Doug Matthews on the OC

He also said they weren't leaking anything.....right after telling what he had heard.

Matthews is struggling to stay relevant.

UTAD isn't leaking anything after the last "egg on face" disaster involving 95% done deal for OC. They'll let everything play out as it happens from now on.

They way it should be even if the fans and media don't like it.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
JG's SEC ranking as a passer:
completion percentage 7 out of 14
QB rating 8 out of 14
passing yards 11 out of 14
passing TDs 12 out of 14
fewest ints 1 out of 14
rushing yards 14 out of 14
rushing TDs 14 out of 14

His rankings put him ahead of only Arkansas & Kentucky, and Wilson was 2nd in rushing yards plus KY went 10-3. So at best JG was the 2nd worse QB in the SEC this season, not all his fault but that's just how it falls by the numbers. He had the fewest INTs and fewest attempts.
Put the other QBs in the SEC behind our Oline and see where they finish in the rankings. I am surprised that JG or the RBs are still able to walk after this season. Need bigger and faster players at every position.

Last edited:
At this point an internal hire proves how bad we are from a desireability standpoint. While that would surprise no one, publicly acknowledging it by taking 2 months to get turned down by numerous coaches only to hire internally would be a major gut punch for the program and all who support it.

Reactions: UTwild82
Put the other QBs int he SEC behind our Oline and see where they finish in the rankings. I am surprised that JG or the RBs are still able to walk after this season. Nedd bigger and faster players at every position.

Objectively I think only Storey & Franks would have struggled more than JG.

Wilson & Fitzgerald would have done better because of their legs. So I guess he's 12th outta 14 then?

I wasn't trying to play what ifs, his stats are what they are numbers don't lie. Guarantano has yet to be above average. He is to this point a "bust" unfortunately. 4 star #1 ranked Dual Threat QB coming to UT and has a career average of less than 3k total yards (passing & rushing) in 2 seasons as the starter.

I suspect you will all be smacking yourself in the head at how obvious this choice was from the beginning and why a methodical, somewhat lengthy, process was necessary. While I agree that the PR around coaching searches continues to be a disaster, I think very few of us will be critical of the choice (and the process followed) once it is announced. Don't @ me - because this is all I'm going to say about this.
Haha another supposed insider huh? You don't know squat, or you'd say it.

Doug Mathews was wrong. Pretty simple. Therefore shouldn't be trusted in the future. That's what happens when you screw up....and it's not up to us to rack our brains trying to justify him. "Well maybe he_______".....Forget that noise. Its his job to decipher what's trustworthy or not before reporting it.
This is probably the most ignorant statement I’ve seen on Volnation in awhile.

Objectively I think only Storey & Franks would have struggled more than JG.

Wilson & Fitzgerald would have done better because of their legs. So I guess he's 12th outta 14 then?

I wasn't trying to play what ifs, his stats are what they are numbers don't lie. Guarantano has yet to be above average. He is to this point a "bust" unfortunately. 4 star #1 ranked Dual Threat QB coming to UT and has a career average of less than 3k total yards (passing & rushing) in 2 seasons as the starter.
I guess it is difficult for some to look at the whole picture.

JG's SEC ranking as a passer:
completion percentage 7 out of 14
QB rating 8 out of 14
passing yards 11 out of 14
passing TDs 12 out of 14
fewest ints 1 out of 14 (lead league)
rushing yards 14 out of 14 (not a relevant qb stat) you said passer rankings, literally not a passing stat
rushing TDs 14 out of 14( not a relevant qb stat)""

ypa 6th( was fifth before bowls) tried to leave off then lied about rank

His rankings put him ahead of only Arkansas & Kentucky, and Wilson was 2nd in rushing yards plus KY went 10-3. So at best JG was the 2nd worse QB in the SEC this season, not all his fault but that's just how it falls by the numbers. He had the fewest INTs and fewest attempts.
In QB rating he is 8th, but if you take into account all stats he finished 13 outta 14. YPA is a useless category as well, since WRs & YAC can skew it. But he was 7 outta 14 in that category.

Ultimately JG was not the reason TN went 5-7, but he simply may not be the guy. He isn't anywhere near as talented or productive as Dobbs who arguably had a worse offensive line (based on recruiting ratings).

Dumb posts like these show why people say the anti-JG guys either have some agenda or are just stupid. I fixed a couple mistakes in the original post for you too.

Were are the stats he finished 13th of 14 in? They don't exist.

Several lies and omissions. Then emphasis on stats that literally don't matter for a qb that are not passing stats.

I will break all the stuff you said down simply so all the anti JG guys can understand.

2018 SEC College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN

First of all he lead the league in one very important stat. He finished no worse than 12th out of 14 in any stat. That does not add up 13th worst out of 14 in stats or performance.

Once again you said rating. His rating literally puts him at 8 after his worst game of his year drug it down. He was top 4 literally all season before that.

All stats don't hold the same value. Rating, int rate, completion percentage, ypa, and tds are the relevant qb stats for passing qbs.

Rating- 8
Completion % 7th- .07 behind 5th place
Ints- 1st
ypa- 6th not 7th
tds- 12th

Using actual relevant qb stats that everyone uses averaged out puts him at 6th or 7th in the SEC with some of the worst talent and the worst line in the SEC.

YPA is relevant. It shows if you are dinking and dunking or going downfield. We didn't not have any wrs that got big yac.

You claim that something so relevant should be ignored and is skewed by other players because it didn't fit your agenda. Then you post about rushing yards which literally do not matter for a qb and are never brought up when discussing passing and is totally dependent on the worst line and blocking in the SEC. They are literally not listed under passing stats because they aren't.

He was around 7th all with the worst line and a lack of speed on offense. Then rookie coaches in every position and a rookie play caller who ran the ball 60% of the time.

You either have agenda or just have no idea how averages or stats work. The as you say "rankings" have him nowhere near 13th seeing as the only stats he was 13th or 14th in was attempts.

I'd say probably agenda since you lied about and omitted several things in your posts. Once again were are all the 13th of 14th PASSING STATS you claimed there were?

About 7th.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Dumb posts like these show why people say the anti-JG guys either have some agenda or are just stupid. I fixed a couple mistakes in the original post for you too.

Were are the stats he finished 13th of 14 in? They don't exist.

Several lies and omissions. Then emphasis on stats that literally don't matter for a qb that are not passing stats.

I will break all the stuff you said down simply so all the anti JG guys can understand.

First of all he lead the league in one very important stat. He finished no worse than 12th out of 14 in any stat. That does not add up 13th worst out of 14 in stats or performance.

Once again you said rating. His rating literally puts him at 8 after his worst game of his year drug it down. He was top 4 literally all season before that.

All stats don't hold the same value. Rating, int rate, completion percentage, ypa, and tds are the relevant qb stats for passing qbs.

Rating- 8
Completion % 7th- .07 behind 5th place
Ints- 1st
ypa- 6th not 7th
tds- 12th

Using actual relevant qb stats that everyone uses averaged out puts him at 6th or 7th in the SEC with some of the worst talent and the worst line in the SEC.

YPA is relevant. It shows if you are dinking and dunking or going downfield. We didn't not have any wrs that got big yac.

You claim that something so relevant should be ignored and is skewed by other players because it didn't fit your agenda. Then you post about rushing yards which literally do not matter for a qb and are never brought up when discussing passing and is totally dependent on the worst line and blocking in the SEC. They are literally not listed under passing stats because they aren't.

He was around 7th all with the worst line and a lack of speed on offense. Then rookie coaches in every position and a rookie play caller who ran the ball 60% of the time.

You either have agenda or just have no idea how averages or stats work. The as you say "rankings" have him nowhere near 13th seeing as the only stats he was 13th or 14th in was attempts.

I'd say probably agenda since you lied about and omitted several things in your posts. Once again were are all the 13th of 14th PASSING STATS you claimed there were?

About 7th.

Oh...now I see.

Good luck next season Jarrett, I hope you do well!

12th in completions (fewest)
14th in attempts (fewest)
7th in completion %
11th in passing yards
6th in YPA
12th in passing TDs
1st in INTs (fewest)
8th in QB rating
14th in rushing yards
14th in rushing TDs
12th in wins

You're a #1 ranked dual threat JG, rushing yards matter especially since your first season playing was with a RPO offense. Literally the only player to have negative rushing yards the last two seasons here...even Dormady managed positive yards.

SMH, I like JG but he hasn't proven anything yet.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
I suspect you will all be smacking yourself in the head at how obvious this choice was from the beginning and why a methodical, somewhat lengthy, process was necessary. While I agree that the PR around coaching searches continues to be a disaster, I think very few of us will be critical of the choice (and the process followed) once it is announced. Don't @ me - because this is all I'm going to say about this.
Okay. Lol

Oh...now I see.

Good luck next season Jarrett, I hope you do well!

12th in completions (fewest)
14th in attempts (fewest)
7th in completion %
11th in passing yards
6th in YPA
12th in passing TDs
1st in INTs (fewest)
8th in QB rating
14th in rushing yards
14th in rushing TDs
12th in wins

You're a #1 ranked dual threat JG, rushing yards matter especially since your first season playing was with a RPO offense. Literally the only player to have negative rushing yards the last two seasons here...even Dormady managed positive yards.

SMH, I like JG but he hasn't proven anything yet.

Still not seeing any PASSING STATS HE FINISHED 13TH.

COMP% ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT

Under PASSING STATS they list completion%, attempts, yards, ypa, long, tds, ints, sacks, and rating.

So in PASSING STATS

Completions - 12th Not the least in the conference. Two full time starters with less that played more games with more attempts. ANOTHER LIE

Attempts- 14th Bad play calling. Not a positive or negative stat for a qb. They run what the offense is. They need to convert when they get attempts. JG did.

Completion%-7th Top 4 in the SEC for 90% of the season and within .07 of number 5. Good stat for JG

Passing yards- 11th Not bad for last in attempts, ypa was good.

YPA- 6th Top four most of the year. Another good stat for JG

TDs- 12th. Not great did have the fewest attempts and bad inexperienced playcalling. Great td/int ratio

Ints- 1st. Great stat even with low attempts. Set school record. The 13th worst SEC qb can't do that.

Rating- 8th Once again top four or five most of year.

The other things you listed ARE NOT PASSING STATS PERIOD AND ARE IRRELEVANT FOR A POCKET QB. Please show me one stats he finished 13. You claimed there were multiple stats. Still not seeing one.

He is a pro style qb. Dobbs was a DT and listed as a PS. Take it up with the sites. This isn't HS. He is a ps qb and did well PASSING THE BALL.

Also don't start a post claiming to rank passing and leave off passing stats but list rushing stats.

Passing the ball, what a qb actually does, he was about 7th. He passed the ball better than a bunch of SEC qbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not seeing any PASSING STATS HE FINISHED 13TH.

COMP% ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT

Under PASSING STATS they list completion%, attempts, yards, ypa, long, tds, ints, sacks, and rating.

So in PASSING STATS

Completions - 12th Not the least in the conference. Two full time starters with less that played more games with more attempts. ANOTHER LIE

Attempts- 14th Bad play calling. Not a positive or negative stat for a qb. They run what the offense is. They need to convert when they get attempts. JG did.

Completion%-7th Top 4 in the SEC for 90% of the season and within .07 of number 5. Good stat for JG

Passing yards- 11th Not bad for last in attempts, ypa was good.

YPA- 6th Top four most of the year. Another good stat for JG

TDs- 12th. Not great did have the fewest attempts and bad inexperienced playcalling. Great td/int ratio

Ints- 1st. Great stat even with low attempts. Set school record. The 13th worst SEC qb can't do that.

Rating- 8th Once again top four or five most of year.

The other things you listed ARE NOT PASSING STATS PERIOD AND ARE IRRELEVANT FOR A POCKET QB. Please show me one stats he finished 13. You claimed there were multiple stats. Still not seeing one.

He is a pro style qb. Dobbs was a DT and listed as a PS. Take it up with the sites. This isn't HS. He is a ps qb and did well PASSING THE BALL.

Also don't start a post claiming to rank passing and leave off passing stats but list rushing stats.

Passing the ball, what a qb actually does, he was about 7th. He passed the ball better than a bunch of SEC qbs.
So sensitive, no need for that Jarrett good luck in spring training man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for stopping your multiple lies and slinking back off.

Still never saw the multiple 13 rankings you claimed.

Not being sensitive just wanted to correct a ton of inaccuracies. Have a great day.

Dude, he's right and has proven you wrong. Calling him Jarrett won't solve that for you. Just salute the guy for doing a better job with the analysis, and call it a day.

Reactions: k-town_king
Thanks for stopping your multiple lies and slinking back off.

Still never saw the multiple 13 rankings you claimed.

Not being sensitive just wanted to correct a ton of inaccuracies. Have a great day.

Why are you so upset? I subjectively have Jarrett ranked 12th based on last season. His average if you simply add all the rankings together and divide by categories is 10th, if anything where are you getting 7th?

I'm not even going to accuse you of lying, pushing an agenda or calling you stupid. That's childish behavior. His numbers are what they are, if you look at all of them he averaged 10th out of 14th according to the data on sports-reference. If you cherry pick the categories then it changes...you chose to eliminate rushing stats, I don't think YPA means anything...at that point our "rankings" are subjective because we're choosing what to value and not value.

I said "passer rankings" because that was the category title where all the QB stats were located, including their rushing yards per game. Why are you so on uppity about this?

VN Store

Back