Does Pruitt’s grammar matter at all to you?

Derek Dooley was probably the most articulate man that's ever held the job, and we know how that turned out.
He sure knew the words, but you had no idea what he was talking about I'll never forget something about looking at the Germans over the hill or something...

I have actually. I was born and raised in the south, but was taught proper English, not some “traditional Southern dialect.” That must be your definition of poor English. If you enjoy sounding ignorant, have at it.

So was I! And, I went thru a school system that I'm surprised I'm literate at all. However, I was able to achieve a BS from MTSU and travel internationally working for the government traveling the Middle East and Indonesia. And, I'm able to speak and understand their language.
Dialect is indigenous to every region of every country on earth...I'm pretty sure.
So, tell me, how far have out of your family basement have you been? Or, even easier, how many US states have you spent more than 24 hrs in where you have actually interacted with the people????

The people that you cited probably speak more than one language, so I can excuse an accent. As far as traditional Southern dialect ...please!
There is a difference between an accent and the poor use of English. Oh well, some people like it when the bar is lowered as it makes it easier for them to shine.

Oh please tell us wise one, how many states have you interacted and done business with?? If you like looking down on people for the way they speak...that's your problem. And, it will catch up with you some day!

My feeling is that it matters more at 0-2 than 2-0.
I will say, as someone with family members who were teachers, that it does bother me.
To claim to be an institution of higher learning, you’d think we could get him an English tutor.
But being honest, if he upsets Florida and gets us to a bowl game, I won’t care how he “done” it.

He does speak Alabamian! LOL 😂

If we had a black coach who spoke ebonics, or a south Louisiana coach who spoke Cajun English, most of us would be complaining.

Grammar isn't about etiquette, it's about logic. People can successfully communicate using bad grammar--whether it's ebonics or hillbilly--as long as they aren't trying to communicate something precise or technical.

But if someone on a court witness stand says, "...so I be tellin' this guy..." you really can't be sure if the witness told this guy once in the past, or if he is repeatedly telling this guy currently. And if that person's legal testimony is going to impact someone's future, grammar becomes important.

So you could say that CJP's 'bama-billy grammar simply provides another layer to non-revealing coach speak. But if Pruitt ever has to make an official public statement of legal importance... something that is going to impact someone's future or the athletic dept's finances... you can bet he'll be reading it, and will not have written it.

Good grammar may not be necessary to assemble and coach a good football team, but logic and precise communication are.

And personally, I'd prefer my team be represented by coaches like a Barnes who is going to attract and inspire young men to greatness beyond their sport. Time will tell if CJP is accomplishing that. I don't think we've seen that side of him yet.

I have traveled the world and speak 5 languages, English-Canadian-British-Australian-South African. I don't care what others do grammar wise except when I am forced to watch them on TV regularly.

I don’t think it matters. It’s not as though the football team has some association with an institution of higher learning that has a vested interest in being nationally (or internationally, for that matter) perceived as academically serious.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
So was I! And, I went thru a school system that I'm surprised I'm literate at all. However, I was able to achieve a BS from MTSU and travel internationally working for the government traveling the Middle East and Indonesia. And, I'm able to speak and understand their language.
Dialect is indigenous to every region of every country on earth...I'm pretty sure.
So, tell me, how far have out of your family basement have you been? Or, even easier, how many US states have you spent more than 24 hrs in where you have actually interacted with the people????

Well, I’ve left home in 1994 for college, then moved to San Diego in 2001 for law school and have lived in Southern California since. I have visited 42 states, including Hawaii and Alaska. I guess I’ve gotten a little bit removed from their basement.

Lol really making a post about grammar? Y'all some pink asses lol. The man makes more than anyone in here and has worse grammar so this is what y'all hate on lol jokes on y'all he getting paid

Reactions: Backwards K
Poor grammar only bothers me because we ain't winning. If'n we wuz a'winning, we'd all love his accent.

I don’t think it matters. It’s not as though the football team has some association with an institution of higher learning that has a vested interest in being nationally (or internationally, for that matter) perceived as academically serious.

It only matters when you have a losing record.

VN Store

Back