everybody seems

The team has lost its starting quarterback, two leading rushers, leading wide receiver, best corner-back, best linebacker, and an All-American defensive end. It has turned over the better part of its coaching staff and the last two recruiting classes are mediocre at best by SEC standards. Add to this waiting nearly a decade for something good to happen and it turns out what we got was an injury plagued 2016 season with inexplicable losses to South Carolina and Vanderbilt in what was supposed to be our return to championship form. I mean sheesh man, of course we're a bit down about this whole thing.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not ever going to look at our team and say we will lose. Until we lose, we are going undefeated! Go VOLS! And buck fama and buck our bs fans that don't appreciate where we are and where we came from . Some people will ***** until they die and call it being a realist and some people hope for the best and make the best of the worst! Well I know who I want you to be around!

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not ever going to look at our team and say we will lose. Until we lose, we are going undefeated! Go VOLS! And buck fama and buck our bs fans that don't appreciate where we are and where we came from . Some people will ***** until they die and call it being a realist and some people hope for the best and make the best of the worst! Well I know who I want you to be around!

Some people need to be reminded that following your team is supposed to be fun and I don't think it is for some. I often wonder why they're into it at all. Ego, I suspect. I also believe that if a coaching change needs to be made it will happen regardless of my input. I will never actually hope that our team will fall flat on their faces just because it would be an opportunity to get rid of a coach I might not like. I remember the"give your tickets to Alabama fans" when people wanted to get rid of Fulmer.

But most of all, its for the young men that come from far and near to suit up in the orange and each one of them only has that 4 year moment of time to chase a dream. For some I have this question: Do you wish the boys in orange to have the same optimism that you have? For each season? For each game? For each play?

Reactions: 4 people
Some people need to be reminded that following your team is supposed to be fun and I don't think it is for some. I often wonder why they're into it at all. Ego, I suspect. I also believe that if a coaching change needs to be made it will happen regardless of my input. I will never actually hope that our team will fall flat on their faces just because it would be an opportunity to get rid of a coach I might not like. I remember the"give your tickets to Alabama fans" when people wanted to get rid of Fulmer.

But most of all, its for the young men that come from far and near to suit up in the orange and each one of them only has that 4 year moment of time to chase a dream. For some I have this question: Do you wish the boys in orange to have the same optimism that you have? For each season? For each game? For each play?
good post

History has taught us that Tennessee doesn't do well with high expectations. I want every media outlet to trash us and pick us last in the east. Then maybe that will motivate our players and coaches to work that much harder. Doubt is a good motivator.

If they pick us last, the players will just fold their heads and then fold on the field.

If they pick us first in the East, the players will fold on the field then crumble down the stretch.

Just like last year and the year before.

Thanks all to coaching.

to have settled down about this team 121.I'm not seeing a lot of enthuisam as in past years. not hardley any up dates on practices.a few by fingers,but no body else. no post about how great certain players are or gonna be. about how we are gonna win the east,sec.
has everybody taken a wait and see attitude?:thumbsup:

I always have "high expectations" in regards to my beloved Vols. But I also understand that the talent we lost from last years squad is tremendous. Not saying that it can't be replaced, but I'll just sit back and hopefully enjoy the ride.

Winning is fun, losing is not.

Maybe you meant prior to that when Jones' S&C program was ineffective, management of injuries was sub-par, and supposed "great recruiting" did not produce sufficient depth?

It is pretty much always something. First year, transition... not his players... not left anything... S&C wasn't good enough.

Second year, too young and thin.

Third year... still too young and thin.

Fourth, year...

The injuries and depth are the responsibility of the HC. He is the "caretaker" of the program, remember? But even then... the Vandy AND USCe losses were completely inexcusable. UT STILL had better rosters than either of those teams. Those two losses are what stood between UT and the East and the Sugar Bowl.

Reactions: 3 people
the ACC and BIG have been better than the SEC the last two years, top to bottom. aside from Alabama, no one else has been carrying the flag.

as for Clemson and Dabo, even thru 2013, there were a lot of questions about what his "ultimate" success rate could be. those early years the ACC wasn't great, and it wasn't nearly as deep a conf as it is now.

"clemsoning" came about under his watch, and it was due to the successive losses to USCe (lost 5 straight 09-13), the inconsistency against FSU(1-3 his 1st 4 years), and the bowl game performances....

i remember clearly here in the carolinas after the orange bowl they got waxed in by 70 or whatever, it was definitely a question as to whether or not they should get rid of Dabo and get someone that could get them over those humps. the argument being that the ACC wasn't great, and it was a two horse league...FSU and CLemson.

they started to turn a bit of a corner, as they beat Auburn twice, beat GA in an opener, and then beat LSU in that peach bowl. while all that was happening though, you still had the annual loss to USCe, and sparse success against FSU. those were the games keeping them from doing something nationally relevant.

he made the changes to the staff, and the rest is history.

it was premature to really consider firing him at the time, but the talk was real, and fairly loud.

The ACC "Yes" but the B1G has been beat by every other confernce in the bowl season. Their Record in Bowls agains the SEC is not very good over the past few years! They are highly over rated!!!

I'll hang out back here in the back of the hype bus, until I see something to jump up and down about. I've been jumping up and down at the beginning of the last 2 seasons, to wind up at the back of the hype bus again. I'll just ride along, and see where this team (and coaches) takes us. My nerves need a break. GO BIG ORANGE!!!

At this point, the less media attention UT gets, the better. After the past year, sports columnists and commentators are down on the program, the team and the HC, so most mentions tend to be negative. It's less distracting to go dark and wait and see where we're at this fall.

I'll hang out back here in the back of the hype bus, until I see something to jump up and down about. I've been jumping up and down at the beginning of the last 2 seasons, to wind up at the back of the hype bus again. I'll just ride along, and see where this team (and coaches) takes us. My nerves need a break. GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Shotgun!

The ACC "Yes" but the B1G has been beat by every other confernce in the bowl season. Their Record in Bowls agains the SEC is not very good over the past few years! They are highly over rated!!!

Florida has lost to Michigan in a bowl recently, Auburn has lost to Wisconsin in a bowl recently, LSU lost the opener to Wisconsin last year. Alabama lost to Ohio St in the playoff a couple years ago...it's a little more even that it used to be in this regard.

Reactions: 2 people
The apathy this off-season is simply the result of losing to Vandy and South Carolina last Fall. If it isn't the heartbreaking close losses in 2015, then it is losing to two horrible teams with a distinct talent disadvantage. Just seems like it is always something that is holding us back. Can't blame people for being skittish.

This team can go 9-3 best case scenario, but most likely will go 8-4 or 7-5 if they lose the opener to Ga Tech.

This team can go 9-3 best case scenario, but most likely will go 8-4 or 7-5 if they lose the opener to Ga Tech.

There are so many unknowns about this team, I could see anything from 10-2 to 5-7. I think we will go 8-4 or 7-5, losing to the big four (Bama, Florida, Georgia, LDU) and possibly dropping another random game if history is any indication.

There are so many unknowns about this team, I could see anything from 10-2 to 5-7. I think we will go 8-4 or 7-5, losing to the big four (Bama, Florida, Georgia, LDU) and possibly dropping another random game if history is any indication.

10-2 would require winning one of the following at Florida, at Alabama or LSU in Knoxville. Which one do you think the Vols could win?

I just don't see it, but anything is possible if these guys come together as a team and they avoid injuries.

10-2 would require winning one of the following at Florida, at Alabama or LSU in Knoxville. Which one do you think the Vols could win?

I just don't see it, but anything is possible if these guys come together as a team and they avoid injuries.

I could see us winning at the Swamp: Florida lost a lot on defense and is still figuring out what to do on offense.

I could see us winning at the Swamp: Florida lost a lot on defense and is still figuring out what to do on offense.

And we have holes and questions all over both sides of the ball. Add in that we haven't won at Florida since 2003. Winning in Gainesville is a long shot at best imo.

And we have holes and questions all over both sides of the ball. Add in that we haven't won at Florida since 2003. Winning in Gainesville is a long shot at best imo.

Agreed. That is why I'm leaning toward 8-4. 10-2 is our optimistic ceiling, but I don't see it. New coaches, new starters, many unknowns for us as well.

I'm quietly optimistic, for sure.

Without looking at the schedule, here's what we have:

A veteran OL that's shown flashes before, but should be at the very least stronger/better than they were last year. We have a true 2-deep across all five positions there.

I'm assuming we start Dormady over Guarantano. JG isn't going anywhere, though, because he'll either be a RS Junior when the job is his, or Dormady will pull a Mitch Trubiskey and go pro after one year. Dormady has that kind of talent.

John Kelly, CFA (who had zero negative yards in the O&W game), and Ty Chandler coming in. With Dormady starting, we'll really be showcasing our WR's, stretching the field, and not relying on a three-headed monster on the ground.

I am a little concerned about DL depth, but our starters should be legit if they stay healthy for the year: Kongbo, Shy, K-Mac, and Kyle Phillips... backed up by DT's Vickers, Picou, and DE's Austin Smith and Darrell Taylor. Vickers and Taylor are probably the more reliable of our 2nd stringers.

Bituli should really help bolster the LB corps.. We all know DKJr. And having McDowell back from his ACL injury plus Colton Jumper (who was a disaster two years ago, but proved his worth last year), I like our depth there. We just need health and consistency.

And a secondary featuring the new kid from UGA/Louisville, Justin Martin, Marqille Osborne at CB, Buchanan and Gaulden holding down Nickel, and a troupe of safeties including Todd Kelly, Nigel Warrior, Micah Abernathy, and Evan Berry. That should be our strongest layer of defense.

So that's the team.. If I were to issue grades,

QB: A

RB: B+

OL: B/B+

TE: B+

WR: A-

DL: B

LB: B

CB/S: A+

Looking at the schedule is where it gets interesting... What scares me is starting the season off with three games in 13 days. I imagine Indiana State being a bit of a dud kind of game.

(N/@-- it is in Atlanta) GT: toss-up, because I don't like that option attack. But I don't think their defense will stop our passing game (again, assuming Dormady wins the job). I'll predict a W

Indiana State: Dud win

@Florida: toss-up, but I don't fear UF nearly as much as years past. They've got a brand new QB (Franks hasn't taken a single college snap). They lost a lot on defense, but should still have a stout DL. I think we split UGA and UF, and I'd rather us beat Florida, so I'll say W.

UMass: Win, duh

Georgia: Toss up. These games have been incredible for the last handful of years. There's no way to predict it. We'll have some good film on them after they play App State, @Notre Dame, and Mississippi State the week before. Sticking true to my Florida prediction, this is a highly uncertain L.

BYE

Carolina: By god if we don't win, this doesn't look good for Butch. Especially if we lose two of GT, UF, or UGA. We have to get that Muschamp monkey off our back. W

@Bama: You're a fool if you don't project this as an L. Just being realistic.

@Kentucky: This is a dangerous game, as it's back-to-back away games, and Kentucky was able to upset Louisville last year. They could be coming off three straight wins if they handle business against Mizzou and Mississippi State, but State should be a kinda good. Should still be a W, but may not be as easy as we've come to expect.

Southern Miss: Win, win win win

@Mizzou: They're the weakest team in one of the weakest divisions of the P5 conferences. Should be a solid W

LSU: Toss up. A fun toss up. Who knows? They'll have a bye, then @Bama, Arkansas at home, then traveling to Knox. Hopefully they'll be worn out and we'll be revved up. I'll predict a W based on that alone, but I'm not at all confident about it.

Vandy: If we lose this game, we fire Butch. Butch usually does well with his back against the wall, though. Win

So after all that, I guess I'm more optimistic than I gave myself credit for. That's 10 wins, although the UF and LSU games could easily swing the other way.

I'm down for a sneaky good 9-3, with a luck chance at the SECCG, and hopefully an Outback Bowl or better.

My thoughts as well. 9-3 is this team's ceiling IMO. With all GA has coming back this year, I feel like the East is theirs to lose.

VN Store

Back