Dan Mullen thread (merged)

That’s the usual comment made in his support, but if he can’t beat Bama in the West- how’s he going to beat them in the East?

He’s has a losing record against both Georgia and South Carolina while at MSU. If he can’t beat them in the West- hows he going to beat them in the East.

He’s even lost to KY....

There you go bursting their bubble.

Reactions: 1 person
So do you discredit the success of coaches in the ACC, Big 10, etc. because that is where they coach?

Maybe you should go back and read OP's original argument, and the subsequent discussion before...who am I kidding...you'd still trot out a strawman argument just the same.

Reactions: 5 people
I'd take Mullen over Jones.

I've heard both Doug Mathews and Tony Barnhart sing Mullens' praises and say he's the second best coach in the SEC behind Saban.

You'll find nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody who believes that Butch Jones is as good a football coach as Dan Mullen. Nobody.

I've heard both Doug Mathews and Tony Barnhart sing Mullens' praises and say he's the second best coach in the SEC behind Saban.

You'll find nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody who believes that Butch Jones is as good a football coach as Dan Mullen. Nobody.

Except a legion of know-nothings on this thread.

Reactions: 3 people

So that's what we want? To be second best? To be 2nd-best in the SEC (3rd-best if Miles were still coaching)? Maybe 10th- or 15th-best in the country?

To never win a championship, SEC or national?

That's our goal?

If so, heck yeah, let's go get Dan Mullen.

p.s. Gotta stop bringing Butch up. He is not the yardstick by which we should be measuring a future coach. Failed logic.

Last edited:
Look, I don't think we should fire Butch. But let's not act like MS state is the same as UT. No one WANTS to go there... What Mullen has done there with limited resources is impressive. I heard a stat for the GA vs MS st game that GA has around 50 4 and 5 stars compared to their 20.

Numbers don't lie, but neither does I-55.

I thought you all wanted a coach that could beat Bama and any other team that Tennessee would play from the west. Mullen is NOT that guy.

Yes he plays in the west but he sees these same teams every year - if he is the great coach some of you make him out to be he would be making progress against them.

Once again many given kudos to a coach for one thing while bashing YOUR team for the same thing.

This week has clearly identified the fair weather part of this fan base.

That’s the usual comment made in his support, but if he can’t beat Bama in the West- how’s he going to beat them in the East?

He’s has a losing record against both Georgia and South Carolina while at MSU. If he can’t beat them in the West- hows he going to beat them in the East.

He’s even lost to KY....

MSU talent vs UT talent. Starkville is a hard sell to kids.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe you should go back and read OP's original argument, and the subsequent discussion before...who am I kidding...you'd still trot out a strawman argument just the same.

I wasn't replying to the OP. I was replying to the Kentucky fan who was saying that where a coach coached mattered. Some consider the other divisions weak as well - yet some of those coaches are celebrated.

Mullen is 12-5 against SECe opponents, .705 win percentage.

Butch is 14-11 against SECe opponents, .56 win percentage.

Butch is 0-8 against SECw opponents.

I'm not a Butch apologist, but if Kentucky was our annual xover, we certainly wouldn't be 0-8 in xover games...and we'd have an extra win per year. Mississippi State rotational games for the past 5 years, in order have been:
SC, Missouri, Vandy, SC, UT...no UGA or UF. As we've seen on every page, stats can be massaged to look like however we want them to.

I was/am really PO'd about the loss, but does every thread have to be about fire the coach? BTW, just cause Mullen has won at MS better than anyone else, doesn't mean he is elite or will win here. If we're changing a coach, you better get someone with rock star personality to immediately raise the bar, and not another "3 year build".

So that's what we want? To be second best? To be 2nd-best in the SEC? Maybe 10th- or 15th-best in the country?

That's our goal?

p.s. Gotta stop bringing Butch up. He is not the yardstick by which we should be measuring a future coach. Failed logic.

Do what? Made a simple comment that the best coach in the SEC behind Nick Saban (you don't think we're hiring Nick Saban anytime soon do ya JP?) is widely believed to be Dan Mullen. OP is desperately trying to prove otherwise, that Mullen is no better than Jones, and it doesn't wash imo.

PS- I have zero aspirations as a fan of Tennessee of winning a national championship....just win the stupid, freaking awful SECe. And I believe that Mullen, who's clearly a much better coach than Butch Jones, would be far more likely to do so.

Well if Doug Mathews said it that changes things.

So that's what we want? To be second best? To be 2nd-best in the SEC (3rd-best if Miles were still coaching)? Maybe 10th- or 15th-best in the country?

That's our goal?

If you know of a coach that is better than Saban and would come to UT then I'd love to hear about him.

Dan Mullen is definitely overrated. If he's an upgrade over Butch, it's marginal

Basically this. We would be paying near 5 million a year for more or less the same. If you are going to be paying that kind of money, you have to get a proven winner.

MSU's East team every year is Kentucky as well. So, take his 7-8 win seasons, and his few SEC wins, and factor that in.

Last year he won 5 regular season games in his eighth year at MSU. He lost to South Alabama at home, and Kentucky and BYU on the road. The wins were bad South Carolina, TX A&M and Ole Miss teams, UMass, and Samford. They weren't even bowl eligible. They were given a pity bid and squeaked out a win against Miami of Ohio at the last minute.

Do what? Made a simple comment that the best coach in the SEC behind Nick Saban (you don't think we're hiring Nick Saban anytime soon do ya JP?) is widely believed to be Dan Mullen. OP is desperately trying to prove otherwise, that Mullen is no better than Jones, and it doesn't wash imo.

PS- I have zero aspirations as a fan of Tennessee of winning a national championship....just win the stupid, freaking awful SECe. And I believe that Mullen, who's clearly a much better coach than Butch Jones, would be far more likely to do so.

KB it's a lost cause. I've been apart of this board since 2011 and I've never seen the complete and utter idiocy that's being displayed on this thread by those claiming Mullen would be no better than Butch. It defies all logic.

Ah, so you were just weighing in on whether Mullen is better than Butch, KB? You didn't intend your comments to be part of the conversation about who we might consider as our next head coach? We actually agree that Mullen is not That Guy?

Then my apologies. I thought you were advocating Mullen to lead our program.

KB it's a lost cause. I've been apart of this board since 2011 and I've never seen the complete and utter idiocy that's being displayed on this thread by those claiming Mullen would be no better than Butch. It defies all logic.

KB was responding to me. And I've never said that Mullen is no better than Butch.

I've only said that Mullen is not what we're looking for next. "Better than Butch" is not our yardstick, that's too short.

Every volnation thread has “Hire Mullen”posts so I thought it would be interesting to take an objective look at Mullen:

Mullen is 6-21 against top 25 teams. He’s never beaten Bama and never won the sec West. In fact, in 8 seasons at MSU, he’s only finished greater than 2nd in the SEC West one time, every other season has been 4th or worse... in 8 seasons he’s only had above .500 record in SEC play 1 time.

His best season and only season to achieve 10 wins was 2013 when they went 10-3 and lost in the Orange Bowl. That was in year, wait for it..... 6 at MSU

Year 1 record - 5-7 (3-5 SEC)
Year 2 - 9-4 (4-4 SEC)
Year 3- 7-6 (2-6 SEC)
Year 4- 8-5 (4-4 SEC)
Year 5- 7-6 (3-5 SEC)
Year 6- 10-3 (6-2 SEC)
Year 7 - 9-4 (4-4 SEC)
Year 8 - 6-7 (3-5 SEC)

An objective look at his numbers suggests Mullen and Butch are cut from the same cloth. Average 8-4 consistent coaches.

I'm not a Mullen proponent but State is arguably the worst platform and most difficult job in the SEC along side UK.
UT is a top 10-15 program historically. There is no comparison.

It would be like judging Saban at Michigan State versus LSU and Bama.

What did Urban Meyer win at Utah?
What did Nick Saban win at Michigan state?
What did Bobby Bowden win at West Virginia?
What did Steve Spurrier win at Duke?

Wait, are you saying Mullen is of the same caliber of the above coaches?

lol

Again, the numbers don't lie.

2016-2017 TN - 24th Toughest Schedule
MSU - 50th

2015-2016 TN - 12th
MSU - 9th

2014- 2015 TN - 24th
MSU - 10th

2013-2014 TN - 33rd
MSU - 20th

2012-2013 TN - 32nd
MSU - 43rd

5 year Average - TN 25
MSU - 26

If we're going to use strength of schedule, Mullen should be equaling Butch's record.

If you think playing LSU, Auburn, A&M is weaker than playing Georgia, South Carolina, and Kentucky, you need your head checked out.

VN Store

Back