Embarrassing

As they say, this all escalated quickly. After some really good wins, the LVs lost a conference game.

"Oh my, that NEVER happened before!!!!! "Fire the coach! The players are too distracted by politics! (But I am totally cool with them having prayer circles cause that is not a distraction), And their hair!!! Women amirite? I SHALL NEVER WATCH THIS TEAM AGAIN!!!!!!"

We win against bama and at least the drive posters go some where else for a while....

I'm not sure if you are referring to me but I will say this. I don't pay much attention whether they are winning to losing.

I paid this my once a month visit this days only to find a bunch of hand wringing like it's a surprise a fringe Top 25 team looks like so many others around women's college basketball. I am frankly surprised by the expectations but I guess we all figured they would at least play hard under Harper but it's clear she is going to have to win to get elite recruits. Pretty bad when you can't even get the sister of a current player.

And yes I think most of the complaints on the football board is dumb and you won't find me apart of it. I deal in realities. They look like a bunch of crazed idiots with incessant whining.

Because of the kneeling I said I would no longer attend or watch the Lady Vols basketball team play anymore, and I have not. I do check out the box scores.

It seems to me that if you are a basketball team that is very average you would not want any distractions that only compounds the frustrations that many Lady Vols fans feel.

Because of the kneeling I said I would no longer attend or watch the Lady Vols basketball team play anymore, and I have not. I do check out the box scores.

It seems to me that if you are a basketball team that is very average you would not want any distractions that only compounds the frustrations that many Lady Vols fans feel.

It's called delusion due to popularity of the action. Never mind that they aren't that good. It's like Vandy doing it. Whose watching anyway?

Get the players that focus on basketball on the basketball court, and you'll also find a work ethic that makes people proud until they get better.

...This is really the crux of the matter. Forget the loss, or the kneeling, but it was the half-assed effort of certain players that has so many fans disgusted. You can debate how much is Kellie's ineffectiveness as a coach, and how much is self-centered laziness of certain players who clearly haven't bought in, but it's hard to see it getting better....

If a player only plays in bursts, it is not the player. The player has shown they can take over a game...But a coach doesn't let a player drive them-self. The player has to WANT to play hard for every second and it is up to the coach to either get that out of them or find another occupation.

Pat Summitt was less than ten feet from me in Chattanooga in 1996 when she said one of the most influential quotes I have heard from ANYONE!

"I will coach anything but passion, if I have to teach you to love my game, I don't want you"

These are words I heard with my own ears and I am 100% in agreement.

I'm not sure if you are referring to me but I will say this. I don't pay much attention whether they are winning to losing.

I paid this my once a month visit this days only to find a bunch of hand wringing like it's a surprise a fringe Top 25 team looks like so many others around women's college basketball. I am frankly surprised by the expectations but I guess we all figured they would at least play hard under Harper but it's clear she is going to have to win to get elite recruits. Pretty bad when you can't even get the sister of a current player.

And yes I think most of the complaints on the football board is dumb and you won't find me apart of it. I deal in realities. They look like a bunch of crazed idiots with incessant whining.

This board has been in a meltdown since the Georgia collapse. So, no I was not addressing you specifically, just the general tenor.

But, is there some law that sibling athletes must go to the same school? There are a lot of reasons why one player might choose a school different from where a sibling plays. To make that outcome an indictment of Coach Harper, is really stretching to throw some salt in wounds.

And the Lvs have beaten two top 15 teams. They got rattled by the GA pressure. The real test is how they bounce back from this one.

Last edited:
could go on and on.
You kinda did. But it was an epic grand exit post.
I'm not a life coach, but that sounds like the right decision to me. You don't like the product, you don't care for this generation of players and even less for their politics. Everything about it seems to tick you off and make you long for the bygone days, Probably best to move on. Cheers!

No couches were harmed dyring the posting.

In all seriousness, all of these newbies who suddenly emerged (after biding their time waiting for a loss) likely are doing so for one of the following reasons:

(A) They're butthurt over the knees;

(B) They're bored with the football situation in limbo while they wait for a resolution (although the transfer portal threads are hopping);

(C) They're just trying to get a rise out of Lady Vol fans (As one admitted, "I rarely watch women's basketball"). In other words, although I almost never use this popular internet term, they are simply being the "t-word."

Probably best approach is to just ignore them. A glance at their history shows which sports actually capture their interest and why we've never seen the majority before.

I have a brother who has admitted that he often posts fictitious stuff on VolNation and elsewhere just to get people riled up. He thinks it's hilarious. Come to think of it, he alwas did have a bit of a sadistic streak.

Maybe, just maybe, some are tired of everything needing to be political. Anyone is free to make a political statement due to the sacrifices of millions of men and women, but it feels like it is for show when it is done this way.

It's called delusion due to popularity of the action. Never mind that they aren't that good. It's like Vandy doing it. Whose watching anyway?

Get the players that focus on basketball on the basketball court, and you'll also find a work ethic that makes people proud until they get better.

There was a time this program was relevant enough it would have mattered. That time has long passed.

Unfortunately for the players, whatever message they're trying to send gets completely lost with the clear lack of effort on the court. Hell, no matter where you stand on the kneeling issue, no one is even debating players clearly half-assed the game...

Reactions: VOLED

I'm not a life coach, but that sounds like the right decision to me. You don't like the product, you don't care for this generation of players and even less for their politics. Everything about it seems to tick you off and make you long for the bygone days, Probably best to move on. Cheers!

There was a phrase based on British politics, that I just love: "brexiting" --- as in, John's been in the kitchen for over an hour brexiting (i.e, telling everyone he is going to leave the party because it is so bad but not actually ever leaving).

I think we have our homegrown version of brexiting - ladyvolnation-iting

Well then I guess it’s a good thing that the only people they have to actually answer to are the Lord and Kellie Harper instead of the fans who want their heads on a spit for kneeling.

Amen.

Walker is out of her league as a starter. Horston is not ideal at PG, but she's really the only option at that position given the roster.
I'm not quite ready to give up on Jordan W yet, probably bc we need desperately for her to fulfill her role. I know you've always felt she wouldn't be consistent enough against good competition and sometimes she hasn't been. But we've played best when she plays well and can keep us out of the less than ideal situation, the other Jordan, at primary PG. Last game, with Walker playing only 9 mins, the two Jordans and Salary combined for half our 24 t.o.s which is definitely not SEC competitive PG play.

Our best offensive games have been what KJH said she envisioned at the position, a healthy and contrasting combination of the two Jordans. I still think JH could get better shots and up her average a bit at the 2 guard spot. We need JW to step up in order to allow that to happen.

I could see an argument, especially if you think JW definitely won't be able to make that contribution, for letting JH just play through her rough patches. Arguable that her potential upside is greater than the current cost of her struggles. I'm just not quite sold on that and I think JH reaches her real upside at off guard.
no matter where you stand on the kneeling issue. ..
Pun intended?

Last edited:
Reactions: tn4everlvfl
If a player only plays in bursts, it is not the player. The player has shown they can take over a game...But a coach doesn't let a player drive them-self. The player has to WANT to play hard for every second and it is up to the coach to either get that out of them or find another occupation.

Pat Summitt was less than ten feet from me in Chattanooga in 1996 when she said one of the most influential quotes I have heard from ANYONE!

"I will coach anything but passion, if I have to teach you to love my game, I don't want you"

These are words I heard with my own ears and I am 100% in agreement.
At the risk of starting up again, and I truly don't want to do that, and with all due respect, those words were not exclusive to your ears. Pat Summitt said that, like 10,000 times in every motivational speech, in interviews, and in her several best selling books. I'm sure her trademark words were especially meaningful when heard up close and personal though.

At the risk of committing LV blasphemy, is that even true? Isn't that exactly the biggest coaching challenge? To keep kids focused, bought in, and on task throughtout a long season. Of course you can't overcome some innate traits like general laziness or brattiness. But you wouldn't recruit those kids anyway. I guess it all depends on your definition of effort and lack thereof and what causes that to occur.

The only words I ever heard PS say up close and personal were once during the Meek era when I attended practice and she was getting after a player but in a really funny, almost good humored way. After a botched assignment, Pat told the player, "I send you to the store for a coke and you come back with a darn Pepsi!" Everyone laughed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jim43
In case there are Lady Vols that read these forums, although given what is spewed here i hope they don’t, I would like to let them know that I fully support their efforts at social justice. I will continue to watch because you kneel as well as my love of the LVs since the 80s. I salute that you are making an effort to create change, and striving for an education, and trying to play Tennessee ball at a time when it is not easy to be a LV fan. Very proud of you all; it takes very strong women to do what you are doing.

In case there are Lady Vols that read these forums, although given what is spewed here i hope they don’t, I would like to let them know that I fully support their efforts at social justice. I will continue to watch because you kneel as well as my love of the LVs since the 80s. I salute that you are making an effort to create change, and striving for an education, and trying to play Tennessee ball at a time when it is not easy to be a LV fan. Very proud of you all; it takes very strong women to do what you are doing.

I like what you stand for and how you stand, TX

You, my friend, are a breath of much needed fresh air.🧡

... At the risk of committing LV blasphemy, is that even true? Isn't that exactly the biggest coaching challenge? To keep kids focused, bought in, and on task throughtout a long season. Of course you can't overcome some innate traits like general laziness or brattiness. But you wouldn't recruit those kids anyway. I guess it all depends on your definition of effort and lack thereof and what causes that to occur....

Actually, the biggest challenge in coaching is to keep an open path for those who don't define themselves early on.

Coaches, all of them, including me unconsciously pick favorites for different qualities...this one I like to kid with,,,this one I like the way she practices,,,this one represents the values I stand for,,,,this one is my diamond in the rough, my golden child, MY unearthed FIND...etc

The successful coach never lets their feelings get in the way of equality for the team...No special rules for special players...All have equal opportunities and all have equal penalties for breaking the rules...If I let one disrespect me and I don't handle it right, I open the door for one of two things,,,,everybody else to disrespect me or everybody else to quit on me.

That is the hardest challenge in coaching

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
The overreaction on this board us rather crazy. Either all is great it all is lost. Either Marat is the steal of the class or she can’t play at this level.
Granted it was a horrible second half snd s loss that should not have occurred? But let’s not give up hope.

We have to accept the good with the bad. Yes that was a terrible display of LVbball , but let’s not forget the strides they have taken With coach Holly Harper! Someone said we did not expect them to go undefeated in which is TRUE! It’s a process so we may still have games where we look like **** BUT I’ve seen more improvement this season than I have the past decade so I’ll be patient ! Hopefully you all will as well ! #LVFL

The overreaction on this board us rather crazy. Either all is great it all is lost. Either Marat is the steal of the class or she can’t play at this level.
Granted it was a horrible second half snd s loss that should not have occurred? But let’s not give up hope.
I think with Marta it is just a matter of experience. I think she got thrown into the fire to soon. She did ok with the less talented players pre SEC. In the SEC she hasn't adjusted to the speed of the players and is trying to do a lot more than she is capable of right now. If I was her coach I would ask her to play more in the team concept take the open shots but avoid trying to create off the dribble as this has been her biggest problem and where the maximum of her turnovers are happening.

I think with Marta it is just a matter of experience. I think she got thrown into the fire to soon. She did ok with the less talented players pre SEC. In the SEC she hasn't adjusted to the speed of the players and is trying to do a lot more than she is capable of right now. If I was her coach I would ask her to play more in the team concept take the open shots but avoid trying to create off the dribble as this has been her biggest problem and where the maximum of her turnovers are happening.
Marta has a ways to go...that foot speed is dreadful..

VN Store

Back