Dormady Looks To Be The Best Man for the QB Job

That's the thing, Dormady was a little better and should be, given his seniority with the system.
The reaction was a direct result of "if Jones doesn't start JG, he should be fired immediately" and "you can just see how much better JG is than QD from these 1 minute highlight videos. Dormady doesn't have a chance".

JG has a ton of talent, what you witnessed was people fed up with the collective VN loudmouths constantly making their absolute decrees when it's obvious they are f.o.s.

Oh, and 10/10 is good even for route running practice and really good for even light scrimmage.

Nailed it! Well stated.....,

VN has many self proclaimed keyboard All Americans. SMDH

Reactions: 1 person
I'd love to say Dormandy looked better yesterday, he did. But for all we know maybe JG was told to work on some things and Dormandy was told to just have fun. Obviously Dormandy has been in the system longer and is further developed. The coaches also know what they can get out of Dormandy, JG may be asked to do certain things or change things that he hasn't had time to either get comfortable doing or coaches have had time to figure out if they are hindering him.

Dormandy looked great yesterday, although I wo't crown him yet until he can prove that he can play like that under real pressure and theres a real threat of getting hit hard or blindsided. Thas what will separate the best player for the job, just hope our coaches have learned that just because a QB looks amazing during practice doesn't mean they won't freak out during a real game.

I'd love to say Dormandy looked better yesterday, he did. But for all we know maybe JG was told to work on some things and Dormandy was told to just have fun. Obviously Dormandy has been in the system longer and is further developed. The coaches also know what they can get out of Dormandy, JG may be asked to do certain things or change things that he hasn't had time to either get comfortable doing or coaches have had time to figure out if they are hindering him.

Dormandy looked great yesterday, although I wo't crown him yet until he can prove that he can play like that under real pressure and theres a real threat of getting hit hard or blindsided. Thas what will separate the best player for the job, just hope our coaches have learned that just because a QB looks amazing during practice doesn't mean they won't freak out during a real game.

Dormandy didn't play yesterday.

Reactions: 3 people
That is honestly how I described his play to a friend of mine who couldn't watch the game. I told him that QD looked like a more athletic Tom Brady. Obviously he isn't on that level and the format of the game wasn't what he'll see in September, but that is the first person, style-wise that came to mind. Maybe it's the jersey number.

And watch the Patriots pick him up in a year or two.

That is honestly how I described his play to a friend of mine who couldn't watch the game. I told him that QD looked like a more athletic Tom Brady. Obviously he isn't on that level and the format of the game wasn't what he'll see in September, but that is the first person, style-wise that came to mind. Maybe it's the jersey number.

Could be the jersey. I suspect it's more the calm pocket presence, strong arm and outstanding accuracy

Could be the jersey. I suspect it's more the calm pocket presence, strong arm and outstanding accuracy

Yes, he had all those things in spades yesterday. Looked great, and everything he did looked effortless. He didn't seem rushed or pressed; the calmness and pocket presence you mentioned.

You're taking my post entirely out of context, so don't pretend to tell me what I was saying/meaning/implying.
Um... no. I am taking your words for what they mean. You said that Jones was looking for a reason to start QD. I didn't make that up. You suggested that the rules favored him... but both guys played under the same rules.

I hope QD wins the job, so why would I "disparage and diminish" what he did today? I just feel like Jones woukd prefer him to win the job too because he trusts him and has had a tendency to defer to upperclassmen throughout his coaching career.
I honestly do not care who wins the job. Both seem like good guys who are working hard to earn it. But I do not think there's any conspiracy on Jones' part to start QD... nor do I think there's anything that proves the difference in performance was due to the rules. In fact, some of QD's best plays were when he broke the pocket and hit receivers for good gains. That is good decision making... not a rules advantage.

I don't think it's ridiculous to acknowledge that taking the run away from Guarantano limits one of his strengths more than it does Dormady, nor do I think it affected the success Dormady displayed on the field today. He outplayed JG in the passing game.
Jones has acknowledged that they played to Dobbs' strengths. IIRC, he has the highest number of carries per game of any QB Jones' has had... and it isn't close. So what makes the point unconvincing (not ridiculous) is that there weren't very many QB run plays called... and according to Jones he doesn't want a bunch. Jones has also said that he wants a QB that is a good decision maker and who distributes the ball to playmakers.

Both guys were tested by that same standard.

We can agree to disagree, but I think we both agree that Dormady won the day and probably increased his small lead in the QB race.

I don't think it is something you say when you have a QB race going on... but QD's decision making was miles ahead. He had a hot hand but I wouldn't expect him to be that accurate all the time. If he is... Katie bar the door! But he didn't appear to make many if any bad decisions. That's HUGE.

Reactions: 3 people
They both looked great. Dormady looked a little better but had more chances to pass the ball also. The spring game doesn't really tell much though. Its still neck and neck between two qbs with potential.

They both looked great. Dormady looked a little better but had more chances to pass the ball also. The spring game doesn't really tell much though. Its still neck and neck between two qbs with potential.

JG looked like a guy still learning. Nothing wrong with that. Both definitely have arm talent.

In honesty, I doubt any of us know how close the race is... or isn't. If Saturday was indicative of QD's practice performances... then it probably isn't all that close. I doubt he's that good though.

HOWEVER, one thing that does seem to be somewhat consistent in the few chances we've had to see QD in games or scrimmages is that he throws better in game situations. His passes to #80 and #82 were all but perfect... but he missed some stationary targets in the "challenge" that were easier or very similar throws. He has the instinct to lead receivers open and to hit them on time. That was always my criticism of Dobbs.... he didn't seem to have that instinct even though he had a good, accurate arm.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch is the head coach. He makes the ultimate decision. All our speculation is just that, speculation. Jones knows that the fans that fill Neyland are not happy with just 9 wins. He has IMO, upgraded his staff this season. Hopefully he will value the input of Coach Canales and other coaches to make the best decision based off of actual practice.

Butch is the head coach. He makes the ultimate decision. All our speculation is just that, speculation. Jones knows that the fans that fill Neyland are not happy with just 9 wins. He has IMO, upgraded his staff this season. Hopefully he will value the input of Coach Canales and other coaches to make the best decision based off of actual practice.

Still too early... but to me the QB's looked better as a group than they have since CBJ arrived. Jancek is way behind... but I think you could play with any of the other 4... once S Jones' injury heals.

Many have been calling for a QB coach for a while. Glad Jones came around.

IMO, there didn't appear to be very much improvement on the OL when you consider the guys missing on D.

Still too early... but to me the QB's looked better as a group than they have since CBJ arrived. Jancek is way behind... but I think you could play with any of the other 4... once S Jones' injury heals.

Many have been calling for a QB coach for a while. Glad Jones came around.

IMO, there didn't appear to be very much improvement on the OL when you consider the guys missing on D.

I can agree with this, but didn't the offensive line have a few sitting out also?

I can agree with this, but didn't the offensive line have a few sitting out also?

They did. But there was a lot more left than at the DT and LB positions on D. The guys playing should have dominated that front 7.

It would be fair to point out that J Kelly was missing too. He makes OL's better with his decisions. CFA didn't do bad but not JK level yet.

Um... no. I am taking your words for what they mean. You said that Jones was looking for a reason to start QD. I didn't make that up. You suggested that the rules favored him... but both guys played under the same rules.

I honestly do not care who wins the job. Both seem like good guys who are working hard to earn it. But I do not think there's any conspiracy on Jones' part to start QD... nor do I think there's anything that proves the difference in performance was due to the rules. In fact, some of QD's best plays were when he broke the pocket and hit receivers for good gains. That is good decision making... not a rules advantage.

Jones has acknowledged that they played to Dobbs' strengths. IIRC, he has the highest number of carries per game of any QB Jones' has had... and it isn't close. So what makes the point unconvincing (not ridiculous) is that there weren't very many QB run plays called... and according to Jones he doesn't want a bunch. Jones has also said that he wants a QB that is a good decision maker and who distributes the ball to playmakers.

Both guys were tested by that same standard.

I don't think it is something you say when you have a QB race going on... but QD's decision making was miles ahead. He had a hot hand but I wouldn't expect him to be that accurate all the time. If he is... Katie bar the door! But he didn't appear to make many if any bad decisions. That's HUGE.

1. When I say you are taking my words out of context, I mean that you are misinterpreting my intent. Maybe that's due to poor wording on my part. I never meant to insinuate that Jones is purposely trying to skew the competition to benefit Dormady in some tinfoil hat conspiracy. My point was that I think Butch, in his heart, probably hopes QD wins the job because he has 2 seasons and 3 springs of on the job training now, and there is a certain level of trust built up with Jones in that experience. Obviously, someone as calculated as CBJ would never publicly say that, or even insinuate it, but his tendency to reward/defer to upperclassmen looms large and he would find it hard to fully trust a rFR going into the Swanp in September if he had a nearly equal option who was a Junior.

2. The format of the game (the touch rule) took away the run from the QBs, which is why none were called. It's pointless to call run designed run plays if you have to whistle the QB down upon contact. S. Jones kept on one option play and was almost immediately whistled down. That seems to be a bigger part of JG's skill-set than Dormady's. So, to basically eliminate that part of the game, and essentially force both to be primarily pocket passers benefits QD, IMO. Sure, Dormady got outside of the pocket and avoided the rush and made some great throws on the run in the process, but I'm talking about designed QB runs. So, yes, both guys were tested by the same standard, but that standard limited one player more than the other. Similarly, if two basketball players, one a 6-8 PF, the other a 6-0 SG, are playing 1 on 1, and are told that they can't shoot the ball from outside of the paint, who does that benefit? Same standard, but one player's skills (outside shooting) are negated.

Bottom line, QD outplayed Guarantano, and looked effortless doing it. I just wonder how much more effectively JG could have moved the offense if he were allowed to use more of the designed running plays from the playbook. It may have made no difference, or it may have made a ton of difference. We won't really know until the real games start. If Jones wants to limit the number of designed QB runs, then Dormady is his man this year IMO. He looked much more ready to lead this offense as a pocket passer, which, with his edge in experience is to be expected. JG is still learning and will likely be a fine QB in his own time.

I'm not looking to make this a snarky back and forth encounter, and I apologize if my original wording was not clear. I've made my opinion known, and so have you, and hopefully I've made my point more clear.

Reactions: 1 person
1. When I say you are taking my words out of context, I mean that you are misinterpreting my intent. Maybe that's due to poor wording on my part. I never meant to insinuate that Jones is purposely trying to skew the competition to benefit Dormady in some tinfoil hat conspiracy. My point was that I think Butch, in his heart, probably hopes QD wins the job because he has 2 seasons and 3 springs of on the job training now, and there is a certain level of trust built up with Jones in that experience. Obviously, someone as calculated as CBJ would never publicly say that, or even insinuate it, but his tendency to reward/defer to upperclassmen looms large and he would find it hard to fully trust a rFR going into the Swanp in September if he had a nearly equal option who was a Junior.
:good!: I hope Jones isn't even that biased... but that's a more understandable point.

2. The format of the game (the touch rule) took away the run from the QBs, which is why none were called. It's pointless to call run designed run plays if you have to whistle the QB down upon contact. ...
They called them for Dobbs last year. FWIW, QD seems to get a little testy at the notion that he doesn't have running skills.

JG is still learning and will likely be a fine QB in his own time.
This is a point that many miss (not you necessarily). It is "normal" in good programs to have talented QB's develop for a year or two before getting their shot to start. It is desirable to have that kind of depth and development. UT has only had that a few times in the past 30 years. Manning, Clausen, Bray, Ainge, and Dobbs were forced to start as Fr. That's really not the way you want it.

I'm not looking to make this a snarky back and forth encounter, and I apologize if my original wording was not clear. I've made my opinion known, and so have you, and hopefully I've made my point more clear.

Yep. :hi:

VN Store

Back