Dan Mullen thread (merged)

Further observations :

Mullen is 64- 42 in his head coaching career for a 60% win percentage
Butch is 32-22 in his head coaching career for a 64% win percentage

Mullen is 29 -64 in SEC play as a head coach for a 45% win percentage
Butch is 14 - 32 in SEC play as a head coach for a 44% win percentage

Im sure someone has already corrected your terrible maths.

Mullen is 64-42 for a .604 win percentage at Msu
Butch is 32-22 for a .593 win percentage at Tn. Nice try adding those extra 50 or so percentage points.

But i aint reading 9 pages of people schooling you on the difference in playing....

1. In the SEC WEST since 2009. Vs SEC EAST.

2. At MSU vs TENNESSEE.

1. Dan Mullen started his head coaching career in 2009, the exact same year when SEC WEST ABSOLUTE DOMINANCE began, no SEC EAST representative has won the conference championship since...2008. Since 2008 the sec east has been the jan brady to the Marcia of the West and everyone knows it. No sec east team "wishes" they were in the west. Its like a soldier from the wehrmacht in ww2, stationed in France 1943, wishing he was on the eastern front.

2. Dan is winning at a .604 clip at a school with a historical .492 win percentage. So he's a +112 Coach when considering his environment. Dan has also won 5 of Mississippi State's 12 all time bowl wins. Yep theyve been around since 1895 and hes won 42% of their total bowl wins....let that sink in.

2b. Butch is winning .593 at a school with a historical .681 win percentage. So butch is -88 in his environment. Hes the very opposite of Mullen, the bizzaro world mullen. And just as Mullen has been unfortunate to hit Mississippi State at the worst possible time as far as competition goes, Lil Lyle has just scooted on into the weakest sec east in conference history. He missed Richts great years, missed Floridas best years, in fact butch has had almost zero competition when compared to historical standards, and instead of taking advantage, somehow turned Vandy into a heated rivalry.

So please, do your homework, learn your maths, quit molesting facts, and accept the ugly truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Mullen is a good coach, sure.

There's absolutely nothing in his resume that says he's a championship coach.

We are gonna gamble on somebody, sure. I'd just as soon it not be Dan Mullen.

"He can do better than Butch" is not the metric of success we should be using.

I hope the next head coach is an NFL guy past or present that has won in that league. That is the guy that could make the difference and get us to another level. Kellly, Gruden, Peyton Manning, Jeff Fisher, etc.

Other than being an OC while Florida was winning and proving that he can decelop a QB, what makes everyone believe that Mullen can win Championships here?

Here are the excuses I see associated with Mullen..

Well, it's hard to recruit to Miss. State.

Tbh if you aren't winning championships or competing for them it's hard to recruit elite players anywhere. Butch has recruited better than his record indicates he should have.

Yes, the west is a tougher division than the East. But if Mullen was such a great coach why hasn't he won more against teams more talented than his teams? That's what elite coaches do. They take less talent and beat better teams. Chris Peterson @ Boise, Paul Johnson @ GT, even Gary Patterson @ TCU, they do more with less. I know Mullen just beat LSU but honestly they are a mess right now. Back out Mullrns OOC schedule and he is performing about where his talent dictates he should, or slightly above.

Mullen does make better game day decisions I'll give you that.

But to me he isn't the answer. If we as a fanbase have to go through another coaching search, another hire, I don't want there to be questions on the other side if we upgraded or not.

And like JP said, hiring someone just because he may be better than Butch isn't the right answer.

We need a proven and relentless recruiter.
We need someone that has the name to draw top assistants.
We need someone that has a proven record of winning. If they aren't a proven coach in a P5 conference then they better have a record of over achieving on a consistent basis and not just a couple good years.

I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone say " well, if we can just make it to Atlanta anything can happen.". To me that's a defestest attide. I'm sick of Bamas run. I want someone that can legitimately give UT a chance to beat Sabans ass and not compete for also ran titles like just winning the East.

I don't have the answer about who to hire but I do have an opinion and Mullen ain't it. And just because he is better than Butch isn't a good enough reason to drop millions on hiring him. Butch isn't the measuring stick, Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, even Franklin, that's your measuring stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
So, Mullen is a great Qb coach... but he still has NOTHING to show for it if we’re using the same metrics were using to judge Butch, right? No sec West championships, never beat Bama.

1-2 in the last three games against their hated in state rival Ole Miss.

The fallacy in your argument is that you think Miss St is the same job as Tennessee. If you think this is true, then your opinion of Tennessee as a SEC program is in the toilet.

Here come the Butch Apologists to trash Mullen. Get ready OP.

What a joke you are. Just because people like me don't want this program dragged thru the mud like people like you do doesn't make me an apologist.

I don't care if Butch goes at the end of the year as long as it's an upgrade that gets us to the SEC championship game and ultimately in the playoff. Mullen IMHO is not that guy.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope the next head coach is an NFL guy past or present that has won in that league. That is the guy that could make the difference and get us to another level. Kellly, Gruden, Peyton Manning, Jeff Fisher, etc.

LOL like NFL equated back to NCAA... Give me a break.

and yet MSU had a far easier schedule last year - TN's was twice as difficult, yet MSU only went 6-7, 3-5 in the league, and beating Miami of Ohio in a bowl 17-16.

The only way you can justify comparing UT and Miss St as equal jobs is to say that the talent level is the same and it's not by a long shot. Recruiting classes at Miss St don't compare with what Butch has brought in. There are so many problems with your analysis that I could start an entire thread devoted to it.

Don't worry. It won't be Mullen but UT will find another way to miraculously hire another golden turd.

So why the F do so many want to fire the coach we have.

The mouth breathers on here will scream fahr Butch over and over and the bemoan the fact we will hire a ****ty coach with the next breath.

Amazing how dim many on this board are.

Every volnation thread has “Hire Mullen”posts so I thought it would be interesting to take an objective look at Mullen:

Mullen is 6-21 against top 25 teams. He’s never beaten Bama and never won the sec West. In fact, in 8 seasons at MSU, he’s only finished greater than 2nd in the SEC West one time, every other season has been 4th or worse... in 8 seasons he’s only had above .500 record in SEC play 1 time.

His best season and only season to achieve 10 wins was 2013 when they went 10-3 and lost in the Orange Bowl. That was in year, wait for it..... 6 at MSU

Year 1 record - 5-7 (3-5 SEC)
Year 2 - 9-4 (4-4 SEC)
Year 3- 7-6 (2-6 SEC)
Year 4- 8-5 (4-4 SEC)
Year 5- 7-6 (3-5 SEC)
Year 6- 10-3 (6-2 SEC)
Year 7 - 9-4 (4-4 SEC)
Year 8 - 6-7 (3-5 SEC)

An objective look at his numbers suggests Mullen and Butch are cut from the same cloth. Average 8-4 consistent coaches.

Numbers only tell half the story with Mullen. Much, much more difficult job at Miss State....it's much more difficult to go 8-4 in Starkville, playing in the West than it is to go 8-4 at Tennessee, playing in the East.

This "it's so much harder to win in the West" excuse for Mullen is very poor logic. I'm surprised so many folks are suckered into it.

Look, we want our next coach to be a Saban, or Meyer, right? We want to win championships.

Mullen isn't anywhere near Saban. Remember: Saban's in the West, too. So compare Mullen to Saban. Does he measure up? Not even close.

Mullen isn't even near Les Miles, who was (until he was canned) the second-best coach in the SEC-West. Mullen had every opportunity for an eight-year period (2009 to 2016) to prove he was Miles' equal. Did he come close? No. Miles and Mullen, head-to-head, for 8 years = 7 wins for Les, 1 for Dan. On the broader stage, Miles = 7 10+ win seasons at LSU, with SEC and national titles. Mullen = 1 10-win season at Miss St, with no titles. Not even a trip to Atlanta.

Is Mullen even the third-best coach in the West? Maybe. His record is pretty comparable to Kevin Sumlin's, Hugh Freeze's or Gus Malzahn's. Call it a four-way draw between them.

"Oh, but it's so hard to recruit in Mississippi!" you reply. So? Over half of each Volunteers recruiting class comes from outside the state of Tennessee. The Tennessee football coach has to win at recruiting in Georgia...Florida...the Carolinas...up in Ohio...and throughout the country. More or less the same places the Miss St coach has to recruit. Just because Butch is incredibly successful at recruiting doesn't mean Dan Mullen gets a mulligan for being at a college where you have to go outside your state borders to do well.

No, Mullen's a good coach, but he's not our future. He's not the championship caliber we will be looking for if we pull the plug on Butch.

Last edited:
Butch is in year 5 and hasn't even beat a single West team. MSU might not beat Bama, but who does?

Not really a fair assessment...we only play one other west team other than Bama each year. We played Auburn during their NC year, Ole Miss when they were really good, A&M was ranked #6 when we played them last year. The only one I can think about that we flat out "shoulda" won is Arky - and that was just a bad matchup for us.

Every volnation thread has “Hire Mullen”posts so I thought it would be interesting to take an objective look at Mullen:

Mullen is 6-21 against top 25 teams. He’s never beaten Bama and never won the sec West. In fact, in 8 seasons at MSU, he’s only finished greater than 2nd in the SEC West one time, every other season has been 4th or worse... in 8 seasons he’s only had above .500 record in SEC play 1 time.

His best season and only season to achieve 10 wins was 2013 when they went 10-3 and lost in the Orange Bowl. That was in year, wait for it..... 6 at MSU

Year 1 record - 5-7 (3-5 SEC)
Year 2 - 9-4 (4-4 SEC)
Year 3- 7-6 (2-6 SEC)
Year 4- 8-5 (4-4 SEC)
Year 5- 7-6 (3-5 SEC)
Year 6- 10-3 (6-2 SEC)
Year 7 - 9-4 (4-4 SEC)
Year 8 - 6-7 (3-5 SEC)

An objective look at his numbers suggests Mullen and Butch are cut from the same cloth. Average 8-4 consistent coaches.

Bwahahahhahahahha

Not true. And I'd be willing to bet that Mullen's Miss State team this year would throttle Butch's Tennessee team. No doubt in my mind.

If Mullen and Miss State was our next game, Nicky Fitz would break bo jackson's super tecmo bowl record against us. He would run all over the defense that gave 250 rush yds to the gatech qb.

Mullen would coach Butch into an aneurysm.

So, Mullen is a great Qb coach... but he still has NOTHING to show for it if we’re using the same metrics were using to judge Butch, right? No sec West championships, never beat Bama.

1-2 in the last three games against their hated in state rival Ole Miss.

Ah, your logic makes the "experts" here crazy. I applaud your comments. :clapping:

VN Store

Back