East Tennessee Weather II

Crossville might of received some decent snow. Was snowing there at 8 last night.
Hardin Valley area got about an inch.

Edit: I’m surprised we got that much as it was still rain at 2 am and the temp was lower than expected. I guess that layer of air above freezing was a little thicker than anticipated.

Reactions: MetVol
Not sure what the difference is with that HRRR run, but this one is showing something completely different.

View attachment 349129
10:1 ratio is way too high during this event and doesn't consider the melting occurring at the surface. For this event, I was sharing the snow depth map from the HRRR which accounted for the lower snow ratios and melting at the surface.

Hardin Valley area got about an inch.

Edit: I’m surprised we got that much as it was still rain at 2 am and the temp was lower than expected. I guess that layer of air above freezing was a little thicker than anticipated.
Wound up with just under 2 inches at our place this morning in northern Sevier County. Temps were about 2-3 degrees colder this morning which made a huge difference in the valley. Still lots of variation in the valley with just 0.5 inches or less in many spots and then upwards of 1-2 inches in others. Most of it should be gone this afternoon across the valley.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Heads up!

For posters living in West and parts of Middle TN, the chances for a bad ice storm the next few days is increasingly likely. If you need to get some shopping done, I would recommend getting it done now. Some models are showing up to an inch or more of freezing rain in a few spots.

Reactions: headhunter15
Heads up!

For posters living in West and parts of Middle TN, the chances for a bad ice storm the next few days is increasingly likely. If you need to get some shopping done, I would recommend getting it done now. Some models are showing up to an inch or more of freezing rain in a few spots.

NWS Memphis just put up a graphic calling for .36" of ice for my area in Tipton.

Edit: You think it could be more than that?

Last edited:
I see a whole lot of cold rain between now and Tuesday. Is there not any chance of it turning into white stuff for the valley?

Here in southwest Indiana we are expecting temps in the low teens this weekend with wind chills below 0. Then Monday the "huge snow event" is expected. Projecting 10-14 inches in my area currently. We haven't had a snow like this in about 12 years.

West TN is poised to finally get an epic snowfall. Wouldn’t be surprised if we exceed 6 inches or even get close to a foot.

Here in southwest Indiana we are expecting temps in the low teens this weekend with wind chills below 0. Then Monday the "huge snow event" is expected. Projecting 10-14 inches in my area currently. We haven't had a snow like this in about 12 years.
Here in upper Iowa we have had windchills at about -30 the last few days. Actual temps at about -20. Going to be even lower the next 2 nights. I miss SE TN weather sometimes. Have about 14 inches of snow on the ground. Haven’t put eyes on grass in a month.

West TN is poised to finally get an epic snowfall. Wouldn’t be surprised if we exceed 6 inches or even get close to a foot.

NWS is saying 3-5 but I've seen some say more. Plus we got another chance Wednesday into Thursday too but I'm not sure how worried they are about that threat.

NWS is saying 3-5 but I've seen some say more. Plus we got another chance Wednesday into Thursday too but I'm not sure how worried they are about that threat.

And now it’s 6-8 inches for West TN. They keep going up since the models haven’t wavered on the insanely high totals.

I'm happy for West TN folks. Seeing a lot of snow in West TN is even rarer than in East TN. Unfortunately, I think that East TN is going to be dealing with freezing rain instead of snow.

Here in upper Iowa we have had windchills at about -30 the last few days. Actual temps at about -20. Going to be even lower the next 2 nights. I miss SE TN weather sometimes. Have about 14 inches of snow on the ground. Haven’t put eyes on grass in a month.

Where in Iowa?

VN Store

Back