Could be the biggest underachieving team in UT history

Let's pour one out for the ones that got away: the 2006-2007 team who, if memory serves, lead Ohio St. and Greg Oden by 20 around halftime in the Sweet 16 and blew it in the second half and lost. And the Jerry Green team that had UNC on the ropes, leading by 7 or 8 (?) with 2-3 minutes left and blew it. (also Sweet 16. 2000?)
Purdue and that phantom 3 shot foul in the Sweet 16, Admiral and Grant's last year. MSU's Draymond going coast to coast on a missed Hopson FT to lose by one point in the Elite 8

Really? 56% win percentage is not "around" .500? Semantics now. I should be VERY specific with you... "I'd like to see a better conference record than 56.7 winning percentage. If you're satisfied with that... fine. Not all of us are.
It seems as though you have no understanding of the situation Barnes came into here or you you wouldn't continue with these silly claims that Barnes is an "average" coach. Stats are meaningless without detail. Thank goodness for you this is an anonymous message board

It seems as though you have no understanding of the situation Barnes came into here or you you wouldn't continue with these silly claims that Barnes is an "average" coach. Stats are meaningless without detail. Thank goodness for you this is an anonymous message board

Details? What details? The numbers are what they are. Stating factual evidence is a problem? You may not agree with my opinion, but I didn't make up the numbers. Barnes needs to thank God he had the opportunity to coach here. As we are paying him elite coach money for non-elite results.

Reactions: 08Vol
Let's pour one out for the ones that got away: the 2006-2007 team who, if memory serves, lead Ohio St. and Greg Oden by 20 around halftime in the Sweet 16 and blew it in the second half and lost. And the Jerry Green team that had UNC on the ropes, leading by 7 or 8 (?) with 2-3 minutes left and blew it. (also Sweet 16. 2000?)

That 06-07 one hurt the most. If we had beaten tOSU we would have played Memphis who we had already beat, Georgetown, then UF who we had beaten twice that year.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Seriously, the most underachieving team? In volunteer history? Give it a break we may never know but I'm sure there are more in the past I have been underachieving. Even Ernie and Bernie could be classified as an underachieving team

Details? What details? The numbers are what they are. Stating factual evidence is a problem? You may not agree with my opinion, but I didn't make up the numbers. Barnes needs to thank God he had the opportunity to coach here. As we are paying him elite coach money for non-elite results.
Factual evidence? LOL Barnes needs to thank God? UK threw everything including the kitchen sink at him 15 years ago and he turned them down. You're not nearly as informed as you believe. YOU should thank GOD for the 1st amendment

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Seriously, the most underachieving team? In volunteer history? Give it a break we may never know but I'm sure there are more in the past I have been underachieving. Even Ernie and Bernie could be classified as an underachieving team

Yep that loss in the tourney in first round to Syracuse led by Boheim rookie coach and Grunfeld s last year was disappointing.

Yep that loss in the tourney in first round to Syracuse led by Boheim rookie coach and Grunfeld s last year was disappointing.
It was also King's last year. Weird circumstances surrounding site of that game. We were the higher ranked team but played at a venue nearly in their backyard. In later years, we wouldn't have been at a disadvantage with seeding

1977 was the last year that NCAAT teams were not seeded.

King, Grunfeld, and Jackson all fouled out. Reggie had 4 fouls.

Bertelkamp was whistled for 3 fouls in 5 minutes. But he was most likely intentionally fouling at the end.

Syracuse’s least productive starter and 6th man fouled out.

King had 9 TOs, Grunfeld had 6.

I’d love to see the game video. King and Grunfeld with 15 TOs indicates that they were getting mugged by Boheim’s zone.

Tennessee vs. Syracuse Box Score, March 13, 1977 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

An easy route to the final four? Purdue was a great 3 seed and a bad match up for us and the team from that region that went to the final four ended up being the national champion (and Purdue gave them a game)

Dude, they were Purdue. I agree that tournament performance was very disappointed as well as the one where they lost to Loyola. That team beat Gonzaga and should have beaten Kansas (both teams far better than Purdue). For some reason, it regressed in March. If they were playing at the level they were playing November-January, they make the FF.

You want to talk about underachievement,

Look at Mike Green at Florida. They haven't beaten Florida State in basketball in a 100 seasons it seems like and year-in-year out they end up low seed and out of tourney by second weekend. I am surprised he is still there.

South Carolina hasn't done jack since FF run.

UK hasn't made a final four in 7 years despite all of the talent Calipari has. Heck, his first season had John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins and they lost in the EE. IMO, that was perhaps his most underachieving team. That team should have cut the nets down.

Arkansas, despite being a top 25 program, has not showed life in 20 years until this year. (Kind of reminds me of UT football).

Tom Cream hasn't done jack at Georgia. I am surprised UGA and Georgia Tech don't have better basketball teams since they have Atlanta to pull from.

Dude, they were Purdue. I agree that tournament performance was very disappointed as well as the one where they lost to Loyola. That team beat Gonzaga and should have beaten Kansas (both teams far better than Purdue). For some reason, it regressed in March. If they were playing at the level they were playing November-January, they make the FF.

WTF does that even mean? They were a #3 seed for a reason.

Reactions: Vol49er
It was also King's last year. Weird circumstances surrounding site of that game. We were the higher ranked team but played at a venue nearly in their backyard. In later years, we wouldn't have been at a disadvantage with seeding
We were Preseason #1 in both Football and BasketBall I do believe.....at least BB Sports Illustrated Cover to boot....

What does “they were Purdue” mean? Purdue has more Big 10 championships than every other school. Last time I checked they had winning head-to-head records against every other Big 10 school as well.

Reactions: Vol49er
WTF does that even mean? They were a #3 seed for a reason.

They were not loaded with talent and frankly Tennessee played and beat stronger opponents earlier in the year. This is why Purdue got stomped by Virginia in the next game. (Granted, I doubt Tennessee would have beaten Virginia either but then again Auburn gave Virginia fits).

IMO, Tennessee had more talent than Purdue and should have beaten them. We entered the tournament playing terrible. We barely got by 10 seed Iowa.

They were not loaded with talent and frankly Tennessee played and beat stronger opponents earlier in the year. This is why Purdue got stomped by Virginia in the next game. (Granted, I doubt Tennessee would have beaten Virginia either but then again Auburn gave Virginia fits).

IMO, Tennessee had more talent than Purdue and should have beaten them. We entered the tournament playing terrible. We barely got by 10 seed Iowa.
Dude what? They lost by 5 in overtime to the eventual national champion. They didn’t get stomped

VN Store

Back