Does USC fall below the VOLS?

It’s close. The committee has a history of only dropping teams that lose in the conference championship about 1-3 spaces. Almost like they recognize that team was playing an extra game that everyone else didn’t, so they don’t want to punish them as much as one would during a regular season loss.

(There’s like maybe one instance of a team dropping 4-5 spaces after the conference championship, but looking back on it, it was also heavily based on their schedule, specifically that their OOC schedule was all Group of 5 teams and an FCS team…)

Actually, if you look at the past history, for the most part the teams that are higher ranked WIN. Most of the shifts are to remove the team from the top 4 and move 5 or 6 up into the top 4.

2017 is the closest to what we "could" happen today. Auburn was ranked 2 (with 2 losses) - all they had to do was beat UGA and they would have been in the playoffs with TWO losses. They lost and dropped 5 from 2 to 7. Wisconsin was at 4 - all they had to do was beat OSU. They lost by 6 and dropped from 4 to 6. That was their only loss. This allowed number 5 and 6 (UGA and Bama) to rise to 3 and 4. So they took Bama who did not play in the SEC championship game over Wisconsin who did and lost - they both had the same record. The Big 10 was left out that year.

2014 is another one. TCU was 3 and won the game over Iowa State 55-3, but they dropped to 6, when OSU beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big 10 Championship game. Obviously that win over the #13 team was more impressive. Baylor also jumped TCU in the last poll. Baylor beat TCU 61-58 but was at number 6 below TCU going into the last week. In the final poll, when TCU dropped out of the top 4, they were flipped to match who won the head to head game.

To say the committee always does something is not really true.

Reactions: firestorm
Utah will move higher than that. They have a conference championship now.
If Clemson wins I’m not sure they jump them and they can’t jump us or Bama given records and the fact they lost to UF while we beat UF. I think Utah goes to around 8, assuming Clemson wins.
UGA
UM
TCU
OSU
Bama
UT
Clemson
Utah

They also have 3 loses. I think they get to maybe 8. If they jump penn st 7. They will not jump us as they have one more loss plus we beat Florida and they lost to Florida. So 7th would be a high as they could move I think. GBO
That thought sounds familiar. We beat someone that you lost to. So you should be ranked below us. Makes perfect sense, but………..

now where have I heard that before???

I’d have only one difference.

Until tomorrow, I would have P-ST ahead of Clemson. Only because P-ST lost to 2&4. Clemson lost twice to 8-4 teams once by 21 points.

If Clemson wins tomorrow I would have them 8th as well. USC would stay even if Clemson wins……cause both USC losses came vs Utah.

I’d like to have Utah up there but hard to drop a team that far by losing in their championship.

After the dust settles be a good time to see where everyone belongs.

Penn State's best win is week 1 by 4 against Purdue or at home to Maryland. I'd have Washington over PSU as well...

Reactions: feathersax
Penn State's best win is week 1 by 4 against Purdue or at home to Maryland. I'd have Washington over PSU as well...

I couldn’t do Washington over P-ST myself because P-ST lost vs the 2nd and 4th (will be) and Washington got beat by a 3-9 team.

Washington SOS is 71 - Stats’s is 27

Washington does have wins vs 15&16 Oregon ST & Oregon

Very subjective and I have to admit Washington has better wins; however for me the distance in SOS is too much, also not close in SOR.

We can see why the rankings aren’t cut and dry……..done by people.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
I would say LSU beating Georgia would actually help UT more jump over bammer. We would have a blow out win over the SEC champs in their house!
No because LSU beating UGA helps Bama because it makes one of their loses look better. Yes we played LSU but we also Played UGA they are our best loss...LSU beating them makes our loss to UGA look worse. Plus it makes the whole bowl situation insaner than it already is. We could end up in the cotton with Bama and LSU in orange and sugar bowls or even worse get pushed out of a NY6 altogether.

Reactions: opvolfan
Yeah if the committee does their job , they see that. If Georgia hammers LSU, committee should look at that and say Tennessee hammered LSU and LSU beat Alabama.

I don't think the committee gets down into this kind of rabbit hole. I mean there are a million scenarios where team A beat B, B beat C, C beat A, D beat .... and so forth. IMO you can't cherry pick the "greater than" theory scenarios in a sport with more connections than 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. In the end, head to head should trump transitive theory and THAT is why we should get in before Bama. Period.

At the end of the day, give the people what that want to see;

Final seatings:
Michigan
Georgia
Ohio State
Tennessee

No one want to see any smelly elephants whose DB's couldn't cover my grandmothers.
That’s a good thought but it’s not going to happen.

What if LSU does upset Ga? Michigan loses their game an so far TCU and USCw has lost. Do we get a nod at that #4 spot?

What if LSU does upset Ga? Michigan loses their game an so far TCU and USCw has lost. Do we get a nod at that #4 spot?

YES!!!!!!!!!

Actually, doesn't matter about UGA. They get a spot either way.

Just need the blue & maze to choke as they have been doing for 100+ years...

Predictions of Saban retiring are stupid
I think a good argument could be made that he could retire sooner rather than later. His ego might not be able to handle being 2nd or 3rd fiddle in the SEC very well. He'll either overcome it or retire. OTOH, his whole life is football--nothing else. Don't know if he can live without it. What else would he do if he can't intimidate and belittle people?

Lol no. The only thing that mattered was the usc loss and it pushed OSU back in. It will be UGA, Michigan, OSU, and TCU….in no particular order.

VN Store

Back