Dormady Looks To Be The Best Man for the QB Job

1. When I say you are taking my words out of context, I mean that you are misinterpreting my intent. Maybe that's due to poor wording on my part. I never meant to insinuate that Jones is purposely trying to skew the competition to benefit Dormady in some tinfoil hat conspiracy. My point was that I think Butch, in his heart, probably hopes QD wins the job because he has 2 seasons and 3 springs of on the job training now, and there is a certain level of trust built up with Jones in that experience. Obviously, someone as calculated as CBJ would never publicly say that, or even insinuate it, but his tendency to reward/defer to upperclassmen looms large and he would find it hard to fully trust a rFR going into the Swanp in September if he had a nearly equal option who was a Junior.

2. The format of the game (the touch rule) took away the run from the QBs, which is why none were called. It's pointless to call run designed run plays if you have to whistle the QB down upon contact. S. Jones kept on one option play and was almost immediately whistled down. That seems to be a bigger part of JG's skill-set than Dormady's. So, to basically eliminate that part of the game, and essentially force both to be primarily pocket passers benefits QD, IMO. Sure, Dormady got outside of the pocket and avoided the rush and made some great throws on the run in the process, but I'm talking about designed QB runs. So, yes, both guys were tested by the same standard, but that standard limited one player more than the other. Similarly, if two basketball players, one a 6-8 PF, the other a 6-0 SG, are playing 1 on 1, and are told that they can't shoot the ball from outside of the paint, who does that benefit? Same standard, but one player's skills (outside shooting) are negated.

Bottom line, QD outplayed Guarantano, and looked effortless doing it. I just wonder how much more effectively JG could have moved the offense if he were allowed to use more of the designed running plays from the playbook. It may have made no difference, or it may have made a ton of difference. We won't really know until the real games start. If Jones wants to limit the number of designed QB runs, then Dormady is his man this year IMO. He looked much more ready to lead this offense as a pocket passer, which, with his edge in experience is to be expected. JG is still learning and will likely be a fine QB in his own time.

I'm not looking to make this a snarky back and forth encounter, and I apologize if my original wording was not clear. I've made my opinion known, and so have you, and hopefully I've made my point more clear.

Much less likely to let any QB run, in a scrimmage, with rain a possibility much less an inevitability.

Not saying QD isn't the better QB but it's easy to look good (both QD and JG) when you know you won't get smacked in the moth by a DE/DT. He was impressive in what we saw but I would like to see what happens when the lights come on and he has to avoid a rush. His limited game time opportunities have been very mediocre. I just think JG has an IT factor and will be a better version of Dobbs (escaping the pocket, read option running etc)

Reactions: 1 person
Not saying QD isn't the better QB but it's easy to look good (both QD and JG) when you know you won't get smacked in the moth by a DE/DT. He was impressive in what we saw but I would like to see what happens when the lights come on and he has to avoid a rush. His limited game time opportunities have been very mediocre. I just think JG has an IT factor and will be a better version of Dobbs (escaping the pocket, read option running etc)

I think its worth noting his limited game action came when he was in mop up duty. He never got to play with the first team offense, and 90% of the time when he came in it was just to run clock and end the game.

It's true he's gotten limited opportunities, which is ashamed, because he should've racked up a ton more playing time than he has.....2015 vs North Texas, 2016 vs App State and Ohio at least.

But I wouldn't call his play "very mediocre" on balance. He's made a handful of throws that were outstanding no matter who he was competing against.....the two throws vs West Carolina as a freshman and a laser on a 20 skinny post vs Tenn Tech last year.

Still has a lot to prove to be sure, I certainly agree with that, but I think he's shown more than you apparently do. And he's definitely shown more regarding his throwing abilities than JG has shown regarding an "IT factor" at this point imo.

Yea he was pretty underwhelming in game action against scrubs. He threw one good pass everyone clings to and several bad ones they forget.

They both looked great any. JG was 4/5 for 10 yards a completion himself.

We wont get a starter until the fall. Both guys look good.

That doesn't hold much water since JG knew he wasn't going to get smacked in the mouth too. It also doesn't hold much water compared to past QB's in spring games. It was a very good spring game performance. I'm not sure why people feel the need to qualify or diminish it.

As for "mediocre"... In limited mop up time, Dormady has completed over 62% with a TD and has a higher ypa than Dobbs did for his career Not much to measure by... but that isn't really "mediocre".

All that said, their "body of work" is much larger than the O&W game. We see barely a fraction of it. If Dormady has played this way in the closed portions of practice then JG is trailing significantly. But that seems unlikely... we just have no way of knowing how extraordinary his O&W game was for him.

Reactions: 4 people
Not disputing that Dormady looks like he knows what he's doing, but the only knock I have on Guarantano are things that one might expect from a young QB, and things that are fixable with more coaching and more repetitions.

We know he also has an arm, we know he can take off and run, and the faults I saw last Saturday were things like staring down first receiver and forcing it into tight coverage. Fixable.

But, let best man win the first start ... and let the next man stay ready.

I'm officially eating crow. At first, I didn't think Dormady could succeed in this type of offense but I think he has enough mobility to escape from pressure and the arm to get the ball to our WRs. I know it's just a spring game but you can tell he looks comfortable throwing the ball. JG is talented as well but Dormady definitely looks like the better QB and has been in the system longer. I would not be surprised if Jones names him the starter soon.

The only negative part about this is if JG will stick it out or decides to transfer? I'm not sure if he's willing to ride the bench behind Dormady? Either way, I just want the best players on the field to win us games. Go Vols!

A bit premature. DB's were playing super soft. No chance the QB would get hit. Pretty easy to sit in the pocket and make short throws. Out patterns, hitches, etc. Yeah, there were a couple of downfield throws, but under the circumstances, it was very basic/vanilla. Let's see how things play out when the bullets start flying and the opponents can knock the piss out of the QB. Geez.

A bit premature. DB's were playing super soft. No chance the QB would get hit. Pretty easy to sit in the pocket and make short throws. Out patterns, hitches, etc. Yeah, there were a couple of downfield throws, but under the circumstances, it was very basic/vanilla. Let's see how things play out when the bullets start flying and the opponents can knock the piss out of the QB. Geez.

You'd have a totally different tone if Guarantano had the better day.

Reactions: 3 people
You'd have a totally different tone if Guarantano had the better day.

Nah. I've seen enough spring games in my 58 years to know it's a glorified scrimmage at best. Silly to jump to conclusions at this point in the year. Lets see how things play out when the real games begin. Frankly, I have no favorite between the two. Doesn't really matter who starts. I expect injuries to pile up once again. Hell, we'll probably be down to McBride by the Florida game.

Nah. I've seen enough spring games in my 58 years to know it's a glorified scrimmage at best. Silly to jump to conclusions at this point in the year. Lets see how things play out when the real games begin. Frankly, I have no favorite between the two. Doesn't really matter who starts. I expect injuries to pile up once again. Hell, we'll probably be down to McBride by the Florida game.

Still an even competition imo...just know this board all too well. If JG had been great, then we'd have 50 threads saying the competition is over. Just going to disagree with you on the injuries.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back