Danny White to USC? Rumor mill is insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really poor attempt at humor. Think back to the Kiffin saga.

8 million is a lot of money. To the point that it's not terribly believable and it looks desperate if it is true. Tennessee is on the upswing while USC and the Pac are a mess. Color me skeptical.

And we were grooming Poot to take over Bama when Saban leaves. UT has a battered syndrome.
And we have in fact been frequently battered the last 15 years so I understand some degree of concern. I think White seems happy here but we better keep the money close if they do come calling.

California tax bracket for 8 milion = 13.3%. So, 8 x .133 = 1.064 million

So, an 8 million offer is actually 7 million. That's what we would have to match, not 8.
Then there is cost of living, real estate, and the crime. There is a reason people are leaving that state in droves. Many of them come to this state.

I’m not concerned. Phil Fulmer is a VFL. What’s the worst that could happen? 🤷🏼‍♂️

The thing is, had they put him in charge instead of Curry to begin with, he probably would have had us back on track four years ago. By the time they came to their senses, coach selections were much skinnier than slim!

The thing is, had they put him in charge instead of Curry to begin with, he probably would have had us back on track four years ago. By the time they came to their senses, coach selections were much skinnier than slim!
You are probably the last person in the world other than Fulmer and his family who believes this. I disagreed with his original firing as football coach but absolutely nothing about his tenure as athletic director indicated to me that he had the acumen for the job at any time.

Reactions: Bret178
I didn’t want him hired the first time because I felt it would take him too long to learn the business side on the job. Owned my wrong after it appeared things were turning around and didn’t bother to update my lease/purchase option when he udderly and epically failed. Doesn’t change my appreciation and love for the man, but he sucked in the role of hiring outside his inner circle…dating back to when Cut left for Ole Miss. He had a concept of what he wanted on the field and it’s outdated.

Article insinuates that Fulmer, and his incompetence, was our problem and not Currie. And I agree.

Article insinuates that Fulmer, and his incompetence, was our problem and not Currie. And I agree.
That's easy to prove wrong.

Currie made the bone-headed choice to go after Schiano entirely without Fulmer's input. He should've known better. Any AD worth his salt should have known better.

And then, after Schiano backfired on him, instead of settling back and coming up with a decent Plan B, he started rushing around like a chicken with his head cut off.

No, Fulmer bears his share of blame for our later woes, but Currie was a certified doofus that hiring search.

His #1 problem was that he didn't understand how high he should have been aiming. He didn't really get that Tennessee is a brand name every bit as powerful as Ohio State, USC, Bama, Nebraska, or Texas. All he knew was our down years, yet he thought he knew us and what we were aiming for.

He was dead wrong. That's on him, not Fulmer.

Go Vols!

If someone posted they read where you had to dig your own grave Walmart would sell out of shovels.

Reactions: onevol74
Job satisfaction is something that can't be overlooked. If Danny White is happy working for the UT powers that be and his family is happy here, then no amount of money should make him want to a shitehole like California, besides after California state and local taxes, $8 mil wouldn't look so good. Another thought is how much fan support does USC have in jaded LA? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but it would appear from a distance that he would be much better off career wise at UT and with the job he has been doing I can't image UT's deep pocket donors letting him get away after the crap fest of the last 15 to 20 years.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
That's easy to prove wrong.

Currie made the bone-headed choice to go after Schiano entirely without Fulmer's input. He should've known better. Any AD worth his salt should have known better.

And then, after Schiano backfired on him, instead of settling back and coming up with a decent Plan B, he started rushing around like a chicken with his head cut off.

No, Fulmer bears his share of blame for our later woes, but Currie was a certified doofus that hiring search.

His #1 problem was that he didn't understand how high he should have been aiming. He didn't really get that Tennessee is a brand name every bit as powerful as Ohio State, USC, Bama, Nebraska, or Texas. All he knew was our down years, yet he thought he knew us and what we were aiming for.

He was dead wrong. That's on him, not Fulmer.

Go Vols!
Currie didn’t decide to do anything Haslam did. How unilateral the decision making had gotten is largely why Fulmer was able to take the place of Currie.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Let's see...THIS
AF-COMPOSITE-LA-SKID-ROW.jpg

homeless-tents-sidewalk-los-angeles-california-usa-homeless-tents-downtown-los-angeles-california-usa-168001130.jpg

vs THIS...
knoxville-tennessee-e1597921323532-1024x576.jpg

21b45cfd0df1fe9850613f6f8848f933.jpg

221759_hero.jpg

it's close...

Very dishonest. You are comparing some of the best pictures of Knoxville with the worst pictures of LA. I was born in Knoxville and went to UT for both degrees. I also worked in LA for ten years. Both cities have excellent areas and both cities have dumpster fire areas. That's not the point.

Danny White is catching the eye of USC and others because he Is showing that he has a vision and a command of the pieces necessary to deliver the vision. If he continues to deliver on back to back all sports championships (now 2 in row) and deliver the Neyland/Tennessee Entertainment District, UT will need to pay the man his market value or someone else will. He is a great asset to UT and my vote is for us to pay the man when the time comes.

You are probably the last person in the world other than Fulmer and his family who believes this. I disagreed with his original firing as football coach but absolutely nothing about his tenure as athletic director indicated to me that he had the acumen for the job at any time.

You are not taking into account his other hires nor his increase in project funding. Sure we are a football school but there was absolutely no one willing to come to that dumpster fire we were at that time.

Had he been hired instead of Curry, we would had been in a much better situation.

Man 3M in Tennessee is equivalent to like 8M in California. California is a hell hole. You have to give up around 50% of your income. Then property values are insane and of course…there’s all the crime. If I’m in the administration at Tennessee I’d make sure DW is the highest paid ad in America (with a clause that guarantees as much) but to go along with that massive contract should be an even larger buyout preventing any other school from being able to get him away.
But I don’t think that matters anyway. You don’t typically see elite schools go after ad’s that have no connect to the school and essentially buy them away from all the other competitors. And how could it make sense for usc anyway? The most important thing an ad can do for a school is make the correct footballs head coach hire. And USC doesn’t have that need? They already have a young top5 HC that’s only in his second year. It would make no sense for them to waste 40M+ to hire an AD when you already have your football coach in place.

Reactions: onevol74
Very dishonest. You are comparing some of the best pictures of Knoxville with the worst pictures of LA. I was born in Knoxville and went to UT for both degrees. I also worked in LA for ten years. Both cities have excellent areas and both cities have dumpster fire areas. That's not the point.

Danny White is catching the eye of USC and others because he Is showing that he has a vision and a command of the pieces necessary to deliver the vision. If he continues to deliver on back to back all sports championships (now 2 in row) and deliver the Neyland/Tennessee Entertainment District, UT will need to pay the man his market value or someone else will. He is a great asset to UT and my vote is for us to pay the man when the time comes.

Disagree. While I’m sure both cities have nice areas and poor areas…very few places in the country have the homeless and drug addict issues that la has. Nor do most cities have the same level of issues with rising crime. Add to that the almost unbearable taxation and insane real estate values. Knoxville for many would be the preferred destination. Now for those with California or west coast roots I can understand the draw to go back.
But California is definitely losing a lot of its appeal. It’s one of the few states in America that’s actually losing population on an annual basis.

Incredibly dumb rumor with the figures being thrown around. People are going to reach out to Danny though, kind of shows the job he is doing here. I don’t see him being a fit for USC at all though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back