DC hire getting out of hand.

You need to keep in mind where these rumors are coming from. From what I have seen it is always some "inside" or a Sports Media guy. I have no proof but I think it is like everything else that has happened as of late. We have a bunch of "insiders" that have lost their source and a bunch of media guys throwing names at a wall and try to come up with some kind of conspiracy theory to stay relevant in the eyes of their followers. Nobody on the outside knows and those on the inside that do aren't telling.....simple.

Reactions: eaglevol and TBvol
So Heupel’s criticism was his defensive acumen when he was hired by a lot of our fans. So now he is looking for a complimentary match to his offense. He is being cautious, deliberate and secretive. Isn’t that what we want? I’m just not sure I understand the criticism of him or how White became a control freak and puppet master. We were embarrassed as Hell the last coaching hire because everything was leaked. Now it is a more professional and judicious but yet there is still criticism. Maybe some of us just like to complain.
We have a winner, Bob!

My guess would be the Head Coach saying the staff would be complete on Monday a week ago. I don't care if it takes a little time to get the right person but the HC shouldn't be making public statements about filling out a staff by a certain time and then having a week go by after his official date without having a staff hired. It obviously creates hysteria as you can see.

Perhaps he had a commitment that changed his mind. Nothing to get too flustered about. Trust the guy until there is a real reason not to. We all want the staff to be announced. Some of us understand it might take longer than we want. Not all hysteria is a reasonable response. My goodness, it is a football coaching position not a major catastrophe.

I like the Rodney Garner hire, but the new DC , whoever it is , is gonna have a line coach he didn’t choose, and possibly Steele as LB coach he didn’t choose, or what one guy just said , Heupel is puppet to DW. Usually hire coordinators first. Sounds like to me DW does have some controlling issues. Heupel needs to grow a pair, if true.

Mmkay. Let's check the tape.

You said:

"It is incredibly short sighted and negligent to have hired Heupel without him having a DC ready to go?"

Did you mean that JH should have had a DC ready to go? Meaning that JH should have reached out to whatever DC he wanted, got a verbal confirmation that he would join, then vetted his DC choice with DW prior to accepting the HC job. That is essentially hiring a DC before a HC.

Or, did you mean that DW should have had a DC ready to go? That would require reaching to DC's and getting their commitment to coach as a DC for JH's team before hiring JH. Thus, hiring a DC before a HC.

Let's support that with: "making a head coaching hire who had a very specific deficiency without having that issue already addressed." The only solution would be addressing the DC hire before the HC hire.

Conspiracies:

* How did White not anticipate this ridiculous scenario playing out?
Maybe he did. Maybe he knew it would be hard. Maybe they knew they wanted to vet a bunch of people. Maybe none of what the media reports is true. The point is this belief (that he did not anticipate...) is completely speculative.

* "hiring a DC was not only incredibly important to Heupels success here, but that it might be difficult to do so under normal circumstances"
Based on what? Dude has been at the top of offensive lists in his entire HC career. Maybe there are some DC's out there who like coaching for teams that score points.

"I would imagine a basic point of discussion would be potential staff positions."
What makes you think they didn't have that conversation? You have some inside info, or is that just wild speculation as well?

As a final point, I said "conspiracy-esque." That means kind of like a conspiracy theory. In this case, it is kind of like you have a conspiracy theory that no one at the UTAD's office has a clue what they're doing - while you ignore the obvious answer, contained within your post. The rejection of obvious counterpoints is what makes it "conspiracy-esque."
Holy smokes, you’re making way more of this, and for what reason, I do not know.

I was clear in saying that the discussion of who Heupel expected to be on his staff is very likely a basic point of discussion during the interview process. Clearly, that didn’t happen.

You’re going off the deep end on things I did not say. So go bark at the moon with someone else.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t mind seeing whom has been hired myself.
As of now all hires are still up in the air and to my knowledge not been officially announced except for the recruiting department.
From all I that I have heard seen they seem to be excellent hires.
If the Rodney Garner rumors are true doesn’t it make a little sense that the Dc position is filled or at least in the process of being done with maybe 2-3 candidates saying they wanted him.
I know from my point of view that I would like to have an official announcement of all coaches in place .
One thing to consider in this is also compliance maybe there is an issue with some candidates for the Dc position in that department that is holding all that up.
The position will be filled, so just bide some time.
One thing also I wouldn’t necessarily listen to the media right now as to whom has been contacted and as to whom has been offered.
This is just my position I have no information as to what has and is happening.

We have a rare crop of instate talent that we are WAY behind on in recruiting. We have pivotal players still in the portal. We have a brewing media circus on not being able to make this hire. Spring practice is right around the corner.

You can’t possibly believe this is a good thing?

Relax, early signing day is months away, in fact, there is a season of football to be played. Have your heard of decommit? or flipped commitment? If Tennessee plays some exciting football and wins more than we lose then 2022 recruiting will work out just fine. I would hope getting the right fit at DC would outweigh hurry up and get it done. No one here knows how many HC or DC coaches said no. No One.

Reactions: CA_Vol
My guess would be the Head Coach saying the staff would be complete on Monday a week ago. I don't care if it takes a little time to get the right person but the HC shouldn't be making public statements about filling out a staff by a certain time and then having a week go by after his official date without having a staff hired. It obviously creates hysteria as you can see.
Bingo

Reactions: 1TheCoach1
More speculation.
This is so dumb. Of course it’s speculation, but it’s based on the fact we still don’t have a coach hired three weeks after the HC was hired.

You all are acting like this is normal operating procedure.

So Heupel’s criticism was his defensive acumen when he was hired by a lot of our fans. So now he is looking for a complimentary match to his offense. He is being cautious, deliberate and secretive. Isn’t that what we want? I’m just not sure I understand the criticism of him or how White became a control freak and puppet master. We were embarrassed as Hell the last coaching hire because everything was leaked. Now it is a more professional and judicious but yet there is still criticism. Maybe some of us just like to complain.

BINGO!!!!

Ding, Ding, Ding....we have a winner!

This is so dumb. Of course it’s speculation, but it’s based on the fact we still don’t have a coach hired three weeks after the HC was hired.

You all are acting like this is normal operating procedure.
Have you thought about there being issues with compliance with certain candidates that have slowed this process down and that guys that don’t have some issues may not be a fit.

Maybe I should have posted this in the "rock bottom" thread but does any one remember if or when a position coach at another school turned down Tennessee when offered coordinators job?

VN Store

Back