Does USC fall below the VOLS?

#4 losing a second game to the same the team ranked #11 by 23 points should definitely warrant a drop of 4 spots minimum,

It’s close. The committee has a history of only dropping teams that lose in the conference championship about 1-3 spaces. Almost like they recognize that team was playing an extra game that everyone else didn’t, so they don’t want to punish them as much as one would during a regular season loss.

(There’s like maybe one instance of a team dropping 4-5 spaces after the conference championship, but looking back on it, it was also heavily based on their schedule, specifically that their OOC schedule was all Group of 5 teams and an FCS team…)

Just can't see it. To my mind, the only way bama doesn't make the sugar is if they are in the playoffs. A TCU loss might drop them out of the top 4 and let bama slip in but I'm not sure that would happen if the game is close. That's the only scenario I can see that will put UT in the sugar. All hell may break loose today and UGA, UM and TCU all lose but would anyone other than TCU losing in a championship game be enough to knock them out of the playoffs? I kinda doubt it. I think UGA, UM are secure even if they lose. OSU is in now that USC lost. That means it comes down TCU and a 2 loss team. I think the odds on favorite would have to be bama and Young. Can't see UT and Milton at all. I think they'd take USC and Williams over us.

Or if LSU upsets UGA, because then LSU *has* to go to the Sugar Bowl as a non-playoff bound SEC Champion.

It’s close. The committee has a history of only dropping teams that lose in the conference championship about 1-3 spaces. Almost like they recognize that team was playing an extra game that everyone else didn’t, so they don’t want to punish them as much as one would during a regular season loss.

(There’s like maybe one instance of a team dropping 4-5 spaces after the conference championship, but looking back on it, it was also heavily based on their schedule, specifically that their OOC schedule was all Group of 5 teams and an FCS team…)

I see your point but they got destroyed in that game, they need to drop at least behind us.

Of course knowing our luck they jump Utah ahead of us

It went very south for Southern California starting in the 2nd Quarter.
Utah a team that plays with a chip on its should made a great statement with that incredible win in fabulous Las Vegas.

918B1FCA-45FB-4EB7-B15E-50D16BD33261.jpegDB7B319B-2376-4CFA-ADC3-A0BBDF078FD2.jpegA332A87D-5A47-4FF0-AA67-F74577776385.jpeg2C21255C-4CC7-400C-9C6E-EE9005989180.jpegBDDBAFB6-5502-4CE1-8566-B6EC2D030F81.jpegEF226F48-6C74-47F1-96EB-F2B1F476B7D5.jpegEEDFE9F9-9790-480E-A7C0-183835FE0D01.jpeg

Reactions: SAPPER 5
At the end of the day, give the people what that want to see;

Final seatings:
Michigan
Georgia
Ohio State
Tennessee

No one want to see any smelly elephants whose DB's couldn't cover my grandmothers.

Reactions: firestorm
I see your point but they got destroyed in that game, they need to drop at least behind us.

Of course knowing our luck they jump Utah ahead of us

I understand that, and I see your point. I’m just pointing out that the committee drops following conference championship losses generally haven’t been as heavy/larger than that 1-3 spot range, even when the losing team was blown out or run out of the building from the get go. It could happen, but when it has (that one time) it’s been reflective of other factors and not the score during championship week.

I can’t see Utah jumping that high. The 3rd loss to a 6-6 team is really an anchor that’s currently weighing down the team’s ranking potential (at least until after the Bowl games)

Or if LSU upsets UGA, because then LSU *has* to go to the Sugar Bowl as a non-playoff bound SEC Champion.
Good catch. Although, in my defense, I would argue that my mind would not allow me to even entertain the possibility that LSU could beat UGA. What an absolutely GLORIOUS day it would be if LSU managed to pull that one off though!

Good catch. Although, in my defense, I would argue that my mind would not allow me to even entertain the possibility that LSU could beat UGA. What an absolutely GLORIOUS day it would be if LSU managed to pull that one off though!

Given the current situation, that’d pretty much delegate UT to the Citrus Bowl at that point, though

We just need Michigan to lose ..They lose Ohio state is out ...With that leaves Tennessee and Bama for last spot ..UM gets spot because head to head with Ohio St. Tennessee gets in because of Head to Head with bama..Both UM and Tennessee missing best player . But Tennessee has more play makers than Michigan..

Yeah if the committee does their job , they see that. If Georgia hammers LSU, committee should look at that and say Tennessee hammered LSU and LSU beat Alabama.
Unfortunately, the Committee won’t do that. They have been on a Zoom call since the end of the USC-Utah game figuring out how to get Alabama in the playoffs. They give two sh*ts about UT and where we SHOULD be. It’s just how it is. GBO.

Reactions: CBR07
Right now, I hope the SEC gets two teams in, just to rub it in the face of the B10. What a crock, they play Mich, Penn State, and OSU and the rest of the league sucks....wow!
If the SEC getting two teams in means bama gets in, then F the SEC.

USC falls to 10th, imo, pending the Clemson game. Top 10 will be:

Top 4:
UGA, Michigan, TCU, OSU (maybe not in this order).

5-10:
Bama
UT
Penn State
Clemson
Utah
USC

Any chance the committee decides to move Tennessee over Bama Sunday? I know it’s extremely unlikely. They know it was the most controversial ranking on the list. They could argue that Florida’s win over utah makes Tennessee slightly more impressive than last week. (A man can dream).

AND SC's win over Clemson takes some of the sting out of that loss since they are now ranked. Our losses are to 1 and 19 on the road with victories over 5 at home and 14 on the road. What's Bama got to be ranked ahead of us.

Reactions: volmainia2

I agree that LSU defeating Georgia is a long shot aka a pipe dream because while the LSU Tigers have a talented offensive arsenal including Daniels playing great, except they don’t have a great defense like Utah that can create turnovers and stop a team from scoring points which they did vs a great Southern California team.

It’s a moral victory if LSU keeps the game close, and has a realistic chance of defeating Georgia in the 4th quarter.

We just need Michigan to lose ..They lose Ohio state is out ...With that leaves Tennessee and Bama for last spot ..UM gets spot because head to head with Ohio St. Tennessee gets in because of Head to Head with bama..Both UM and Tennessee missing best player . But Tennessee has more play makers than Michigan..

OSU is in no matter what now. They will be 3 or 4 based on what happens in TCU game.

USC’s defense last night looked like the Vols against SC. We will be ranked above USC as we should be. ESPN will continue to push for Williams to win the Heisman. If Hooker was healthy, I could see us beating any team ahead of us but if ands or buts…….If healthy, Hooker would have had a hard time winning the Heisman just because of ESPN and the rest of the talking heads. Go Vols.

USC’s defense last night looked like the Vols against SC. We will be ranked above USC as we should be. ESPN will continue to push for Williams to win the Heisman. If Hooker was healthy, I could see us beating any team ahead of us but if ands or buts…….If healthy, Hooker would have had a hard time winning the Heisman just because of ESPN and the rest of the talking heads. Go Vols.

I’m still damn happy Hooker got talked about as a Heisman candidate in his incredible season.

Reactions: tdd

VN Store

Back