DC hire getting out of hand.

Meh.

Every hire associated with the football program has been a cluster for going on 16 years now. No sense getting worked up over it anymore.

Hope they can land Rodgers and his new shiny ring can get them some studs in the front 7.

Been awhile since this program had a bona fide pass rush.

Reactions: vol66
I have been trying really hard to remain positive about our current situation, but this DC hiring situation is getting out of hand. I’m realistic with how dire our situation is, but we have reached the point of absurdity.

I realize CJH was hired after White received several “no’s”, but am I wrong in saying that it is incredibly short sighted and negligent to have hired Heupel without him having a DC ready to go?

I think it’s well known that his offense puts a lot of pressure on a defense, so it could be reasonably anticipated that hiring a DC was not only incredibly important to Heupels success here, but that it might be difficult to do so under normal circumstances, not to mention with potential NCAA violations looming.

At this point, it is clear to me that White didn’t anticipate how difficult this hire would be under the circumstances and really put himself and the program in a difficult spot by making a head coaching hire who had a very specific deficiency without having that issue already addressed.

I don’t claim to know what the interview process is for a head coach position at a Power 5 school, but I would imagine a basic point of discussion would be potential staff positions. How did White not anticipate this ridiculous scenario playing out?
God forbid! Don’t post anything on this forum that things might be astray at this point. You’ll be chastised beyond measure by a group of mad hens on here.

God forbid! Don’t post anything on this forum that things might be astray at this point. You’ll be chastised beyond measure by a group of mad hens on here.
SECURITY ALERT: Victim Card Played

Automated adjudication protocol invoked. Running...

Username: volfan8
Attempted use of Victim Card on: Feb 12, 2021
Recap: chastised beyond measure by a group of mad hens
Scanning prior posts....
Summary Judgment: denied
Punishment: may the bird of paradise fly up his nose

Protocol runtime conclusion. Returning to normal functioning.

SECURITY ALERT: Victim Card Played

Automated adjudication protocol invoked. Running...

Username: volfan8
Attempted use of Victim Card on: Feb 12, 2021
Recap: chastised beyond measure by a group of mad hens
Scanning prior posts....
Summary Judgment: denied
Punishment: may the bird of paradise fly up his nose

Protocol runtime conclusion. Returning to normal functioning.
You have way too much time on your hands.. I kind of feel sorry for you. I actually like your personality though. Strangely enough.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Mmkay. Let's check the tape.

You said:

"It is incredibly short sighted and negligent to have hired Heupel without him having a DC ready to go?"

Did you mean that JH should have had a DC ready to go? Meaning that JH should have reached out to whatever DC he wanted, got a verbal confirmation that he would join, then vetted his DC choice with DW prior to accepting the HC job. That is essentially hiring a DC before a HC.

Or, did you mean that DW should have had a DC ready to go? That would require reaching to DC's and getting their commitment to coach as a DC for JH's team before hiring JH. Thus, hiring a DC before a HC.

Let's support that with: "making a head coaching hire who had a very specific deficiency without having that issue already addressed." The only solution would be addressing the DC hire before the HC hire.

Conspiracies:

* How did White not anticipate this ridiculous scenario playing out?
Maybe he did. Maybe he knew it would be hard. Maybe they knew they wanted to vet a bunch of people. Maybe none of what the media reports is true. The point is this belief (that he did not anticipate...) is completely speculative.

* "hiring a DC was not only incredibly important to Heupels success here, but that it might be difficult to do so under normal circumstances"
Based on what? Dude has been at the top of offensive lists in his entire HC career. Maybe there are some DC's out there who like coaching for teams that score points.

"I would imagine a basic point of discussion would be potential staff positions."
What makes you think they didn't have that conversation? You have some inside info, or is that just wild speculation as well?

As a final point, I said "conspiracy-esque." That means kind of like a conspiracy theory. In this case, it is kind of like you have a conspiracy theory that no one at the UTAD's office has a clue what they're doing - while you ignore the obvious answer, contained within your post. The rejection of obvious counterpoints is what makes it "conspiracy-esque."
Im with you on every single point made. I would even take it a step further and say I have zero concern at this point. They took their time firing Pruitt, so it makes total sense to me that we would move through the entire process slowly. What's the rush?? Spring practice doesnt start tomorrow. Take your time and get it right.# GBFO

Reactions: Cherokee Orange
So Heupel’s criticism was his defensive acumen when he was hired by a lot of our fans. So now he is looking for a complimentary match to his offense. He is being cautious, deliberate and secretive. Isn’t that what we want? I’m just not sure I understand the criticism of him or how White became a control freak and puppet master. We were embarrassed as Hell the last coaching hire because everything was leaked. Now it is a more professional and judicious but yet there is still criticism. Maybe some of us just like to complain.

He's being turned down.

This admin is just a cheap, as the last admins.

If UT pulls out a big fish for our DC, I'll be happy to eat crow.

Josh Conklin etc, are not a big DC fish.

I have been trying really hard to remain positive about our current situation, but this DC hiring situation is getting out of hand. I’m realistic with how dire our situation is, but we have reached the point of absurdity.

I realize CJH was hired after White received several “no’s”, but am I wrong in saying that it is incredibly short sighted and negligent to have hired Heupel without him having a DC ready to go?

I think it’s well known that his offense puts a lot of pressure on a defense, so it could be reasonably anticipated that hiring a DC was not only incredibly important to Heupels success here, but that it might be difficult to do so under normal circumstances, not to mention with potential NCAA violations looming.

At this point, it is clear to me that White didn’t anticipate how difficult this hire would be under the circumstances and really put himself and the program in a difficult spot by making a head coaching hire who had a very specific deficiency without having that issue already addressed.

I don’t claim to know what the interview process is for a head coach position at a Power 5 school, but I would imagine a basic point of discussion would be potential staff positions. How did White not anticipate this ridiculous scenario playing out?

That’s rich coming from you. Your definition of positive is only complaining 23 hours out of the day instead of 24

Reactions: Blackburn

Good points, all. A lot of "if's and but's" here as well. It doesn't take the FBI to figure out that any solid P5, or even G5 DC would balk at coming here, for obvious reasons. So you overcome that, if you can, with money and a guaranteed contract length. Failing that, and this is where I think we are now, then you have to look for lower level DC's or defensive position coaches who have that "Hell yeah, gimme a shot at it!" mentality. The problem there is identifying that one special guy who is ready to step into the ring with the heavyweights of the SEC. Again, this is where I think we are now.

IMO, and I'm wrong a lot, at this point you either roll the dice on one of those, or you roll with Kevin Steele. If you can get the Rodney Garners and the top-shelf position guys, by all means go get them. Make them a "condition of employment" for Steele (who obviously won't object), or the hot guy from the FCS. Make sure Steele knows that this is a one-year audition for the permanent job, and then keep your feelers out for the guy you really wanted, or that really wants the job.

It's time for Coach Heupel to find the guy that will say "yes", even if it's Steele, and make the hire. The rest of the coaching world will be watching UT closely through the '21 season. If UT starts winning games, it'll be a lot easier to find the right DC next December, as opposed to next week.

A good plan executed now is better than a great plan executed later. So go find "Mr. Right Now", and let's hope it turns out to be Mr. Right.

Go Vols.

Reactions: Cherokee Orange

For me it's a lot simpler and more fundamental: our administration screwed us, again, and now we get to watch it play out, again.

For a day or so, when White was first hired, it appeared as though we might have finally gotten serious about winning. Then we had the fiasco to end all fiascos of a coaching search, one that rivalled every other fiasco we have had in the last twelve years, culminating in the hire by our new hotshot AD of...his coach at his previous school. This was then followed by the pumpers turning out in force like never before, armed with nonsense and verbal assaults aimed at anyone who dared question what had just happened, repeating over and over the mindless foolishness of, "He was the best we could get," "We're lucky to have gotten him," etc., basically the exact same things that were said when Pruitt was hired, when Jones was hired, when Dooley was hired.

If we had offered even three legitimate candidates with real, proven track records of turning a program around, if we had offered Campbell, Fickell, and Fleck in turn $10 million a year, one of them would have taken it. Better yet, we could have offered five or six million to Hugh Freeze and he would be here now and we would be on our way to the best football we have played in decades (if he can make it into the top 25 with zero-stars, he can win here with three- and four- and five-stars, sanctions or not). But we didn't, because our administration and boosters value us, the fans, as much as they do the dirt they scrape off their shoes when they walk into their houses after a long day of treating this football program like their personal toy.

Reactions: loservol and CA_Vol
He's being turned down.

This admin is just a cheap, as the last admins.

If UT pulls out a big fish for our DC, I'll be happy to eat crow.

Josh Conklin etc, are not a big DC fish.
So freakin’ what. He got turned down by a guy at a perennial powerhouse and grew up in that town. By all accounts he is going to be a DC at a major school without our baggage or a HC. Isn’t that what we want from this Administration? Football Scoop reported earlier that there is a plethora of candidates and this job still has lots of appeal. Quit being a baby and complaining about everything.

With JH’s offense being what it is.... it may make being a DC for him a lot like going on a double date to help a friend out and getting stuck with the fat hound

Honestly, I think we need a relatively young, innovative, aggressive door-kicker who wants the opportunity to run with the big dogs. It's a cyclic game. Sooner or later, somebody is going to figure out how to slow down offenses like Heupel's. Be nice if they figured it out at UT, right?

Go Vols.

For me it's a lot simpler and more fundamental: our administration screwed us, again, and now we get to watch it play out, again.

For a day or so, when White was first hired, it appeared as though we might have finally gotten serious about winning. Then we had the fiasco to end all fiascos of a coaching search, one that rivalled every other fiasco we have had in the last twelve years, culminating in the hire by our new hotshot AD of...his coach at his previous school. This was then followed by the pumpers turning out in force like never before, armed with nonsense and verbal assaults aimed at anyone who dared question what had just happened, repeating over and over the mindless foolishness of, "He was the best we could get," "We're lucky to have gotten him," etc., basically the exact same things that were said when Pruitt was hired, when Jones was hired, when Dooley was hired.

If we had offered even three legitimate candidates with real, proven track records of turning a program around, if we had offered Campbell, Fickell, and Fleck in turn $10 million a year, one of them would have taken it. Better yet, we could have offered five or six million to Hugh Freeze and he would be here now and we would be on our way to the best football we have played in decades (if he can make it into the top 25 with zero-stars, he can win here with three- and four- and five-stars, sanctions or not). But we didn't, because our administration and boosters value us, the fans, as much as they do the dirt they scrape off their shoes when they walk into their houses after a long day of treating this football program like their personal toy.

That would have been a great plan..... we would have been laughed out of the NCAA for offering that list of candidates that kind of money. Campbell is the only legitimate coach on that list that could have made the transition to the SEC. I will not dignify the Freeze offering as it never has warranted the air time it has eaten up in a character counts world. We did in fact get a top 5 rated AD and he has quite the history of getting coaches in place and succeeding. So we will all have to wait and see if he has done it again. Predicting overwhelming success or failure is a fools errand. The curve may in fact be impacted by the gravity of NCAA hammer, but that too is TBD. So let's all sit back and at least wait till the spring game before we loose our minds.

Reactions: XMR

VN Store

Back