Dobbs is not the answer

It is an issue, yes. However, Dobbs has just about thrown INTs several times. A better defense would have made the play.

Jameis Winston threw 4 pics against UF last night. And he is the reigning Heisman winner. Little early to throw a soph QB to the curb. He is going to be our starting QB next season.

Reactions: 2 people
He may not be. I will say this though. He has some great vision. He made holes where there were none yesterday and without his feet we likely lose that game..

Reactions: 1 person
Jameis Winston threw 4 pics against UF last night. And he is the reigning Heisman winner. Little early to throw a soph QB to the curb. He is going to be our starting QB next season.

Please don't ever use Winston as a comparison to Dobbs, or any other Vol ever again.

He may not be. I will say this though. He has some great vision. He made holes where there were none yesterday and without his feet we likely lose that game..

I told my son last night that if Dobbs could get some consistent accuracy on his throws, he would be unstoppable.

Exactly. Worley looked like one of the best SEC QB's this year, in the UGA game, but it all started going downhill after that. Because the OL was just blowing chunks.

No QB is going to excel with that sort of continuous pressure. Guys coming free up the middle and off the edge.....AT THE SAME TIME!

I also noticed that Bajakian rarely calls for any slants or crossing routes over the middle. He seems too scared and instead tries to try to force the ball to the edges time after time.

Guys, what is worrying me is that we could be turning off interests from our future corp of receivers that may have been watching us the past few games. People talking about how great a difference Dobbs has made with his running skills but mot much mentioned about his passing skills. Like you I see all the reasons that cause him to be errant with his passes at times. But, if I am a receiver I would rather have a great passer that can make some yards running at times than a great runner that can make some passes complete at times. I think Dobbs has been really good at times but it has been mostly with the run. Let's not lose our recruiting momentum with great wide receivers looking elsewhere.

:rock:Why,why,why cant folks bash the OL coach and weight coach like they bash an innocent Josh Dobb's. As for Dobb's he's always been my choice but we got a QB coming in that the rest of you can plead his case next season. I just sit back and depend on CBJ for his decision. I thought 5-7 this year but more than happy with 6-6. Next year I look for 7 or more wins. CBJ is not building fires but he's slowly doing this right. He's just got to make those 7 wins next year.:hi::clapping:

Because the oline coach wasn't out there throwing the ball to Vandy players like he was Jay Cutler.

His throws have been horrible. He doesn't process the defense fast enough either.

Watch for 1 of the early enrolling freshman, to make a big push for PT next year.

Could not disagree more. He is the motor that can make this offense work. Just have to beef up the o line/ juco recruit to give him the opportunity to make plays with his arms. if your football iq is so low that you can't see that this is an o line problem, then you have no business evaluating the team.

Everybody knows Dobbs has some accuracy and consistency issues. It was harped on in preseason. It's not breaking news.

The fact that someone could be watching Tennessee today, with all its holes and deficiencies, and think to themselves: "yeah, that Dobbs, he's not the answer" is beyond comprehension.

There's plenty to complain about without coming to the genius conclusion that Dobbs isn't Peyton Manning quite yet.

Dobbs has had his ups and downs throwing the football, as many young quarterbacks do, but his elusiveness and athleticism have helped this team immensely and, to this point, he's the best option Tennessee has.

Well said. He's damn near literally the only reason we're headed to a bowl game.

Could not disagree more. He is the motor that can make this offense work. Just have to beef up the o line/ juco recruit to give him the opportunity to make plays with his arms. if your football iq is so low that you can't see that this is an o line problem, then you have no business evaluating the team.

Yeah, that accuracy problem when he doesn't have pressure, is because of the Oline. The missing wide open receivers and locking onto 1 WR is an Oline problem. The inability to read defenses quickly......yep you guessed it.....Oline problem.

Ohhhhhh and those darn practice reps where he can't hit the broad side of a barn......you guessed it again. Oline.

I just hope to have a football IQ and talent evaluation as great as yours. In fact, please go offer your services to Butch Jones because he put Dobbs as 3rd string.

Reactions: 3 people
In defense of Dobbs.....he'd look a lot better behind an average O line. I'd say his decision making will be better next year and the Oline surely can't be any worse

I think the improvement to the OL next year will be minimal - I hope I am wrong. Will a slightly better OL help Josh?

One thing Josh can learn, is to throw the ball away when he can't find a good matchup or is about to get sacked. He hasn't shown that he is willing to do that yet. He will figure this out!

Yeah, that accuracy problem when he doesn't have pressure, is because of the Oline. The missing wide open receivers and locking onto 1 WR is an Oline problem. The inability to read defenses quickly......yep you guessed it.....Oline problem.

Ohhhhhh and those darn practice reps where he can't hit the broad side of a barn......you guessed it again. Oline.

I just hope to have a football IQ and talent evaluation as great as yours. In fact, please go offer your services to Butch Jones because he put Dobbs as 3rd string.

Were you discussing his "accuracy issues" after the Bama, SCar and Kentucky games as well? I'm actually guessing yes.

Were you discussing his "accuracy issues" after the Bama, SCar and Kentucky games as well? I'm actually guessing yes.

Bama didn't have game film. That one is simple.

South Carolina has a horrible defense. KY is KY.

Missouri dared us to throw all game and we couldn't. Vandy did the same thing. When a defensive coordinator keys on a deficiency, they will exploit the heck out of it.

Trust me, I truly hope Dobbs proves me wrong. Id love nothing more than him to blow it up next year. But just like the lack of ability on the Oline, I see a lack of ability at QB too.

Reactions: 2 people
With additional bowl game practice and entering next season as the starter, his passing will improve. He needs to work on his foot work. An improved o-line will really help. Dobbs was predisposed to run first because the line play was autrocious. He will get better.

Missouri dared us to throw all game and we couldn't. Vandy did the same thing. When a defensive coordinator keys on a deficiency, they will exploit the heck out of it.

Trust me, I truly hope Dobbs proves me wrong. Id love nothing more than him to blow it up next year. But just like the lack of ability on the Oline, I see a lack of ability at QB too.

I don't trust you.

As a matter of fact , yes. I'm not the member you were replying to, but yes there were a few of us that were discussing the accuracy issue. I'm a Dobbs fan, but there is no denying that he has a problem with accuracy and its not getting better, not getting worse, but not getting better. It plagued him last year during the season, through the spring and preseason. He has been dynamic and has won us games. But there is no way that you or anyone else, that actually watches the game, can disagree that he needs major work on his accuracy. Its a glaring problem and its easy to gloss over because of the way he has played. Most here just overlook it because it hasn't really cost us yet.

Don't take it personally, its not an attack on Dobbs. But even the most ardent Dobbs supporters have to agree that being able to throw a pass accurately to an open receiver or into a tight spot is a pretty important aspect of being a QB.

His throws have been horrible. He doesn't process the defense fast enough either.

Watch for 1 of the early enrolling freshman, to make a big push for PT next year.

Now since he took over in the Alabama game,and after the SC and Kentucky game he was the next GOAT and Hiesman front runner...

How many of our starting receivers were missing for the Mizzou and Vandy games?

North? Out. Malone? Out. Smith? Out. Hurd? Out in the 1st. Croom? Out for the vast majority.

We were down to Pig and VP as the only receivers that have seen starting time this year. And both Vandy and Mizzou smothered them.

I won't lose sleep over it.

Nor should you. Btw, no film on Dobbs explains his play vs Bama? Seriously? They saw him up close and personal for an entire half last year and Jones announced Dobbs would play 2 days before the game. No film? Surely you can do better than that.

Last edited:
How many of our starting receivers were missing for the Mizzou and Vandy games?

North? Out. Malone? Out. Smith? Out. Hurd? Out in the 1st. Croom? Out for the vast majority.

We were down to Pig and VP as the only receivers that have seen starting time this year. And both Vandy and Mizzou smothered them.
Your right and that would make a huge difference if we were talking about drops. It really does not matter who is playing if they do not have an opportunity to actually catch the ball.

Your right and that would make a huge difference if we were talking about drops. It really does not matter who is playing if they do not have an opportunity to actually catch the ball.

It matters if they don't run the correct routes and can't get any separation. Incompletions are not always on the QB just like they're not always on the WR. Vic Wharton, who has played virtually no meaningful offensive snaps this year was our 3rd starting WR last night for crying out loud. I know you don't like Dobbs' game/abilities, but for the love of Pete, I think he's earned some benefit of the doubt after how he's performed this year given the circumstances.

VN Store

Back