Electric Vehicles

EV Fires: A Global Problem that demands a collaborative solution

Researchers around the world are independently working to solve the challenges firefighters face with electric vehicle fires, so why aren’t we sharing our findings?

The District of Columbia Fire and EMS Department (DCFEMS) and UL’s Fire Safety Research Institute (FSRI) recently cosponsored a symposium on the challenges posed by lLithium-ion batteries. The event brought together speakers from several agencies, including the FDNY, NTSD, IAFF and IAFC – to share updates on the hazards posed by these batteries and how they can better work together to identify potential solutions.

Despite the value of these conferences, we often focus our attention on research generated within our own country, mainly from the FSRI, NFPA and FDNY. However, lithium-ion battery fires are a worldwide fire service problem, with researchers around the globe tackling the issue.

EV fires: A global problem that demands a collaborative solution

Batteries%20%26%20EVs%20Project%20Hero_0.jpg

I am 100% convinced that these "EV Fire" stories are funded by the massive ICE industry. You are arguing with people who seriously underestimate the flammability of gasoline. As a dyed-in-the-wool Pyro, I do not.
Or the stories are run because battery fires happen. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Reactions: AM64
I just spent two days in the dark in the ****** city of Memphis. Anybody who gets their power from MLG&W that owns an EV is a fugging moron.

Facts and Statistics
Home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year

So, perhaps you think the solution is to take the resulting construction debris and dump it right out front of the architect's office building (as a way to help the strain on the grid ? which is the topic ).

Surely, these professional designers continually study ways for improvement.
we typically get called out to site if there is a big problem. Its part of our duties to figure it out. plenty of 3rd party reviewers as well. And if its our fault there is a very real possibility we lose our career or some type of very real blowback (being uninsurable is a death sentence).

The issue in this comparison is we don't build the houses. Tesla designs, manufacturers, and builds/assembles. we design, someone else manufacturers, and a third person builds.

"AIA members are dedicated to the highest standards of professionalism, integrity, and competence."

Now, we can also suppose that our elect Utility professionals adhere to a similar standard (right, or disagree?).

Now, tell us where between-the-lines you are seeing the worry and concern from Duke (because, some of us hear professional planning and competence from Duke) --

EV Charging - At Home or on the Road - Duke Energy (duke-energy.com)
1. Not a member of AIA, those self serving jack arses won't be getting any of my money. I am "just" an RA, Registered Architect, which an AIA member would also have to be to be considered an Architect.
2. depends on what you mean by utility professionals, the answer is likely "no". The people making decisions at those utilities are likely not a professional engineer (PE), which would have standards similar to an architect (RA). They will have PE's on staff, but they as a public utility they aren't held to the same standards as a private firm/architect/engineer.
3. Not sure what you wanted me to get from this link, but this boilerplate language is what I am talking about with #2. "Duke Energy is not affiliated with the manufacturers or vendors, does not expressly or implicitly warrant the performance of the products and is not liable for any damage caused by these products or for any damage caused by the malfunction of these products. Any non-Duke Energy logo or trademark is owned by its respective manufacturer or its assignee. Duke Energy, 400 South Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC 28202. "
4. I definitely believe most utilities are planning for it, but that doesn't mean they are achieving it, or will achieve with their current system. Covid still has most electrical utilities backed up. It can take 2 years to get a transformer for an apartment, still, and there are probably several of them on a lot of these big apartment complexes. those transformers are paid for by the private developer but owned/operated by the utility. so again the burden isn't as much on the utility as you think it is. They are power generation and distribution. the private side of things is pretty self supporting which is why there are more standards/eyes on us rather than the utilities.

Makes far more sense than the nonsense that politicians and advocates of change generally push as fact supporting positions. I'm still surprised that some of the EV lobby haven't proposed windmills on EVs to charge the cars while driving. Advocates of perpetual motion and alchemy still thrive in other forms. I'm not against change, but I'm thoroughly against propaganda driven change, and that's what drives the climate change fever.

Looks like they could recapture some energy from the wheels turning to extend battery life.

Tesla actually does that very thing. Google "regenerative braking," which also extends brake life.

I was thinking of something like an alternator on each hub or one that’s connected to all four hubs but looks like they’ve found a better way.

Year to date I've spent $122 on premium gas for my MB. The Tesla has become the primary vehicle now and dominates the local trips.

LMAO .... Dumb ass goes out & buys a Tesla then stops on her way home to get gas ......

a video from battery-powered phone of a battery-powered vehicle, watched by viewers plugged in to and charged by the grid.

think of the relief to the grid, as more and more fuel pumps are taken off-market

How Gas Pumps Work | HowStuffWorks
The power that drives the pumps usually comes from the same electric grid that powers the lights and appliances in your home,

VN Store

Back