Embarrassing

Agree with the OP. I realize it wasn't an intentional thing, but what a shame that the most elite, respected team in the sport has fallen to this level. Same for the football team. The Lady Vols sure didn't do themselves any favors by disrespecting the National Anthem either. Hopefully things will eventually turn around and get better.

I guess Bear Bryant forgot how to coach a few seasons.
To be elite.you need.both good coaching and good players.
So far I would say our coaching has been average with above average, but not great, players.
JMO

It was also said Bear could take his players and beat you, take your players and beat you.
Meaning good coaching wins.

Reactions: mcannon1
If Arkansas and Indiana are top 20 teams, women's basketball isn't that deep. Indiana has played 3 good teams and lost all 3, although we're mostly competitive. Arkansas has been beat by double digits 3 times and struggled to put away and 0 and 5 UF team in the SEC. If Dungee wasn't 17 for 17 from the FT line that could have been a loss. Although on the other side Briggs scored 41(2 less than Vandy as a team) and they still hung on to win. I just don't think to myself that's a good team when watching either Indiana or Arkansas.
Whatever.....

The UT administration doesn't give a damn about this program. They showed that by getting the cheapest hire they could with Kellie and her husband.

It is what it is. Fans need to let go of the notion that this program will ever be great -- let alone elite -- ever again. That ship sailed long ago. So sad to see one of the greatest dynasties in college sports history become what it is today.

It’s super sad because even with the program being in the state that it’s in, we still have top-15 talent. With a stellar coach, we’d be on track to at least regaining relevance in conference play, as well as the national scene.

It seems that Harper is only slightly better than Holly. She, IMO, hasn’t proven to be an upgrade by any means. We needed a *significant* upgrade, and someone who could introduce a new brand of LV basketball.

It’s super sad because even with the program being in the state that it’s in, we still have top-15 talent. With a stellar coach, we’d be on track to at least regaining relevance in conference play, as well as the national scene.

It seems that Harper is only slightly better than Holly. She, IMO, hasn’t proven to be an upgrade by any means. We needed a *significant* upgrade, and someone who could introduce a new brand of LV basketball.
She is unwilling to chastise players. They, and I mean some, are lazy, apathetic, and would never see the court with Pat. What befuddles me is WHY our current coach and former coach would not and will not hold these players accountable. Is there something I don't understand?

Agree with the OP. I realize it wasn't an intentional thing, but what a shame that the most elite, respected team in the sport has fallen to this level. Same for the football team. The Lady Vols sure didn't do themselves any favors by disrespecting the National Anthem either. Hopefully things will eventually turn around and get better.
and sadly they plan to avoid it the rest of the year!! Snowflakes?

It has been said that coaches of yesteryear and players from yesteryear who are coaches today find it difficult to coach/develop today's players. There have been coaches fired for trying to use their old methods on today's players.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Coaching maybe?

Maybe coaching plus a positive team atmosphere. Westbrook had a rusty start after missing so much time but now she is a solid, hustle player and improving every game. One stat that stands out 28 assists and 13 turnovers.
One thing about an Auriemma team - you hustle or your ass is on the bench.

She is unwilling to chastise players. They, and I mean some, are lazy, apathetic, and would never see the court with Pat. What befuddles me is WHY our current coach and former coach would not and will not hold these players accountable. Is there something I don't understand?

The Evil Genius, Auriemma, is often quoted as saying, "We don't teach effort at UConn." I take that to mean that it is simply understood that above average effort is expected and demanded at all times. I've seen him bench such stars as Breanna Stewart for lackluster effort.

I, like you, don't know why Harper doesn't seem inclined to make constant effort part of the culture, by whatever means necessary. She appears as rigid about allowing sleepwalking as she is about taking unused TOs home after every game.
It's a mystery.

The Evil Genius, Auriemma, is often quoted as saying, "We don't teach effort at UConn." I take that to mean that it is simply understood that above average effort is expected and demanded at all times. I've seen him bench such stars as Breanna Stewart for lackluster effort.

I, like you, don't know why Harper doesn't seem inclined to make constant effort part of the culture, by whatever means necessary. She appears as rigid about allowing sleepwalking as she is about taking unused TOs home after every game.
It's a mystery.
Yeah, coaches are expected to make decisions wisely. They just don't. Jones, Warlick, Pruitt, Harper. It baffles me when it seems so simple.

Players have to want to play for you. They have to WANT to give you their all.
Conversely as a coach, you have to be able to bring out their all.

I'm not putting this on the players
Kellie already did that in her presser...."Nope!"
There's a time to take responsibility and this was it!

Kellie said it in her presser..."GA made adjustments" that netted a
19-2 run
At some point we should have made some too:
Our post play was working, we went away from it
Our guards towered over their guards, yet we didn't post up the mismatches

want to take the life out of players?
Let them suffer through runs like this without at least trying to stop it.

An ugly win followed by an ugly loss, where you go out and toss them under the bus.!
Sorry folks, I can't defend that
It isn't the players that should be embarrassed in this one

I am inclined to agree. But they also do not hustle as others point out. Multiple times we turn it over and jog back and give up layups. In the under two turnover strip of Rae on the wing, take a look as an example. They made it into a 4 on 1 when neither Horsten or Rae ran. There is a disconnect when that happens and I don’t see effort that says she has them bought in or concerned with the consequences.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Well LSU best A&M last night...
Stupid turnovers that led to easy baskets as their players ran harder. We looked like we read the press clippings that we were ranked and could win by showing up.
Our bigs looked better tonight than any other time this season- but the rest of the team stunk.

UConn could seriously embarrass us when we play if we don't clean things up fast.

I am inclined to agree. But they also do not hustle as others point out. Multiple times we turn it over and jog back and give up layups. In the under two turnover strip of Rae on the wing, take a look as an example. They made it into a 4 on 1 when neither Horsten or Rae ran. There is a disconnect when that happens and I don’t see effort that says she has them bought in or concerned with the consequences.

It;s not as much "what" that concerns me, but the "why"
What happened to turn Jekyll into Hyde?

Reactions: VolBalls33
Well LSU best A&M last night...
Stupid turnovers that led to easy baskets as their players ran harder. We looked like we read the press clippings that we were ranked and could win by showing up.
Our bigs looked better tonight than any other time this season- but the rest of the team stunk.

UConn could seriously embarrass us when we play if we don't clean things up fast.
They will and they won’t.

I was amazed at her comments last night on the news. Pat would've been peeling paint off the walls had her team just lost a big lead like that, especially at home, and lost. Kellie was like "well we've just got to do better." She seemed less worried about it than Holly did when her teams did similar stuff, TBH.

I was amazed at her comments last night on the news. Pat would've been peeling paint off the walls had her team just lost a big lead like that, especially at home, and lost. Kellie was like "well we've just got to do better." She seemed less worried about it than Holly did when her teams did similar stuff, TBH.

I thought she was pretty real right at the beginning of the press conference. She expressed that she was extremely disappointed and that they had talked about in the locker room.

She avoided all the turnover questions, which is a little annoying. They don’t seem to bother her as much as everyone else which infuriates me. I understand she sees practice and knows where her team is. The product on the floor hasn’t been pretty the last two games though and there seems to be no consequence for TOs in live games.

If I had 6 TOs like Horston last night in HS I wouldn’t have been on the floor. I wouldn’t have even made it to 6 because after the 3rd unforced TO you got to have a seat by coach and someone else got to give it a go. If you weren’t mentally ready to play you got to physically sit. TOs are mental errors. Plain and simple. You need time to think about them.

Just saying, “that’s how they force you to play” didn’t cut it for me. We’re the Tennessee Lady Vols the attitude has to be WE set the tone of the game and THEY play how WE want them to. Not the other way around. We were at the mercy of the LSU and UGA defense the last two games. We didn’t control one single aspect of the LSU game or the second half of the UGA game. Got our butts handed to us in bag.

Last edited:
I thought she was pretty real right at the beginning of the press conference. She expressed that she was extremely disappointed and that they had talked about in the locker room.

She avoided all the turnover questions, which is a little annoying. They don’t seem to bother her as much as everyone else which infuriates me. I understand she sees practice and knows where her team is. The product on the floor hasn’t been pretty the last two games though and there seems to be no consequence for TOs in live games.

If I had 6 TOs like Horston last night in HS I wouldn’t have been on the floor. I wouldn’t haven’t even made it to 6 because after the 3rd unforced TO you got to have a seat by coach and someone else got to give it a go. If you weren’t mentally ready to play you got to physically sit. TOs are mental errors. Plain and simple. You need time to think about them.

Just saying, “that’s how they force you to play” didn’t cut it for me. We’re the Tennessee Lady Voms the attitude has to be WE set the tone of the game and THEY play how WE want them to. Not the other way around. We were at the mercy of the LSU and UGA defense the last two games. We didn’t control one single aspect of the LSU game or the second half of the UGA game. Got our butts handed to us in bag.

were they unforced,,,I will be charting them later I will post the results

I know many people like to look at unforced vs forced.

I view them all as unforced. TOs are one of the few aspects of the game that you truly have control over. Valuing the basketball and staying mentally focused prevents them. We did neither last night.

A lot of them last night were technically “forced” since Georgia had 16 steals. The vast majority of them were just us standing and holding the ball and they poked it away and ran it down the court. Not like we were making a move and got our pocket picked. Just plain lazy, mentally lax play.

OK some of ya'll, especially the drive-bys, are seriously crazy! Taking it personally are you? Yes it was painful to watch but we've been here before. It stabs the heart every single time the LVs show they are STILL capable of playing roll around the floor ball like the Saturday morning church league. Don't worry, a really good game will happen again to unrealistically raise our hopes.

She is unwilling to chastise players.
You sure?? Been to practice? Her meetings with the players? Do you mean Kellie doesn't grab em by the jersey and make a public point of the chastisement? Some coaches are very successful without the theatrics. Tara Vandever comes to mind.

It has been said that coaches of yesteryear and players from yesteryear who are coaches today find it difficult to coach/develop today's players. There have been coaches fired for trying to use their old methods on today's players.
Yeah, it was alot better when you could knock em around a bit, or run em til they puke. Or even a torture rack. I hear that's Geno's secret.

Oh goodie. A totally unbiased expert analysis no doubt. Can't wait.

And WTF are you talking about? Seriously? Kelly slapped the players around 10 mins before the game and that's why the sucked? Maybe she was just summoning yesteryear as a pregame warm up? Seems like someone (besides you) would have reported on such a bizarre thing, But it would explain the trance they appeared to play in.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back