Danny White to USC? Rumor mill is insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see...THIS
AF-COMPOSITE-LA-SKID-ROW.jpg

homeless-tents-sidewalk-los-angeles-california-usa-homeless-tents-downtown-los-angeles-california-usa-168001130.jpg

vs THIS...
knoxville-tennessee-e1597921323532-1024x576.jpg

21b45cfd0df1fe9850613f6f8848f933.jpg

221759_hero.jpg

it's close...

you should venture out towards Merchant Dr. Not much difference between there and your pictures above…

Very dishonest. You are comparing some of the best pictures of Knoxville with the worst pictures of LA. I was born in Knoxville and went to UT for both degrees. I also worked in LA for ten years. Both cities have excellent areas and both cities have dumpster fire areas. That's not the point.

Danny White is catching the eye of USC and others because he Is showing that he has a vision and a command of the pieces necessary to deliver the vision. If he continues to deliver on back to back all sports championships (now 2 in row) and deliver the Neyland/Tennessee Entertainment District, UT will need to pay the man his market value or someone else will. He is a great asset to UT and my vote is for us to pay the man when the time comes.
I’m mostly with you on White but I lived in L.A. for ten years, when it had not reached the level of decline it has now (I came back here in 2007), and there isn’t an inch of ground in that city that can hold a candle to any of our main cities other than Memphis. Even then one had to pass through feces-brown clouds of smog when flying into LAX, and even at the nicest beach there’s never a day without that smog. No trees, nothing but concrete, in the middle of a desert, and a desert of people with a soul or any decency or character.

Reactions: tennrich1
That's nuts. I read that the highest paid AD gets just over 3 million. If this really is true they would be giving him 5 million more than the highest paid AD. He's in a great spot at UT, why would he want to start over besides the money?
I'm all Orange but 8 mill would even have me thinking 🤔!

He would need $2 million more a year just to account for the higher cost of Living on the left coast.

Last edited:
Reactions: esarmstrong
Folks who live in California (and aren't trying to escape) tend to think California is paradise. They say things like, "a 10 anywhere else is at best an 8 in Los Angeles," and, "California is the most progressive state on almost all social issues; the rest of the country follows our lead," and "being surrounded by famous people makes California an unequaled living environment."

What they don't realize is fake boobs, fake hair, and fake lips are not adored by most normal folks. What they don't realize is, much of the country looks at California's social policies in disdain. What they don't realize is, a lot of people could care less about fame, in fact see it as counter-productive to daily harmony.

In other words, what Californians believe makes California awesome is the very same stuff that makes much of the country see California as a land of broken toys.

Californians think the rest of us just don't get it. The rest of us think Californians just don't get it.

That won't change, even with all the arguments both ways in this thread.

The good news is, I think Dan White sees the world more like the majority of us than like the majority of Californians.

Go Vols!

p.s. Yes, I meant to say "Californians" and not just "Los Angeleans." Northern California is entirely different, agreed. But much of the state is caught up in the frenzy of Orange County. I lived in Monterey, more than 5 hours north, and found the people there completely caught up in the LA outlook. So my apologies to those living north of Sacramento; otherwise, think this is a fair depiction of most folks in the state.

Note: some of these thoughts apply to NYC residents, too. They have a harsher accent and endure brutal winters, but tend also to see their nightlife-filled streets as the ultimate goal of all the "farmers" who fill up the "overflight states" that make up most of the country between them and LA.

Last edited:
That's easy to prove wrong.

Currie made the bone-headed choice to go after Schiano entirely without Fulmer's input. He should've known better. Any AD worth his salt should have known better.

And then, after Schiano backfired on him, instead of settling back and coming up with a decent Plan B, he started rushing around like a chicken with his head cut off.

No, Fulmer bears his share of blame for our later woes, but Currie was a certified doofus that hiring search.

His #1 problem was that he didn't understand how high he should have been aiming. He didn't really get that Tennessee is a brand name every bit as powerful as Ohio State, USC, Bama, Nebraska, or Texas. All he knew was our down years, yet he thought he knew us and what we were aiming for.

He was dead wrong. That's on him, not Fulmer.

Go Vols!
TBF, the ultimate answer wasn’t HIGHly regarded. Despite the “brand name”, coaches weren’t leaving their current situations for ours. White has made a career of sifting through the next best thing (options wise) and making the correct call. And we don’t get White without Boyd and Plowman settling the playing field. Not defending Currie’s process…it failed. But he was working in a vacuum that had repeatedly failed our program for 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back