Doug Marrone potential staff

Ask yourself if any other school is going to hire Doug Marrone.

No? Then wtf would you want an nfl washout with no track record of success? I really can’t think of a worse hire. I’d rather bring back Dooley.
Who else has tried to hire Chadwell or Freeze?

Doug Marrone?

As a staff, he would have:

Hank Stram
Don Shula
Vince Lombardi
Ed 'Too Tall' Jones
and the three amigos as tri-offensive coordinators: Randy Sanders, Dave Clawson, Holly Warwick

Its changed at the NFL level as well. It's not like he's been out of coaching.

I wouldn't be excited about the hire, but I do think we could do much worse

This is where I am at with it. It's not a sexy hire by any means, but if you looked around and had a staff maybe something like this:

HC - Doug Marrone
OC - Jim Chaney
DC - Kevin Steele

RB - Jay Graham
WR - Tee Martin
TE -
OL -

DL - Rodney Garner
LB - Kevin Simon? Travis Williams?
CB -
S -

Some available names out there like Jim Bob, Bo Hardegree, some of Auburns former staff, etc. If you have the names Chaney and Steele and OC and DC respectively you could do much worse. Pruitt's problem has been said to be too much meddling. All Marrone has to do is be a leader and get in-state recruiting back on track. Next year's schedule is super easy. 8-4 should be attainable just by keeping most of our roster and mixing in some Auburn transfers, etc. We regretted not taking the simple route when we hired Dooley. I like Chadwell but it's risky. I'm not sure who else would take this job. If you're taking Steele, there's no Gus you'd assume. Herman is unlikely. We won't touch Freeze. Napier turned down SC already. What else do we have out there?

Reactions: Nouveaux
Best indicator of a coach is his/her record:

Marrone was 25 and 25 at Syracuse while in the Big East - he was however only 11 and 17 in conference (losing conference record);

Marrone was 1 and 2 vs Butch Jones of all people;

Marrone was 38 and 60 in the NFL with with only 2 winning seasons out of 6 total seasons. He went 1 and 15 this past season!

Marrone would be a guy who would get fired after 3-4 seasons at UT.

In addition, he hasn't recruited in college in 20 years. He would be another bad hire, in a long line of them.

Best indicator of a coach is his/her record:

Marrone was 25 and 25 at Syracuse while in the Big East - he was however only 11 and 17 in conference (losing conference record);

Marrone was 1 and 2 vs Butch Jones of all people;

Marrone was 38 and 60 in the NFL with with only 2 winning seasons out of 6 total seasons. He went 1 and 15 this past season!

Marrone would be a guy who would get fired after 3-4 seasons at UT.

In addition, he hasn't recruited in college in 20 years. He would be another bad hire, in a long line of them.
Exactly. UT seems to have a knack for finding and hiring bad coaches thinking it will somehow be different at UT in the toughest conference in all of CFB. How about doing something totally crazy and hire someone who's a winner for a change.

Reactions: patrick
25-25 as a college coach he will be a dumpster hire. Nobody else wants him
Not a good record at SU for sure, but no one wins at Syracuse. They haven’t done a thing since Donovan McNabb left. I’m not saying I want him, I want Freeze, but you don’t go from college to NFL HC without being thought of as a good coach.

Marrone may be going to Bama as a OL coach also Bill O’Brien expected to be OC at Bama

Those are/were 2 potentials on our list going to Bama. I know many will say good but...we need to get on this coaching search sooner than later

This is where I am at with it. It's not a sexy hire by any means, but if you looked around and had a staff maybe something like this:

HC - Doug Marrone
OC - Jim Chaney
DC - Kevin Steele

RB - Jay Graham
WR - Tee Martin
TE -
OL -

DL - Rodney Garner
LB - Kevin Simon? Travis Williams?
CB -
S -

Some available names out there like Jim Bob, Bo Hardegree, some of Auburns former staff, etc. If you have the names Chaney and Steele and OC and DC respectively you could do much worse. Pruitt's problem has been said to be too much meddling. All Marrone has to do is be a leader and get in-state recruiting back on track. Next year's schedule is super easy. 8-4 should be attainable just by keeping most of our roster and mixing in some Auburn transfers, etc. We regretted not taking the simple route when we hired Dooley. I like Chadwell but it's risky. I'm not sure who else would take this job. If you're taking Steele, there's no Gus you'd assume. Herman is unlikely. We won't touch Freeze. Napier turned down SC already. What else do we have out there?

CJzNdTjUEAExz6R.jpg

Don't know who the head coach is going to be. But Dale Jones has quality experience and would bring some fire to the defensive side we haven't seen in years.

Reactions: b_gann
Marrone may be going to Bama as a OL coach also Bill O’Brien expected to be OC at Bama

Those are/were 2 potentials on our list going to Bama. I know many will say good but...we need to get on this coaching search sooner than later

You are correct. Saban is picking up two NFL head coaches, one to be a coordinator, one to be Oline coach. We aren’t even playing in the same realm.

Reactions: tnutater

VN Store

Back