Darel Middleton to the transfer portal

Garner for sure on them boys heads which I love and definitely holding them 10x more accountable than Pruitt ever did... I had a good talk with him and he felt this was the best move for him and his career and I couldnā€™t be mad at him he is a grown man with a family to feedā€¦ Iā€™ll never get on here and bash any football player you can check my post thatā€™s the thing I hateā€¦ we can disagree with players decisions all day I just hate when it turn to mindless bashing from people who would never in a million years say that stuff to a players face.
Donā€™t claim to know anything about why Middleton is leaving. But your comment reminded me of this interview with Garner from spring. If you havenā€™t seen it, itā€™s worth watching. The takeaway is ā€œthereā€™s gonna be lots of love but there is only one way to do thingsā€

Garner: Vols' D-line room a 'benevolent dictatorship'

So...here's where I'm at:

DE: Butler-Bumphus-Blakely
DT: Bailey-Garland-Terry
DT: Solomon-Thomas-Simmons
DE: Baron-Eason-Young

Still 3-deep but any more defections and we'll start eating into that depth
Tremblay will be in the three deep.

Yeah. I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Could be they don't believe in him... but others have very publicly stated their confidence and are telling recruits that the new staff is much better than the old one.

It could be simple honesty in some cases- "You don't fit what we're doing and may want to consider other options".

In other cases it could be personal or academic. If Middleton is not a pro prospect then why not either get a better educational opportunity or perhaps even make things easier academically.

Lots of potential reasons. There isn't likely a single one that covers everyone who left.

PS- the cash for play investigation is still out there. There is always the chance that a player was asked to go elsewhere because of involvement.

OR he could be getting an unofficial offer from somewhere that makes his financial struggles easier. There's probably as many different reasons why kids are going into the portal as there are kids there. I'm not seeing this as Heupel centric, however, all staffs are now in a new paradigm where you have to be ready to re-recruit and retain the kids you have or they'll seek opportunities elsewhere.

Reactions: sjt18
Trembley came here to refine his game under Garner, it's an NFL audition for him, I think he will do well. Terry has more years to play, but is here for the same reasons. Middleton saw the writing on the wall.

What I don't get is how a lot of players say it feels likes a family and they like this staff so much better but then why is everyone leaving?

I get that's gonna be a new normal but it just seems excessive right now here. Sheesh

Yes, a friend told me at lunch. Does that seem unusual to you? LOL

In the case of Middleton? Not really. This player has floated around even back in high school. I believe this was the one who had issues at Powell, and transferred over to Oak Ridge. And his college recruitment was full of twists and turns as well.

Darel Middleton Timeline Events

Good athlete, but perhaps some might consider him a bit of a head case even by today's standards. So not surprised at all.

Last edited:
That's what they are kind of hoping for tbh. It's all they got. a shoot out. The D has to do it's job if you can use shock and awe. That's what we are hoping. On a side note, I remember Dools quite well, and this is the anniversary of LOVEGUN. Which absolutely should be our "third down for what" song, our we riot.

Lol

That's what they are kind of hoping for tbh. It's all they got. a shoot out. The D has to do it's job if you can use shock and awe. That's what we are hoping. On a side note, I remember Dools quite well, and this is the anniversary of LOVEGUN. Which absolutely should be our "third down for what" song, our we riot.

Great. While you are at it, throw in some Taylor Swift. We can test catch nets around the upper decks for whoever wants to make them.

Y'all with a higher football IQ than me... am I explaining this too simplistically?

Pruitt's defensive scheme required huge guys who could stuff the line of scrimmage and tie up two offensive linemen, thus enabling fast LBs to make the tackle.

Our current scheme is to make calculated gambles to force turnovers and loss-of-yardage plays. That requires quick, nimble DLs who can run all sorts of stunts and get penetration.

Big line-stuffers like Middleton have no role to play in that scheme.

Given his family responsibilities, Middleton absolutely needs to go someplace where he can play to his strengths and showcase his NFL potential.

But Pruitt's results had huge guys NOT stuffing the line of scrimmage or tying up any offensive linemen. And the LB moved in slow motion or missed tackles. But nice try.

Bailey was 4 star and didnā€™t play much last year. Iā€™m interested to see Simmons and Eason.

I'm a monster Simmons fan. Some of my friends in Nashville who told me about Bituli coming out of high school had the same sort of feeling about Simmons so I trust their judgement of talent. Simmons is a big boy, carries more weight than he should, but he's a 'frigerator Perry type kid, big and can move. Ran track on his high school sprint relay team at about 360 ponuds. I think his weight holds him back with coaches and playing time, but as a youngster he was in on that goal line stand at UK a few years back where they had a pretty good Oline and he/we held. He needs to play more when we have been soft in the middle IMO.

I get a player leaving if the head coach or position coach leaves, because let's be honest when you sign to play it's your relationship with that coach much more often than your feelings toward a particular school.

So, I am fine with the transfer rule when you have a coaching change. Other than that I really think that it is not a good thing.

I'm with Inky on this one and just say bye, but don't try and play the VFL card as you left and you terminated the relationship, good luck to you and I hope that it all works out the way that you want it too.

Appreciate the time and effort Darrel put into Tennessee football. That stand from the Kentucky game is one of the nice highlights from the Pruitt time.

Wish him nothing but the best for him and his future.

Why would a coach want to talk with a kid who may not be meeting the demands of his new program? Sometimes the old culture is poisoned and needs purging. We have all read what the other players on the team are saying about the new staff. Obviously, Middleton is an outlier here. I trust Rodney Garner and Josh Heupel.
Middletonā€™s been a human mixed message since Pruitt was firedā€¦not much better previously. Not attacking him since we donā€™t know the full storyā€¦just what he throws on social media. I donā€™t think the staff was looking forward to a full season of this balancing act. My take is that he wasnā€™t going to playā€¦so itā€™s not lost DEPTH.

Reactions: onevol74
Explain if you can.
I get it that some turnover is ā€œgoodā€ turnover and itā€™s not like these veterans were world beaters in our 3-7 season last year, but losing any depth really hurts in our Front 7. My biggest concern is the fact we will have a nonexistent pass rush, which will further stress our thin Secondary. Was hoping weā€™d add Prunty at CB for depth. Maybe DaJon Terry can make an immediate impact up front. Fact of the matter is, this is going to be a mediocre unit. I do trust Rodney Garner. What you see on Twitter from these kids doesnā€™t tell the full story on their work ethic, drive and will to get better. I think Middleton is FOS.

Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back