DC hire getting out of hand.

This is so dumb. Of course it’s speculation, but it’s based on the fact we still don’t have a coach hired three weeks after the HC was hired.

You all are acting like this is normal operating procedure.[/QUOTE]
UT is far from normal right now. The situation a coach would be coming to is also far from normal.
Only ones losing sleep about the hire are the ones wanting in done on a “normal “ timeline!

Maybe I should have posted this in the "rock bottom" thread but does any one remember if or when a position coach at another school turned down Tennessee when offered coordinators job?
Yes, UT is the first P5 school in the history of the NCAA to ever be turned down during a coordinator search.

Reactions: norrislakevol
The bottom line is that a substantial percentage of Volnation posters are throwing temper tantrums because they're upset that a defensive coordinator hasn't been announced in their preferred timeline.
Just wait for the fits they will have when the DC hired is not the one they worship.

Reactions: Vol423
My guess would be the Head Coach saying the staff would be complete on Monday a week ago. I don't care if it takes a little time to get the right person but the HC shouldn't be making public statements about filling out a staff by a certain time and then having a week go by after his official date without having a staff hired. It obviously creates hysteria as you can see.
This a million times over...never a close until they sign, and those that count things still in the sales funnel are either stupid or immature.

Reactions: 1TheCoach1
We have a rare crop of instate talent that we are WAY behind on in recruiting. We have pivotal players still in the portal. We have a brewing media circus on not being able to make this hire. Spring practice is right around the corner.

You can’t possibly believe this is a good thing?

Who said it was a good thing. On the other hand some of us don't think it should be considered devastating either. If practice really does not start for 60 days, the S&C guys will be running the show for a while, the next signing day is what 9 months away, so the most critical losses could be missing on some defensive portal guys. But RG may be in on some guys from his previous stop that can wait a few more days before making a life changing decision. He does have that connected reputation.

Some may want to sell the negative perspective that taking this long is a huge negative, while others may be thankful that we are not panicking and taking the first warm body that does not blink. So I guess that even though I was expecting a DC announcement today, I will step back from the ledge, take a deep breath and see if I can make it another day. I won't grade this hire mid-term and wait for the finals.

Reactions: Alto1 and FïreBall
The only person we've offered the job to has been was Al Washington. We never made any real offers or had real talks with Orlando or Louisville's DC, literally never even talked to Baker from LSU. That's from the VQ and 247 guys who I trust far more than anyone on this board. Being told no once isn't a big deal by any stretch. And now people think White isn't letting Heupel make his own hires? Where is this nonsense even coming from?

The cool thing is, we don't really know what's going on, which is something we're not really used to with our AD. People desperately want to know something and make up stuff to pretend they're in the know.

Battered Vol Syndrome is a thing. To my knowledge the delay in hiring a DC hasn’t cost us a game nor a recruit. But because WE need this to happen, it’s a problem.

How about we hire a coach that can work within our system, and not get fired in a year.

I just want them to get the right guy. CJH said it isnt about the timing as much as it is getting the right person for the job.
This is where I'm at. Is there any real advantage to hiring somebody today vs 2 weeks from now?

Take your time, vet and interview candidates thoroughly, get the best possible staff and then let's get it.

The only person we've offered the job to has been was Al Washington. We never made any real offers or had real talks with Orlando or Louisville's DC, literally never even talked to Baker from LSU. That's from the VQ and 247 guys who I trust far more than anyone on this board. Being told no once isn't a big deal by any stretch. And now people think White isn't letting Heupel make his own hires? Where is this nonsense even coming from?

The cool thing is, we don't really know what's going on, which is something we're not really used to with our AD. People desperately want to know something and make up stuff to pretend they're in the know.

It's coming from @loservol

Reactions: Old-n-4getful-Vol
All this is speculation we don’t know what’s going on we’re hearing rumors and reporters making good guesses but we don’t know for sure. All I know is I I wanna wind up looking like we did when we were trying to hire a coach the last time around and we Were a national disgrace.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
@CA_Vol , here's the key to peace and serenity as Josh Heupel builds his staff: stop giving credence to rumors.

I don't think there's a single confirmed fact anywhere on these boards about our head coach's efforts to fill out his staff. Meanwhile, there are TONS UPON CRAP-TONS of rumors.

How many of them do you believe? If you say anything more than 10%, I say you're too gullible.

Truth is, we don't know what's going on. Maybe the DC was the first guy hired. Maybe this has all been smoke screen. NOTE: I'm not saying the DC was the first guy hired. Because I have no way of knowing whether that's true. Just like you don't. We simply don't know. Maybe we're still looking for a few coaches. Maybe we have had them all locked in for a week now. We just don't know.

We simply do not and can not know.

With an acceptance of our collective blindness comes, paradoxically, an inner peace. It's all in the hands of fellows who are paid to get it right, to do the very best they can. Leaving us worry-free.

Go Vols!

My guess would be the Head Coach saying the staff would be complete on Monday a week ago. I don't care if it takes a little time to get the right person but the HC shouldn't be making public statements about filling out a staff by a certain time and then having a week go by after his official date without having a staff hired. It obviously creates hysteria as you can see.
Maybe I'm wrong, but what I remember seeing was that he said something like "I hope to have everyone by Monday" and we're treating it like he made a promise to us, signed a contract, and owes us damages. He can't force anyone to take the job.

Reactions: Hubbard
I have been trying really hard to remain positive about our current situation, but this DC hiring situation is getting out of hand. I’m realistic with how dire our situation is, but we have reached the point of absurdity.

I realize CJH was hired after White received several “no’s”, but am I wrong in saying that it is incredibly short sighted and negligent to have hired Heupel without him having a DC ready to go?

I think it’s well known that his offense puts a lot of pressure on a defense, so it could be reasonably anticipated that hiring a DC was not only incredibly important to Heupels success here, but that it might be difficult to do so under normal circumstances, not to mention with potential NCAA violations looming.

At this point, it is clear to me that White didn’t anticipate how difficult this hire would be under the circumstances and really put himself and the program in a difficult spot by making a head coaching hire who had a very specific deficiency without having that issue already addressed.

I don’t claim to know what the interview process is for a head coach position at a Power 5 school, but I would imagine a basic point of discussion would be potential staff positions. How did White not anticipate this ridiculous scenario playing out?
Don’t have a cow dude,

VN Store

Back