Doug Matthews on the OC

I'm still waiting on the story behind this. If its to be considered, I need to know.

He’s a bad duck. He’s nobody’s friend...so he gets a ball gag.

Aight, thought there might be something beyond that. He doesn't seem to like it much. Haha.

You know they have things called stats that measure efficiency and accuracy and the such.

He did well with the limited attempts the terrible Helton/Friend play calling gave him.

Dude...I know your quest to portray JG as an All-SEC QB is bordering on clinical obsession, but saying that a QB who led his team to a 5-7 record, threw only 12 TDs, and ended the season with -94 rushing yards and 0 rushing TDs , made the most of limited opportunities, is pure trolling even for you.

He also said they weren't leaking anything.....right after telling what he had heard.

Matthews is struggling to stay relevant.
Did you listen to the podcast? Matthews isn't struggling with anything imo. If you listen to what he reported and coincide it with the latest reports on Yurcich being offered and then going to OSU.. It fits.. Only the parties involved know the complete truth.. Matthews stated all Fulmer had told him he could say according to the podcast.. And he has a opinion based off that like you and I.. And he always says if it is his opinion. It's your prerogative to pick your narratives and run with it.. Doesn't mean you are correct.. Same for me..

Dude...I know your quest to portray JG as an All-SEC QB is bordering on clinical obsession, but saying that a QB who led his team to a 5-7 record, threw only 12 TDs, and ended the season with -94 rushing yards and 0 rushing TDs , made the most of limited opportunities, is pure trolling even for you.

This I am by no means a JG hater, but until he proves it on the field he has been a let down. A dual threat QB that doesn't want to run? He's tough and loves UT so I like the kid, plus still has 2 seasons to do something. But his stats have yet to prove him as more than average.

Lol. Perfectly fine?

I guess you don't like passing the ball or scoring points.

When your qb ends up the offensive MVP and your run game is not good you don't run the ball 60%. Friend and Pruitt had to step in he was so "fine."

Helton was pretty terrible. Larry Scott level play calling.

He is lucky he had an efficient and accurate qb like JG who made the most of limited opportunities.

If it's on staff Osovet is the best choice by far.
Friend is an oline coach who has never called a play.

Lucky to have JG???

Butchna is right. Everyone indeed has their own opinion.

Anyway, it seems like we're striking out on guys we want as OC.
Helton imo was handicap by JG. The South Carolina game was a great example of Heltons ability to adapt to personnel. He kept it real simple for JG. But when JG needed to let the ball go on the last play, he ate it...

The online is below average and the below average QB play makes it seem worse.

So whoever the OC is has to be able to do the same thing. Friend has experience and Pruitt would have more direct influence.

Your quest to misreprent all the stats or anything positive about our starting qb is the only obsession here. Or you are just trolling.

He was what 14th in attempts? Yet his accuracy and efficiency were good. He did well with the bad game plan.

The qbs that had more tds had averaged about 100 something more pass attempts.

Here you go trying to bring up irrelevant stats like rushing yards for a college qb.

I guess Will Grier was terrible with his -90 rush yards this year.

Or Fromm with his -27.

Both with much better lines and skill players around them.

Learn to interpret stats and you wouldn't be so off base all the time.

Lucky to have JG???

Butchna is right. Everyone indeed has their own opinion.

Anyway, it seems like we're striking out on guys we want as OC.
Helton imo was handicap by JG. The South Carolina game was a great example of Heltons ability to adapt to personnel. He kept it real simple for JG. But when JG needed to let the ball go on the last play, he ate it...

The online is below average and the below average QB play makes it seem worse.

So whoever the OC is has to be able to do the same thing. Friend has experience and Pruitt would have more direct influence.
You saying Friend has experience tells me all I need to know.

What experience? Coaching the big uglies while the real minds coach the skill positions and call the plays?

He has never called plays. As soon as he left they let the wr coach call plays.

The whole o and especially JG were handicapped by Helton's inexperience and conservative o.

Whenever they opened it up and threw the ball we did well except for a game or two. They wanted to wait until too late to pass though.

Helton and his Larry Scott experience and play calling was the problem along with the line play and runningbacks missing blocking assignments.

Your quest to misreprent all the stats or anything positive about our starting qb is the only obsession here. Or you are just trolling.

He was what 14th in attempts? Yet his accuracy and efficiency were good. He did well with the bad game plan.

Here you go trying to bring up irrelevant stats like rushing yards for a college qb.

Or Fromm with his -27.

Both threw for 2500+ & 30 TDs though...you accept negative rushing yards in those cases, like you did with Manning.

Both threw for 2500+ & 30 TDs though...you accept negative rushing yards in those cases, like you did with Manning.
We had a worse line and he is a passing qb.

The stat is just as irrelevant for JG as it is for any of those guys.

We had a worse line and he is a passing qb.

The stat is just as irrelevant for JG as it is for any of those guys.
Except they both threw for 2500+ and 30 TDs...as well as 170+ ratings with 67% completion averages.

What's crazy is Fromm played in 3 more games and averaged just 1 more attempt per game than JG.

Last edited:

Or Fromm with his -27.

Defenses are more than happy to let you complete an 8-yard pass on 3rd and 12. JG's low number of attempts are not, and never will be a positive for him, no matter how much you try to spin his completion percentage as the holy grail of QB success.

How many TDs did Grier throw? How many rushing TDs did he end up with? You want to focus solely on JG's completion percentage as if it's some magical number that proves he's "good", and all the while ignore literally, every other statistical measure of his performance as a QB.

Terry Lambert over at RockyTopTalk said it best: "So who is Jarrett Guarantano? He’s probably a serviceable, but limited SEC starter."

JG's SEC ranking as a passer:
completion percentage 7 out of 14
QB rating 8 out of 14
passing yards 11 out of 14
passing TDs 12 out of 14
fewest ints 1 out of 14
rushing yards 14 out of 14
rushing TDs 14 out of 14

His rankings put him ahead of only Arkansas & Kentucky, and Wilson was 2nd in rushing yards plus KY went 10-3. So at best JG was the 2nd worse QB in the SEC this season, not all his fault but that's just how it falls by the numbers. He had the fewest INTs and fewest attempts.

JG's SEC ranking as a passer:
completion percentage 7 out of 14
QB rating 8 out of 14
passing yards 11 out of 14
passing TDs 12 out of 14
fewest ints 1 out of 14
rushing yards 14 out of 14
rushing TDs 14 out of 14

His rating put him ahead of only Arkansas & Kentucky, and Wilson was 2nd in rushing yards plus KY went 10-3. So at best JG was the 2nd worse QB in the SEC this season, not all his fault but that's just how it falls by the numbers. He had the fewest INTs and fewest attempts.
His rating literally puts him at 8.

You left out ypa which he was highly ranked in too.

Lol Swain just said he thinks the OC could take a week or two. This is just boring at this point.

LOL!!!!!! Great one Swain. The Guy don't know crap. So, just thow some more shat at the wall and if it sticks, great. If not, throw some more to keep people dialing in 3 weeks from now. These ANALysts.

His rating literally puts him at 8.

You left out ypa which he was highly ranked in too.

In QB rating he is 8th, but if you take into account all stats he finished 13 outta 14. YPA is a useless category as well, since WRs & YAC can skew it. But he was 7 outta 14 in that category.

Ultimately JG was not the reason TN went 5-7, but he simply may not be the guy. He isn't anywhere near as talented or productive as Dobbs who arguably had a worse offensive line (based on recruiting ratings).

VN Store

Back