Dormady v. Guarantano

As those are highlights from his junior year, he may have improved.

BTW, Astro prefers to be called Joshua.

What? The kid hasn't taken a meaningful snap yet. And in his limited time against backups has been less than distinguished.

FYI he's thrown for the same number of TD passes as WR Jauan Jennings.

This Dormady hype is getting out of hand. He's done nothing to warrant the hype. And wasn't highly touted coming in either.

I'll very calmly say that we are giving a coronation to a high school kid by EVERY ESTIMATION I have read (especially at the all star bowl) who's struggled in several areas and HE HIIMSELF as admitted as much....and Dormady looked fairly good (see that he won the backup spot to Dobbs in the spring) and had a really good spring game and if you were there you saw his leadership skills (which at this level are a HUGE plus)...so just saying that for JQ to come in an win the backup from someone who OBVIOUSLY understands the system very well by now would be FAR ahead in that category would be UNFAIR at best and place pressure on a kid who could probably benefit GREATLY from a redshirt year....but hey...he may...just don't agree with the justification for it...not practical...Oh......and one other thing about meaningful snaps as a backup....the ONLY game we saw him when he was "turned loose" with something other than "hand this ball off and run the clock and lets get out of here" was the bowl game and I think we can ALL agree the main objective with the exception of a couple of throws was to "run the clock and lets get out of here" in that game as well...

Not a lot of changes and adjustments will compensate or overcome that atrocious of an offensive line.

True. The line play was awful in front of Worley.

That being said though, the coaches were the ones who popped Thomas in against Oklahoma on the road and a few more draws or screens wouldn't have hurt take some of the pressure off.

The line drastically improved with Dobbs this season. I think they will have to get even better next season for Dormady though if he ends up getting significant playing time. No argument on which one has the better wheels.

I think JG red shirts next year, dormady starts 2017 and 2018 and we start a cycle of 2 year starters. Jmo

From reports I have heard JG was very good in the practices but did not transfer to the game.

JG was the best all week long during practices and won the skills competition easily. When he played, he played sparingly. Was 1-7 iirc with 2 or 3 WR drops...behind an atrocious OL. No one should take anything of substance from that game. Everyone should be thrilled he chose to be a Vol IMO. Now he just has to compete with a very talented Dormady for the starting job in 2017...it's a win-win for the program.

Reactions: 2 people
JG was the best all week long during practices and won the skills competition easily. When he played, he played sparingly. Was 1-7 iirc with 2 or 3 WR drops...behind an atrocious OL. No one should take anything of substance from that game. Everyone should be thrilled he chose to be a Vol IMO. Now he just has to compete with a very talented Dormady for the starting job in 2017...it's a win-win for the program.

Well said.

QD. The guy is mobile enough when he has to be according to his tape and practice reports. Has a strong arm. I'm not saying we need a big gawty passing game, but we need someone who can atleast give us 200-250 passing yards a game consistently. If we don't open up the passing game, we will be recruiting receivers to block first and maybe catch here and there.

Exactly. We have heard coachspeak about all three. Some have used this as a basis to say Dormady is a great passer and a better passer than Dobbs. There is no proof to the theory though.

I've heard each of the following, all of whom have attended multiple practices as members of the media/as former players, say emphatically that Dormady is a better, more accurate passer/throws a better ball than Joshua Dobbs....Jayson Swain, Seth Stokes, Brent Hubbs, John Brice, Erik Ainge, Doug Mathews and Jimmy Hyams.

Additionally, the best ball I saw thrown all year thrown by a Tennessee QB was the 49 yarder from QD to PWill vs WCar. Of course, I suspect you're gonna downplay it because of who it was against, but it was the best deep throw I saw all year.....followed by Dobbs' throws to Malone vs Ky and and SCar.

Reactions: 3 people
I've heard each of the following, all of whom have attended multiple practices as members of the media/as former players, say emphatically that Dormady is a better, more accurate passer/throws a better ball than Joshua Dobbs....Jayson Swain, Seth Stokes, Brent Hubbs, John Brice, Erik Ainge, Doug Mathews and Jimmy Hyams.

Additionally, the best ball I saw thrown all year thrown by a Tennessee QB was the 49 yarder from QD to PWill vs WCar. Of course, I suspect you're gonna downplay it because of who it was against, but it was the best deep throw I saw all year.....followed by Dobbs' throws to Malone vs Ky and and SCar.

The Dobbs throws were better against way , way, way, way, way better competition. The radio guys don't watch full practices. I have heard all of them praise Dobbs. They have said Dormady can throw. I haven't heard them say he consistently passes better than Dobbs. They haven't said Dormady looks better in practice or ever pushed Dobbs as starter. If I'm wrong point me to a link or something. And a couple of radio guys is not the same as coaches saying Dormady passed better as some poster claim to have seen.

Reactions: 1 person
Dormady is going to take our offense to the next level.
We are good with Dobbs, but....
We are greatly missing the downfield aspect of our offense.
Every other aspect of being a winning QB, Josh Dobbs has. He's a winner, and has made many plays.

Dormady will have a very good o-line blocking for him, and many talented WR's and TE's to throw to.

Jarrett has a ways to go as a passer. Nor does he have the wiggle the Dobbs has. But he does have tremendous arm strength and breakaway speed.

So.. Look for him to hone his skills while Dormady leads us to a championship.

The Dobbs throws were better against way , way, way, way, way better competition. The radio guys don't watch full practices. I have heard all of them praise Dobbs. They have said Dormady can throw. I haven't heard them say he consistently passes better than Dobbs. They haven't said Dormady looks better in practice or ever pushed Dobbs as starter. If I'm wrong point me to a link or something. And a couple of radio guys is not the same as coaches saying Dormady passed better as some poster claim to have seen.

You call Kentucky and SCar "way, way,way, way, way" better competition? No. Secondly, the trajectory, touch and placement of that pass was absolutely perfect and better than any throw I've seen Dobbs make in 3 years, regardless of competition.

The "radio guys" may not watch full practices, but Swain, Ainge, Hubbs and Brice do. And if you haven't heard them say that he throws a better, more accurate ball than Dobbs then you don't listen as often as I do.

Finally, I love Josh Dobbs. I was just in another thread arguing that I'd take him over Tee in a heartbeat. But it's foolish to to ignore that his kryptonite is passing accuracy. His arm his plenty strong and I've seen him make some excellent throws. But he's just not consistently accurate and needs to get better. And there's no doubting that pretty much everyone who covers the team and has seen each throw extensively, says QD throws a better, more accurate ball than Josh. Not that QD is a better QB, because he's certainly not....just that he's a better passer.

Last edited:

I think you inferred that from their comments praising Dormady. None of them said what you're saying.

I also paid attention to all the practice reports from spring and fall camp. Dormady was praised vis-a-vis Jennings in the spring and Jones in the fall. And in some ways he was praised as being ahead of the typical freshmen.

But there were no reports of him out performing Dobbs. You're just reading that into comments that praised him for being ahead of his peers.

Really hard to imagine a true freshman, no matter how talented, will come in and surpass a talent like Dormady for the #2 spot considering his experience in the system over the last year. I'd make the same argument for any true freshman coming into the SEC.

Why are people judging JG off a All star game that doesn't mean crap.Im pretty sure he looked really good during the practice time.JG will hopefully be RS next year and Dormady will be the back up.Heck TN even wanted to RS Manning

FWIW, I was none too impressed with Mecole in the all star game I watched. But that leaves me with no doubt that he is as good as they say. Jacob Eason struggled in the Army All American game too. It's a lot of pressure they aren't *entirely* used to and the adjustment happens when they get on campus and run with the bulls for a bit. JG will be a stud. As far as who wins out? Much too early to tell

Last edited:
And yet what I took away from the spring game was that Dormady challenged Dobbs' accuracy,but Dobbs ultimately won the QB skills challenge including a few skillfully thrown deep balls.

It's different when the oline can't adequately protect the pocket, as was the case early in the season. Accuracy suffers. Once the oline gelled the passing game got better.

But the BEST deep ball at the spring game was actually thrown by Pig wasn't it?

I think you inferred that from their comments praising Dormady. None of them said what you're saying.

I also paid attention to all the practice reports from spring and fall camp. Dormady was praised vis-a-vis Jennings in the spring and Jones in the fall. And in some ways he was praised as being ahead of the typical freshmen.

But there were no reports of him out performing Dobbs. You're just reading that into comments that praised him for being ahead of his peers.

Now you're gonna tell me what I've heard with my own damn ears over and over again on the radio?

So when I heard Jayson Swain, Seth Stokes, Daniel Lewis, Houston Kress, Jimmy Hyams, Erik Ainge, John Brice, Doug Mathews and Brent Hubbs all at different times say that not only does Dobbs need to get more accurate and more consistent throwing the ball, but that in fact QD throws a better, more accurate football than Dobbs, you're now telling me that I didn't actually hear what I thought I heard when I was in my car, either listening to the radio or listening to their apps on my iPhone, driving down the road? Is that about right right? Your arrogance knows no bounds champ.

Reactions: 3 people
Now you're gonna tell me what I've heard with my own damn ears over and over again on the radio?

So when I heard Jayson Swain, Seth Stokes, Daniel Lewis, Houston Kress, Jimmy Hyams, Erik Ainge, John Brice, Doug Mathews and Brent Hubbs all at different times say that not only does Dobbs need to get more accurate and more consistent throwing the ball, but that in fact QD throws a better, more accurate football than Dobbs, you're now telling me that I didn't actually hear what I thought I heard when I was in my car, either listening to the radio or listening to their apps on my iPhone, driving down the road? Is that about right right? Your arrogance knows no bounds champ.

You and your ilk are wrong
- Readervol 😉

I really really hope i get to see what Dormandy can do I love the kid but Guarantano is a better match for the style of Offense we run. I believe Butch will work them both during practice next year and open the QB competition for 2017. Best man wins

You're right I've heard it too but if you point that out it somehow makes you a Dobbs hater. I love JD and he's our starter for a reason.

Dobbs has just as strong of an arm as anyone. Problem is that he doesn't always know where the ball will end up.

On the other side, we've got two talented young qbs. Dormady has a lot of potential, but I don't remember seeing anyone with the natural ability like Guarantano in a long time. The kid has the tools to be a superstar and a top draft pick of developed correctly.

Wrong.

VN Store

Back