Embarrassing

Let's face it.

While there is much justified criticism of the coaching to be made, many of these "fans" who have newly discovered the LV forum are here due to one thing and one thing only:

The players kneeled during the playing of the national anthem.
Which is a petty reason to be on the forum. At least they aren’t destroying property and physically hurting people.

Which is a petty reason to be on the forum. At least they aren’t destroying property and physically hurting people.

No couches were harmed dyring the posting.

In all seriousness, all of these newbies who suddenly emerged (after biding their time waiting for a loss) likely are doing so for one of the following reasons:

(A) They're butthurt over the knees;

(B) They're bored with the football situation in limbo while they wait for a resolution (although the transfer portal threads are hopping);

(C) They're just trying to get a rise out of Lady Vol fans (As one admitted, "I rarely watch women's basketball"). In other words, although I almost never use this popular internet term, they are simply being the "t-word."

Probably best approach is to just ignore them. A glance at their history shows which sports actually capture their interest and why we've never seen the majority before.

I have a brother who has admitted that he often posts fictitious stuff on VolNation and elsewhere just to get people riled up. He thinks it's hilarious. Come to think of it, he alwas did have a bit of a sadistic streak.

200w.gif

Last edited:
Um, it's 'knelt'. The players knelt . . .

Even though I wrote "kneeled, " I always say "knelt" in conversation.

But I did go ahead and look it up just to be sure. Various grammar blogs disagree, but the gist is that most say they're interchangeable although "knelt" is almost always preferred in "British English" whereas "kneeled" is found mainly in "American English."

I believe Oxford Dictionary just lists knelt while at least one other called kneeled "substandard." Even though kneeled seems to be acceptable in informal, everyday use, it seems that all acknowledge that knelt should always be used in professional and academic writing.

Of course, all of us here are pros and academics.

So how many speeches and threads must we have about the people leaving the Lady Vols or disliking the team. Very easy to cancel your account here and leave never to return. We won't miss any of you or the drama you try to bring on a daily basis. So please stop with the announcements and go away so we can support our team because I am and will always be a fan. If I really thought all of you would leave I would be overjoyed, but some of you love what you are doing and will never give it up.

Would you like to actually respond with some facts otherwise. Whatever...., seriously? Why even respond.
I did. Their record. That's facts. Running down their wins as non- significant... They beat who was out in front of them....sorry you have trouble comprehending.

Reactions: Bret178
I post on both the football and Lady vol sites.
I try to give an honest assessment what I see both in being critical and supportive. I'm an old dude and back in my day a coach was not afraid to chew your butt out when you screwed up. Today's coaches and players are of a different era and the players seem to be a little thin skinned I think everybody has to toughen up a little bit.

Her entire class next year is exactly what you want. True PG with great athleticism and handle shooting guard that is nasty on D side and loves contact to get to rim and two bigs that can shoot 3. In CHRIST Alone
With all due respect that same refrain has been used every year for the last 6 years.....wait until next recruits so and so will be the savior of this team .....final four for sure......tiresome to say the least.

With all due respect that same refrain has been used every year for the last 6 years.....wait until next recruits so and so will be the savior of this team .....final four for sure......tiresome to say the least.
Tiresome and oh so predictable. Oldest fan adage in the world, everyone's favorite quarterback is the one who's not playing. Every high school player who hits a couple of 3s in a row is the long range gunner of our dreams. It's harmless and it gives us (false) hope, but it is kind of funny.

So how many speeches and threads must we have about the people leaving the Lady Vols or disliking the team. Very easy to
Along with "wait til next years recruits get here!" the dramatic diva exit is a fan board staple. Especially funny for posters with 5 posts. "Never again will I yearly darken this board or follow this team" .

I also love regular posters who dramatically exit a contentious thread , announce they're done for the day (Nighty night!) and then post six more replies. Goodbye is truly the hardest word.

With all due respect, I don't think that is what most of the "mob" is saying. Calling for Harper to be fired is nothing more than a knee jerk over reaction from long frustrated Lady Vol fans. In my opinion, it certainly isn't justified. Quick trigger calls for termination are neither credible nor justified---even at Tennessee (Turnstile U.). However,...

Calling for Harper to demand that her players consistently conduct themselves like college basketball players within the bounds of their talent levels is totally justified. Talent and skill varies widely. Hustle and effort are available to the lowest talent level and the highest talent level equally. It is the coach's obligation to see that hustle and effort are maintained or to enforce that requirement by sitting those who don't so that someone else can represent the team. I think teaching that obligation may be her biggest challenge with this roster and it is her job to address the issue during a game, not in the post game presser.

Kellie Jolly didn't play lazy and neither did her teammates. If she had, she wouldn't have been playing.

I spoke specifically of the "Fire the coach", and I thought I stated it as such. To respond to your above statement, I say yes, the frustrated fans, be they b ball of f ball, have a right to complain and in the case of this last ladies game, there should be explanations to the fans and severe repercussions for the players.

Let's face it.

While there is much justified criticism of the coaching to be made, many of these "fans" who have newly discovered the LV forum are here due to one thing and one thing only:

The players kneeled during the playing of the national anthem.

I think there is something to be said for this. I think the kneeling speaks to a bigger issue. These players aren't focused on basketball and haven't been for a long time. I think the program got away from recruiting players who loved basketball first. Oddly enough it appeared Holly started the trend toward cute players because many either didn't have a love for basketball first, or they were terribly developed individually and as a team. The later two we know for sure. Somehow she was able to keep getting top players or maybe the flawed ones in her later years.

The players I have seen recruited over the last decade have "mostly" lacked leadership skills, basic basketball fundamentals, a high competitive drive, seem more concerned about their makeup, their hairdo's, the way they wear their shorts and now social issues they probably lack a real understanding about because leadership requires understanding, honesty, humility, compassion and toughness instead of allowing a group you are responsible for to be led by MSM and social media.

I have to be honest, I've let LV basketball go. After many years of frustration watching the program go down the drain. I've watched two minutes at most. I don't even know their record so I don't even get upset anymore. I have discovered women's basketball in general is a boring product. My love for the LVs during the CPHS era blinded me as I fel in love with it at a young age. I would struggle to name 4 or 5 players on the team today. Now I think it sucks off the hind teat of football money as does many non revenue sports because this program isn't making it's own money anymore as the product has made it more fringe. The LVs can't select recruits anymore and struggle to get interest from many of the top players. And yes, I've been bitter since the way I saw Warlick treating Speedy, one of the last Summit warriors.

I could go on and on. Political correctness is why the program is in the tank now. It got you Holly and it got you Harper. Let's face it, we all want Harper to succeed for her coaching resume didn't blow the doors off anyone. The budget wasn't there as well after still owing Warlick and Jones severance. She was less expensive and satisfied the social crybabies.

This post might get deleted. Someone will complain. They always do. Hard facts bother people. This is NOT about politics it is more about the character, leadership and ability of the players and coaches in the program and has been since the last title. They can't just put on the jersey and get a W. The players have to have some pride and hard work is still important to success.

I'm out!

Last edited:
With all due respect, I don't think that is what most of the "mob" is saying. Calling for Harper to be fired is nothing more than a knee jerk over reaction from long frustrated Lady Vol fans. In my opinion, it certainly isn't justified. Quick trigger calls for termination are neither credible nor justified---even at Tennessee (Turnstile U.). However,...

I called for Holly's firing years before it became fashionable, mainly because I thought it would lead to hiring a coach more deserving to lead a program like Tennessee. While I've been critical of Kellie, I really don't care if she's fired or not. What would be the point? It's clear the powers that be would just go to the next branch of Pat's flimsy coaching tree, and we're right back to where we started. Kellie is a weak coach, but the real problem goes beyond her.

Calling for Harper to demand that her players consistently conduct themselves like college basketball players within the bounds of their talent levels is totally justified. Talent and skill varies widely. Hustle and effort are available to the lowest talent level and the highest talent level equally. It is the coach's obligation to see that hustle and effort are maintained or to enforce that requirement by sitting those who don't so that someone else can represent the team. I think teaching that obligation may be her biggest challenge with this roster and it is her job to address the issue during a game, not in the post game presser.

Kellie Jolly didn't play lazy and neither did her teammates. If she had, she wouldn't have been playing.

This is really the crux of the matter. Forget the loss, or the kneeling, but it was the half-assed effort of certain players that has so many fans disgusted. You can debate how much is Kellie's ineffectiveness as a coach, and how much is self-centered laziness of certain players who clearly haven't bought in, but it's hard to see it getting better.

I still care too much to make any melodramatic soliloquys about not following the program anymore. But I will say this is not a fun group to root for. When it's obvious certain players don't care, I'm finding it harder and harder for me to find reasons to...

I think there is something to be said for this. I think the kneeling speaks to a bigger issue. These players aren't focused on basketball and haven't been for a long time. I think the program got away from recruiting players who loved basketball first. Oddly enough it appeared Holly started the trend toward cute players because many either didn't have a love for basketball first, or they were terribly developed individually and as a team. The later two we know for sure. Somehow she was able to keep getting top players or maybe the flawed ones in her later years.

The players I have seen recruited over the last decade have "mostly" lacked leadership skills, basic basketball fundamentals, a high competitive drive, seem more concerned about their makeup, their hairdo's, the way they wear their shorts and now social issues they probably lack a real understanding about because leadership requires understanding, honesty, humility, compassion and toughness instead of allowing a group you are responsible for to be led by MSM and social media.

I have to be honest, I've let LV basketball go. After many years of frustration watching the program go down the drain. I've watched two minutes at most. I don't even know their record so I don't even get upset anymore. I have discovered women's basketball in general is a boring product. My love for the LVs during the CPHS era blinded me as I feel in love with it at a young age. I would struggle to name 4 or 5 players on the team. Now I think it sucks off the hind teat of football money as does many non revenue sports because this program isn't making it's own many anymore as the product has made it more fringe. The LVs can't select recruits anymore and struggle to get interest from many of the top players. And yes, I've been bitter since the way I saw Warlick treating Speedy, one of the last Summit warriors.

I could go on and on. Political correctness is why the program is in the tank now. It got you Holly and it got you Harper. Let's face it, we all want Harper to succeed for her coaching resume didn't blow the doors off anyone. The budget wasn't there as well after still owing Warlick and Jones severance. She was less expensive and satisfied the social crybabies.

This post might get deleted. Someone will complain. They always do. Hard facts bother people. This is NOT about politics it is more about the character, leadership and ability of the players and coaches in the program and has been since the last title. They can't just put on the jersey and get a W. The players have to have some pride and hard work is still important to success.

I'm out!

The kneeling makes them hard enough to watch. The complete lack of hustle and care of some on the team only makes it harder.

No couches were harmed dyring the posting.

In all seriousness, all of these newbies who suddenly emerged (after biding their time waiting for a loss) likely are doing so for one of the following reasons:

(A) They're butthurt over the knees;

(B) They're bored with the football situation in limbo while they wait for a resolution (although the transfer portal threads are hopping);

(C) They're just trying to get a rise out of Lady Vol fans (As one admitted, "I rarely watch women's basketball"). In other words, although I almost never use this popular internet term, they are simply being the "t-word."

Probably best approach is to just ignore them. A glance at their history shows which sports actually capture their interest and why we've never seen the majority before.

I have a brother who has admitted that he often posts fictitious stuff on VolNation and elsewhere just to get people riled up. He thinks it's hilarious. Come to think of it, he alwas did have a bit of a sadistic streak.

Spot on and great advice. I will try to heed it.

Along with "wait til next years recruits get here!" the dramatic diva exit is a fan board staple. Especially funny for posters with 5 posts. "Never again will I yearly darken this board or follow this team" .

I also love regular posters who dramatically exit a contentious thread , announce they're done for the day (Nighty night!) and then post six more replies. Goodbye is truly the hardest word.

As they say, this all escalated quickly. After some really good wins, the LVs lost a conference game.

"Oh my, that NEVER happened before!!!!! "Fire the coach! The players are too distracted by politics! (But I am totally cool with them having prayer circles cause that is not a distraction), And their hair!!! Women amirite? I SHALL NEVER WATCH THIS TEAM AGAIN!!!!!!"

We win against bama and at least the drive posters go some where else for a while....

VN Store

Back