Doug Marrone potential staff

Tired of even hearing the suggestion or possibility of the likes of Marrone.

The SEC is the toughest league in all of college football. If Tennessee wants to compete for championships, the leadership (and by leadership I mean the big money boosters) need to get their collective heads out of their nether parts, and go hire the best damn available coach -- period end of story.

I keep hearing about bringing stability to the program, or well this guy or that guy is better than Pruitt, Jones and/or Dooley. What Tennessee needs is to go hire the best available coach.

In my book, that is Kiffen/Freeze, then Napier, then Fickell, then Chadwell.

I’ll go with your post but Tennessee has never paid top dollar for coaches and will not start now. Lane is certainly NOT that guy (he has never won anywhere of note) and he will not leave Mississippi to come here.

Reactions: onevol74

The SEC is the toughest league in all of college football. If Tennessee wants to compete for championships, the leadership (and by leadership I mean the big money boosters) need to get their collective heads out of their nether parts, and go hire the best damn available coach -- period end of story.

I keep hearing about bringing stability to the program, or well this guy or that guy is better than Pruitt, Jones and/or Dooley. What Tennessee needs is to go hire the best available coach.

Champagne taste and PBR budget...

Reactions: HCVOL09

I agree with most of your post except Freeze and Kiffin. You can shout forever about those two coming but it will never happen. Never!

Kiffen won't come back to Knoxville. He'd have to finally pay off that Lexus he totalled. It's like when Phil skipped the SEC meetings in Birmingham when they were looking to have him arrested.

Reactions: onevol74
Marrone would be the bridge coach to stabilize the program. CEO of the football team and if he has a staff of excellent recruiters and developers, he would put TN back on solid ground to build for the future. With our last 4 hires, we haven't been able to put together any kind of lasting foundation that could be built upon. Marrone could do this. He won't be bullied by the AD or the Admin. He would be brought in to prepare TN football to regain its standing within the college football ranks as a stable, top 15 type job that a younger hotshot coach would want to be part of. And, if against all odds, he hits it big and actually gets TN back in the National picture (which is a crapshoot regardless of which of the coaching flavors of the day you want), everyone wins. JMHO.

No one wanted the job when Pruitt was hired, or Butch Jones or Dooley
Now that’s what’s really Sad!

This late in the process, set Chaney, Tee, or Fulmer himself up as Interim HC and take the time to hire the "right" guy. Remember when Ohio State did this with Luke Fickell as Interim and was able to get Meyer. Just be smart for once.

this is the same idiot who thought king henry wasn't a every down back.

Ask yourself if any other school is going to hire Doug Marrone.

No? Then wtf would you want an nfl washout with no track record of success? I really can’t think of a worse hire. I’d rather bring back Dooley.
L

I don’t know if Marrone is a good coach, the Jags were a talent deficient team but they did play hard.

This late in the process, set Chaney, Tee, or Fulmer himself up as Interim HC and take the time to hire the "right" guy. Remember when Ohio State did this with Luke Fickell as Interim and was able to get Meyer. Just be smart for once.

Tennessee and the word Smart are oxymorons

sadly thats the exact type of stff we should expect and it does absolutely nothing for me.

i'm still waiting to see what tee brings to the table other than a natty over 2 decades ago.

the rest of the staff....big MEH

Pittman got much more from less, something that Pruitt is simply incapable of doing
Pittman had the benefit of Felipe Franks and Pruitt stupidly went with JG. Both had a 3-7 season. I think Arkansas showed a little more fire and Pittman made good coordinator hires and let them do their job.
But neither was great, or even good.

Pittman had the benefit of Felipe Franks and Pruitt stupidly went with JG. Both had a 3-7 season. I think Arkansas showed a little more fire and Pittman made good coordinator hires and let them do their job.

3 years into Pruitt’s rein, Tennessee should have had much more talent, but Pittman got his players to whip up on Pruitt’s vols

The difference is Pittman was a first-time HC in his first year, who took over a team that hadn't won an SEC game since 2017, the bar for improvement was much lower for him than it was for Pruitt.

Reactions: Exiled
I would not be excited about a Marrone hire. I'm not saying he couldn't succeed, but his track record is mixed at best.

The positives: Syracuse was a cellar dweller when he took over and he made them competitive. It's a very difficult job and Marrone did alright there. He was a decent NFL coach outside that last season in JAX where he went 1-15.

But that's it. That's not much to go on. I'm not saying he couldn't succeed, but I'd have a lot of skepticism. Feels like a Dave Wannstadt / Chan Gailey / Bill Callahan / Jim Mora type of hire. People love pointing to Pete Carroll, but Carroll was the exception. The vast majority of NFL-to-college hires flop. The only real thing going for Marrone is that he was a college coach before at Syracuse and he was good, but not great. But that was also 9 years ago. Game has changed a lot since then.

Frankly, I'd take Kevin Steele over Marrone. Which is not an endorsement of Steele, so much as to say I have more optimism that he might succeed. His time at Baylor was ages ago (19 years) and he's a much better coach today than he was then, so it's not out of the question that Steele couldn't be successful. Not my first choice at all, but better than Marrone IMO.

I would not be excited about a Marrone hire. I'm not saying he couldn't succeed, but his track record is mixed at best.

The positives: Syracuse was a cellar dweller when he took over and he made them competitive. It's a very difficult job and Marrone did alright there. He was a decent NFL coach outside that last season in JAX where he went 1-15.

I'm not saying he couldn't succeed, but I'd have a lot of skepticism. Feels like a Dave Wannstadt / Chan Gailey / Bill Callahan / Jim Mora type of hire. People love pointing to Pete Carroll, but Carroll was the exception. The vast majority of NFL-to-college hires flop. The only real thing going for Marrone is that he was a college coach before at Syracuse and he was good, but not great. But that was also 9 years ago. Game has changed a lot since then.
Its changed at the NFL level as well. It's not like he's been out of coaching.

I wouldn't be excited about the hire, but I do think we could do much worse

Reactions: preacherwebb

Arkansas should have gone 4~6. They were robbed of a game. And just like you said, Pruitt stupidly used JG. His complete mismanagement of the QB combined with the situation with Brumbaugh makes him the worst P5 coach this year in my opinion.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back