Electric Vehicles

The expectations of the middle class to “just adapt, buy electric” is delusional. The price of new vehicles is insane anyway, used ones for that matter too. Going higher with all the materials required for mfg and oh, everyone has to have the “tech package” now on every vehicle. $$$ Much of America is in debt up to their eyeballs, can’t imagine a large swath running out and signing up for $50K + more on top of the debt they already have. Let’s not even get into the number of people that have almost no retirement savings and couldn’t miss a single paycheck due to no emergency fund. What are we letting these policies out of DC do to us?? Insane.

Enough new pickup trucks on the road that I don't really put much stock in the expense reasoning. And with those super 120mo loans the payments are really manageable!

Reactions: LouderVol
The expectations of the middle class to “just adapt, buy electric” is delusional. The price of new vehicles is insane anyway, used ones for that matter too. Going higher with all the materials required for mfg and oh, everyone has to have the “tech package” now on every vehicle. $$$ Much of America is in debt up to their eyeballs, can’t imagine a large swath running out and signing up for $50K + more on top of the debt they already have. Let’s not even get into the number of people that have almost no retirement savings and couldn’t miss a single paycheck due to no emergency fund. What are we letting these policies out of DC do to us?? Insane.

Not to mention having to spend $8-10 grand every 5 -7 years to replace the batteries or another $60k to replace the car.

Enough new pickup trucks on the road that I don't really put much stock in the expense reasoning. And with those super 120mo loans the payments are really manageable!

That's about the only reason their moving off the lots. If we still maxed loans out at 60 months with 5-6% interest rates the dealers lots would be full of those luxury grocery getters.

That's about the only reason their moving off the lots. If we still maxed loans out at 60 months with 5-6% interest rates the dealers lots would be full of those luxury grocery getters.
Wife and I couldn't figure out how all these people afford these new trucks. Once we found these new and improved loan terms it made sense. Of course we are naturally frugal

Not to mention having to spend $8-10 grand every 5 -7 years to replace the batteries or another $60k to replace the car.
Updated projections have batteries lasting between 10 and 20 years.

Reactions: 865er
We are considering an electric vehicle. We will still need a gasser for long trips. But for McMom's daily commute, electric is feasible. I am partial to the hybrid vehicles, though.

Wife and I couldn't figure out how all these people afford these new trucks. Once we found these new and improved loan terms it made sense. Of course we are naturally frugal

For personal vehicles I'll do 60 months max and for the last two they were 0% for 60.

Reactions: NEO
10 years ago the prices for EVs was a lot more than 10k off the average.

Depending on your make, model, and location you are paying about 4 cents per mile to charge a car. That works out to be 15 bucks for the average " full charge" .

The green strategy has always been high up front cost vs lower back end payments.

I never understood the resistance to them. It's another way you can decrease your dependence. If you are a prepper and have some PV panels it's a great way to ride out some down time.

Reactions: zeppelin128
We are considering an electric vehicle. We will still need a gasser for long trips. But for McMom's daily commute, electric is feasible. I am partial to the hybrid vehicles, though.

I think EVs are a great option for most commuters. Wouldn't work for our family but for most an EV would be just fine.

For long distance trips, hauling, and towing we need to be pursuing Natural Gas vehicles. Something you've been advocating for years.

If the true reason for the push to eliminate gas/diesel vehicles was reducing pollution they would be pushing for expanding the NG distribution system and NG vehicles.

If the true reason for the push to eliminate gas/diesel vehicles was reducing pollution they would be pushing for expanding the NG distribution system and NG vehicles.
My company had a whole lot of NG trucks and a filling station here on site. They're changing back due to the cost and availability. Just can't take any long trips

Reactions: AM64
My company had a whole lot of NG trucks and a filling station here on site. They're changing back due to the cost and availability. Just can't take any long trips

That's the problem with NG powered vehicles, we don't have the infrastructure to support them.

Reactions: AM64
Good to know, and opposite the information my son is getting. But of course he manages a plant that builds fuel tanks for the big 3 so his info might be skewed.

Another interesting fact that nobody talks about is mileage and weight. At least the car/truck gets lighter as you burn the fuel. With EVs you can be running on empty and you are still hauling around the same weight in dead batteries.

VN Store

Back