Doug Matthews on the OC

The competency of this hire seems to be no different than the prior mess ups at the head coaching position. The less we know the better I think.

Just ackowledged the “95% done deal” wasn’t done, so it was probably Yurcich. So I think we’re all in the same boat...nobody knows nuthin.’
i guess its good to have people on the inside.............ADPF told Mathews some bad info and jinxed the deal. cant trust your sources these days.

Fans were getting restless over the OC hire so possibly Fulmer told Matthews it was 95% locked up so DM would share that info on air and calm the masses. Basilio said it wasn’t even close to being over. The superfans all believed DM and the negaVols didn’t. We now know who was right.

Either way Tennessee is still sh1t at public relations and needs to do a better job with their narratives. The UTAD simply needed to release a statement saying “We’re interviewing many top candidates and will have a guy by NSD”. Then folks aren’t asking why it’s taking so long for that final 5%.

Jack, you are a very glass 1/2 full guy. I gotta give you that. If you think ANY statement or statements by the UTAD would accomplish such a task.

Information starved and impatient fans drawing speculation out of the for-profit media, make that last sentence next to impossible. I'm honestly 100% fine with the UTAD reporting zilch. Just get outta the way and let the few people who actually matter get business done on THIER timetable.

By spring practice nobody will remember this fan/media fiasco ever happened.

Jack, you are a very glass 1/2 full guy. I gotta give you that. If you think ANY statement or statements by the UTAD would accomplish such a task.

Information starved and impatient fans drawing speculation out of the for-profit media, make that last sentence next to impossible. I'm honestly 100% fine with the UTAD reporting zilch. Just get outta the way and let the few people who actually matter get business done on THIER timetable.

By spring practice nobody will remember this fan/media fiasco ever happened.

Haha you’re the first to call me that. I just think about last season. We get blanked in Knoxville by UGA, fans are furious, and nothing from the AD about the future. Should have said something but weeks went by, we lost more games, and still nothing. Fans minds start to run wild and fill in blanks that maybe aren’t even there. Is Butch getting another season? Is Gruden coming?

Maybe that was all on Currie, but you can’t fill a 100k stadium each week and not expect that same fervor on Twitter and the forums. Fill the vacuum for us, UTAD, or we’ll find something to fill it ourselves no matter how ridiculous.

Why not? Tyson Helton was a perfectly good offensive coordinator and he couldn't wait to leave.

It seems like Pruitt wants a certain type of coach, and forgive me but it seems like the hiring of Friend was always a fail safe in case he didn't like the OC being autonomous.

I have no doubts Jeremy Pruitt knows football in and out. So the logical choice seems like Friend. Let's see what he can do.

I'll say this much, until we change QBs....it doesn't matter who the OC is.

Why not? Tyson Helton was a perfectly good offensive coordinator and he couldn't wait to leave.

It seems like Pruitt wants a certain type of coach, and forgive me but it seems like the hiring of Friend was always a fail safe in case he didn't like the OC being autonomous.

I have no doubts Jeremy Pruitt knows football in and out. So the logical choice seems like Friend. Let's see what he can do.

I agree. I don't get all the JG love and excuse making for him. I am not going to bash a young man who has busted his rear and took hits for the team. But, he doesn't have some of the IT FACTORS required to be a GREAT to ELITE QB in the SEC. He is good. But, good doesn't cut it in the SEC. Unless, a .500 or below record is acceptable.

Opinions=buttholes

Doug Mathews was wrong. Pretty simple. Therefore shouldn't be trusted in the future. That's what happens when you screw up....and it's not up to us to rack our brains trying to justify him. "Well maybe he_______".....Forget that noise. Its his job to decipher what's trustworthy or not before reporting it.

I'd think this thing will be wrapped up by the end of the week. Everyone out at coaches convention Jan 6-9 in San Antonio, so one would think that would push it towards a conclusion...that being said, logic doesn't seem to work very well lately, so hope the wait is worth it.

This has been an interesting few weeks to observe Tennessee fans and trolls. There are some who want to now everything even before it happens and generally don't know anything about what is going on. There are those who think they know everything and know nothing and get upset when they are challenged about their lack of knowledge. There are those who think they know more than the people making the decisions and are outraged their speculations prove thay know nothing about anything. There are those who want to know everything and think they know the people who know everything and discover none of them know anything. Then there are those who know that no one knows anything and are smart enought to let the process continue until those who know let those who don't know know what has happened. In the end everything will workout and everything will be OK. The ride has been fun and will continue until it is over. Sit back and enjoy the ride. What will be, will be.

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
This has been an interesting few weeks to observe Tennessee fans and trolls. There are some who want to now everything even before it happens and generally don't know anything about what is going on. There are those who think they know everything and know nothing and get upset when they are challenged about their lack of knowledge. There are those who think they know more than the people making the decisions and are outraged their speculations prove thay know nothing about anything. There are those who want to know everything and think they know the people who know everything and discover none of them know anything. Then there are those who know that no one knows anything and are smart enought to let the process continue until those who know let those who don't know know what has happened. In the end everything will workout and everything will be OK. The ride has been fun and will continue until it is over. Sit back and enjoy the ride. What will be, will be.
Who knew nobody knows when daily info is new, whew!

The last decade proves otherwise. What have they done to warrant any trust? We want to know what’s going on because this school has given us no reason to believe they are competent at making hires.

VN Store

Back