Darel Middleton to the transfer portal

That's what they are kind of hoping for tbh. It's all they got. a shoot out. The D has to do it's job if you can use shock and awe. That's what we are hoping. On a side note, I remember Dools quite well, and this is the anniversary of LOVEGUN. Which absolutely should be our "third down for what" song, our we riot.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I posted this in another thread earlier today. Is it possible that someone is holding him accountable for his actions? I sure hope so as I think the locker room is in desperate need of it.

He was going to play, and probably a lot. He has NFL potential for sure, so no way he's leaving because of a lack of PT.

Garner for sure on them boys heads which I love and definitely holding them 10x more accountable than Pruitt ever did... I had a good talk with him and he felt this was the best move for him and his career and I couldn’t be mad at him he is a grown man with a family to feed… I’ll never get on here and bash any football player you can check my post that’s the thing I hate… we can disagree with players decisions all day I just hate when it turn to mindless bashing from people who would never in a million years say that stuff to a players face.

While I was out to lunch I heard that Middleton has entered the transfer portal.
It appears some of the old guard are afraid they have to do some hard work for the first time. If they don’t think they can get done, it is best for the team to hit the road. Their attitudes are likely part of the performance problems we had last year. The chaff needs to be sifted out before real progress can be made.

Hate it, but there’s been rumblings for a while that some of the established D line guys weren’t buying in and more transfers were going to occur.

We’ve seen what a bunch of quitters look like for several years now. The only way that you really get a true culture change is for ALL of the attitude problems to hit the door, and roll with what you have.

I hope it looks good on the field, but if they don’t quit, that’s a start.

Yikes! Hope Heup recognizes the importance of Senior players to team morale. This is an easy start to locker room talk of ‘coach doesn’t care about you, only the kids he is recruiting for next year. He doesn’t care about this year.’
If this was my last season to have an impact and try to make it in the league, and it takes a week to talk to the head coach, it would be easy to think the coach is not trying to win right now, but is looking to the next year when I’m not a part of the team. Why would I want to stay?
Why would a coach want to talk with a kid who may not be meeting the demands of his new program? Sometimes the old culture is poisoned and needs purging. We have all read what the other players on the team are saying about the new staff. Obviously, Middleton is an outlier here. I trust Rodney Garner and Josh Heupel.

It will get worse. Much worse now that things are moving towards the NFL minor league system. Yay.

I'd be happy if it went TOTALLY to an NFL Farm system. Then have REAL College guys actually attending class & Playing Football vs other College Guys doing likewise. The current system has been a joke for 40 years anyway. These guys want to be paid , hail let the NFL pay them; and stop pretending they are actually Students. I'll root for Orange whatever.

While I was out to lunch I heard that Middleton has entered the transfer portal.
his first couple of years are going to be soot
Got a notice from Email. Seems to me that CJH is cutting the deadwood and getting rid of those players that do not fit his scheme of playing fast. I think he realizes that
his first couple of years is going to be shoot shows and he needs players he can have a chance with.

The problem with losing a 6th year senior is we don’t have the spots to replace him. But I want guys that buy into Garner’s program.

Middleton has talent, but a lot of issues. Next man up.

the NIL is one thing, the supreme court ruling is something else entirely and will have the biggest effect.

I’ve stated this in other posts. The talent will be turned around faster than the culture. We have no leadership. Good programs get players to turn down the NFL because they love the team so much. But we get seniors that don't really want to stick around.

I am fine with swapping out the lazy malcontents with discipline, grade, and drug problems. I’d rather throw 5 or so walk ons in there that would run through a wall to wear the uniform.

I'd be happy if it went TOTALLY to an NFL Farm system. Then have REAL College guys actually attending class & Playing Football vs other College Guys doing likewise. The current system has been a joke for 40 years anyway. These guys want to be paid , hail let the NFL pay them; and stop pretending they are actually Students. I'll root for Orange whatever.

So you want all Division I teams to be filled by players who would struggle to make a Division III team at the moment?

Because that is what you are going to get if the NFL ever does decide to go the farm team route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy and Doberman
They will go were ever they can get paid, to be perfectly honest. where ever they can make a dollar.

He isn’t going to make anything due to NIL, very few are. Who is going to buy a Darrel Middleton inspired item? You cannot use the name of the school or team you are playing for, no one is going to recognize his name or very few other players without the name of the school behind their success.

Reactions: tbwhhs and onevol74
source.gif
WOW !!! Would somebody please get that child a cheeseburger .

Reactions: Bret178 and tbwhhs
First the RBs entered the transfer portal, and I said "Next man up!"

Then the WRs entered the transfer portal, and I said "Next man up!"

Then the LBs entered the transfer portal, and I said "Next man up!"

Then the CBs entered the transfer portal, and still I said "Next man up!"

And then DLs entered the transfer portal, and I said nothing, because there was no one left to step up.[/

And then they came for you.

He isn’t going to make anything due to NIL, very few are. Who is going to buy a Darrel Middleton inspired item? You cannot use the name of the school or team you are playing for, no one is going to recognize his name or very few other players without the name of the school behind their success.
I think Darrel would have been a perfect spokesperson for”natural gas.”

Y'all with a higher football IQ than me... am I explaining this too simplistically?

Pruitt's defensive scheme required huge guys who could stuff the line of scrimmage and tie up two offensive linemen, thus enabling fast LBs to make the tackle.

Our current scheme is to make calculated gambles to force turnovers and loss-of-yardage plays. That requires quick, nimble DLs who can run all sorts of stunts and get penetration.

Big line-stuffers like Middleton have no role to play in that scheme.

Given his family responsibilities, Middleton absolutely needs to go someplace where he can play to his strengths and showcase his NFL potential.

I don't usually post with an in-your-face attitude, but I think it's time we take some pride in our own behavior as Vol fans.

The hate and empty-minded accusations posted here toward this player, by people who don't know him or his motivations, is sickening. If that's all you have to offer as a so-called supporter of the Vols, go cheer for Bama--you've already shown yourselves to be classless.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

VN Store

Back