Dobbs is not the answer

Thanks MaxamusXIII:rock:

Ive been a long time listener on the volnation show. Im some what addicted to reading all of your guys/gals posts.

GO VOLS!!!:good!:

Last edited:
It is an issue, yes. However, Dobbs has just about thrown INTs several times. A better defense would have made the play.

you acted like you have not watch a single game this year. you put a freshmen qb behind this beat up line then his playing time is gonna be very short.

smh..

Reactions: 1 person
It's not an arm strength issue....he has plenty. It's an accuracy issue, and a vision issue.

Once they realized that Dobbs has doppler vision, the team doctors hired astrophysicists to fine tune his radar for the other 21 moving objects during a play. Progress was made early on, but they forgot to include the added objects known as game officials. Presently, a new doppler algorithm is being developed for Josh's microchip, and it is expected to ready for the bowl game. Accuracy will not be an issue.

Reactions: 2 people
He had a bad game. We still won. Statistically, he was one of the few who showed up to play against Mizzou, one of the toughest defenses we played all year.

Maybe he has a Vandy curse. Peyton sure did and had some horrid games against some terrible Dores teams.

QBs have bad days. It happens. We won. Get over it.

Everybody knows Dobbs has some accuracy and consistency issues. It was harped on in preseason. It's not breaking news.

The fact that someone could be watching Tennessee today, with all its holes and deficiencies, and think to themselves: "yeah, that Dobbs, he's not the answer" is beyond comprehension.

There's plenty to complain about without coming to the genius conclusion that Dobbs isn't Peyton Manning quite yet.

Dobbs has had his ups and downs throwing the football, as many young quarterbacks do, but his elusiveness and athleticism have helped this team immensely and, to this point, he's the best option Tennessee has.

Reactions: 5 people
dobbs had a bad game throwing, but i'm also in the "poor play calling" camp. Or, maybe i should say "atrocious play calling". Butch has a conservative streak that makes fulmer look like a riverboat gambler. Dobbs has shown he can be deadly on the quick hitters, but we panic when he throws an int and go exclusively to passes behind the line and straight ahead runs.

Meanwhile, jameis throws 4 ints and fsu continues to play their game; bo wallace has a terribly inaccurate game and hugh frieze continues to attack with him.
You don't become an elite team playing scared.

preach!

The big problem tonight was Hurd not being able to play. He is such a huge part of our offensive game. He was really missed tonight.

Reactions: 3 people
His throws have been horrible. He doesn't process the defense fast enough either.

Watch for 1 of the early enrolling freshman, to make a big push for PT next year.

I need to see Dobbs when he has a decent O-line in front of him before I'll make any decision about his ability to win big games at UT.

Dobbs was bad today....BUT.....Bajakian was worse than horrible.

What's the deal with their wr packages? Everytime they got in the red zone except one, Croom was not to be found and the little white guy was in. Who the heck is that guy and where the hell was Croom?

Dobbs had a bad game throwing, but I'm also in the "poor play calling" camp. Or, maybe I should say "atrocious play calling". Butch has a conservative streak that makes Fulmer look like a riverboat gambler. Dobbs has shown he can be deadly on the quick hitters, but we panic when he throws an int and go exclusively to passes behind the line and straight ahead runs.

Meanwhile, Jameis throws 4 ints and FSU continues to play their game; Bo Wallace has a terribly inaccurate game and Hugh Frieze continues to attack with him.
You don't become an elite team playing scared.

Every one expects our QB to be a dropback passer like Peyton. It's not our style of play. Dobbs plays bad tonight and all of a sudden he apparently sucks again.

I wonder if some of you were calling for Tee's head after 3 games in 1998 (talking about the 5-14 for 50 yds performance against a terrible Auburn team). Just think, if only Phil had pulled Tee for Burney Veazy or Joey Matthews.

His throws have been horrible. He doesn't process the defense fast enough either.

Watch for 1 of the early enrolling freshman, to make a big push for PT next year.

I did not read this thread but you are so stupid is pitiful. Dobbs won the game by himself tonight. We have no big time wrs. We have no oline.

Criticism of the qb who led us to three victories when we had to have them is asinine. Sure he has things he can work on, but I would rather have him out there than any of you broke down hasbeens. Kid gives his all for UT and all you people do is waste oxygen.

Every one expects our QB to be a dropback passer like Peyton. It's not our style of play. Dobbs plays bad tonight and all of a sudden he apparently sucks again.

I wonder if some of you were calling for Tee's head after 3 games in 1998 (talking about the 5-14 for 50 yds performance against a terrible Auburn team). Just think, if only Phil had pulled Tee for Burney Veazy or Joey Matthews.

I don't think anyone called for Dobbs to be pulled....I know I didn't. We lose without him tonight. We don't get to 6-6 without him....no bowl. That's not the point at all.

DTO is right....Dobbs continues to miss open reads. He sees about half of the field....it was a problem last year too.

He has added an athletic dimension that has helped, but is limited when its necessary to pass. Teams are starting to key on that....and the o-line doesn't help.

He very well may win the job next season, but will need to improve or he'll see a lot of pressure from the incoming frashmen.

Roflmao at these people. The qbs we are bringing in are projects. Dobbs is going to be a great one when he gets a healthy compliment of supporting players.

The point is that some are already calling for a FR to beat him out. That's just dumb, at this point. Right now, this is Dobbs' team.

People with short memories also seem to forget how bad Andy Kelly was as a sophomore. Hell, Kelly still finished his career with more INTs than TD passes. There's no point in even mentioning Erik Ainge's sophomore year. He was never going to see the field again according to more than a few of our fans.

Dobbs had a bad game throwing with some poor decisions, after 3 games of completing 60-65% and not turning the ball over through the air (minus Malone's drop).

I don't think anyone called for Dobbs to be pulled....I know I didn't. We lose without him tonight. We don't get to 6-6 without him....no bowl. That's not the point at all.

But what is the point?... The kid has been thrown to the wolves two straight years and he has grown from last year and will continue to do so. He has something special, including everyone associated with this team. You know you can feel it(I dont believe its alcohol).

I truly only see that we are on top of the hill from a hard long climb(I mean this more for the players that have actually climbed)

Yep, but the concern is that Dobbs wild throws and inaccuracy have been persistent. Dobbs was plagued by inaccuracy last year, throughout summer camp and practices. His decent accuracy in a couple games this year was the exception, not the norm.

There is a reason Dobbs was demoted to #3 behind Peterman after the preseason - and it's NOT because of some overwhelming priority to save his talent for next year by RS. That popular myth is simply false. Dobbs inaccuracy was severe in preseason, while Peterman and Worley were much more accurate. Dobbs lost the #2 due to poor throwing. It cannot be ignored.

Thank you mr peterman!

This thread is why we can't have nice things. Our offense is dealing with serious injuries, fielding an offensive line that is woefully unprepared for the SEC, and Hurd goes out early with an injury. The play-calling was terribly conservative on offense. Vandy showed up today. Yet we still won. Dobbs had a big hand in that with his mobility. He will never be a deep threat QB, and our offense isn't designed for that anyway. But it is difficult to be accurate and find your checkdowns when a DL is in your face play after play.

Who has a drop back passer in college now?

That's part of the deal here. Some people wish for something that isn't going to happen. We aren't going back to the I formation unless Butch is fired or leaves in the next 3 years (and Lord that would probably be the death knell of our traditional power of a football program).

We don't run that style of offense any longer. People need to get over it. We likely won't have a pure passing QB for a long time.

This thread is why we can't have nice things. Our offense is dealing with serious injuries, fielding an offensive line that is woefully unprepared for the SEC, and Hurd goes out early with an injury. The play-calling was terribly conservative on offense. Vandy showed up today. Yet we still won. Dobbs had a big hand in that with his mobility. He will never be a deep threat QB, and our offense isn't designed for that anyway. But it is difficult to be accurate and find your checkdowns when a DL is in your face play after play.

Our offemsive line got a pocket qb killed this year and these idiots want a pocket qb !!!!!!! In addition, our wrs at present are mediocre and below sec par. In spite of that Dobbs pulled our chestnuts out of the fire.

But what is the point?... The kid has been thrown to the wolves two straight years and he has grown from last year and will continue to do so. He has something special, including everyone associated with this team. You know you can feel it(I dont believe its alcohol).

I truly only see that we are on top of the hill from a hard long climb(I mean this more for the players that have actually climbed)

I think DTO's point is that we are likely at Dobb's ceiling. I don't know that to be the case, but I believe there to be an issue with pre-snap reads, and finding open receivers. He looks at one, maybe two receivers. I counted about 9 times tonight, when he had time and open receivers he's just not seeing. I know the o-line is bad, and the offense is depleted. That makes it that much more important that the QB sees the entire field. Many times he never looks off of the first read.

I like the kid, am glad he's a Vol. His athleticism cannot be denied, or over-emphasized. We don't get to this point without him. I'm just not sure he's the answer long term. I'm as eager as anyone to find that answer, and I don't care who it is.

I think DTO's point is that we are likely at Dobb's ceiling. I don't know that to be the case, but I believe there to be an issue with pre-snap reads, and finding open receivers. He looks at one, maybe two receivers. I counted about 9 times tonight, when he had time and open receivers he's just not seeing. I know the o-line is bad, and the offense is depleted. That makes it that much more important that the QB sees the entire field. Many times he never looks off of the first read.

I like the kid, am glad he's a Vol. His athleticism cannot be denied, or over-emphasized. We don't get to this point without him. I'm just not sure he's the answer long term. I'm as eager as anyone to find that answer, and I don't care who it is.

Completely idiotic. He did not have time and no qb has had time all year. Yiu better hope he is tge answer because it won't come next year.

VN Store

Back