Could be the biggest underachieving team in UT history

I think it’s up for debate. I think the reality is this team was overrated from before the season even started. Media picked UT to win SEC. They flat got it wrong. We’re not as talented as they made everyone believe we were. We have no size(no front court). Vescovi can’t cover anyone. And our offense is horrific. Outside of that, we’re not bad.

I don't think we're actually as good as we originally thought. Obviously the W-L v Pre-season ranking. But, remember, last year we were not even an NCAAT team, The addition of 2 stud FR + 1 transfer guard and loss of 2 seasoned SEC guards does not compute into elite status on paper. Maybe Top25, top20?
But with JJJ out recently, Fulky in a regression, and Pons in and out of injury, we are just not consistently good. Even when JJJ was live, we have a Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde consistency. Our vets have not made enough progression. Out FR are just that, so theyre up and down.
I got goo-goo eyed early at this team bc of the lockdown D, and figured w the FR progressing and vets stepping up a yr of maturity, and with possibly 10 deep on playing time ... that we could be special. Reality is the FR ARE getting it, vets as a whole average no real improvement, depth is not real (Ticket, Anosike, Pember non-factors), and D can be exposed to 3pt barrages etc.
We're just a slightly above avg SEC team it appears. When we decide to get in a funk, we got serious unity doing it!

Bruce Pearl squad that made it to final 8 should have been in final 4 and could have won it all. They were that good. That was an underachievement.

2018-2019 team that won 31 games was and underachievement to lose like they did in the dance. They actually had a pretty easy route to the final 4 and bombed...

Jerry Green's team were very underachieving. He had lots of talent and did squat....

Bruce Pearl squad that made it to final 8 should have been in final 4 and could have won it all. They were that good. That was an underachievement.

Team with

I thought that that EE team overachieved a bit. The 31-5 team that was bounced by Louisville by 19 in the Sweet 16 is what I consider to be his most underachieving, or at least most disappointing, team.

I thought that that EE team overachieved a bit. The 31-5 team that was bounced by Louisville by 19 in the Sweet 16 is what I consider to be his most underachieving, or at least most disappointing, team.

Yeah, that team had no business losing to Louisville the way they did.

One of Pearl’s biggest disappointments during his time here.

Reactions: 08Vol
Pearl was close, very close to building something very special at UT. Everyone knew it and no one liked it (except us).

The big traditional schools hated the success he was having here and the fix was in. He fell for the okie doke, the setup. Yes, he lied. But that was the excuse to derail him like they wanted to do. It was a slap on the wrist had he not lied and should have only been a very minor probation for the situation and UT should have stood with him.....

Pearl was close, very close to building something very special at UT. Everyone knew it and no one liked it (except us).

The big traditional schools hated the success he was having here and the fix was in. He fell for the okie doke, the setup. Yes, he lied. But that was the excuse to derail him like they wanted to do. It was a slap on the wrist had he not lied and should have only been a very minor probation for the situation and UT should have stood with him.....

You’re not telling the full story...

Not only did he lie to the NCAA, he told recruits and parents to lie over the barbecue. Then had the nerve to lie to his employer.

After that, I don’t blame the University for not trusting the guy.

I think that his biggest lies were told to his bosses at UT rather than the NCAA. He lied about failed drug tests by players. He needed to go. Flawed character and the run wasn’t sustainable with his leadership. It was fun. I’m glad he’s gone.

I think it was unfair to have them ranked so high preseason and throughout the year. This team is overrated and in my opinion has overachieved......
How can you say this team has overachieved? Two returning All SEC players , the SEC Defensive POY, a 5* Sophomore, and two 5* Freshmen? Overachieving? No way....

Trying our best to play ourselves out of at least a four seed. We could have easily been a three and that appears to be gone. Team can be one of the poorest shooting teams ever in certain games. We have no inside game. Very inconsistent team never know what you are going to get.

This team is done I think, too many bad trends that have festered. I anticipate that they will win maybe 3 more games this season including tournament games. They wont go far in SEC tourney and they would be a first weekend out in the NCAA. So much talent, but no development. I am also tired of seeing every UT team that plays on CBS get their asses handed to them.

Based on our talent and with a NCAA early tourney exit no doubt.
Think it's too early. Covid impacting everyone. We're not used to operating like Kentucky w/ One/done talent, where, in theory, around tourney time, things start to gel. Our inconsistency, for sure is an issue. One day we're drilling KY/Kansas...the next we're losing to Ole Miss. I like when we started really pushing the pace up the floor, but as our offense has picked up some, our D has fallen off...then when our offense isn't clicking, our D isn't there. Need to make sure we solve the high court trap...teams have figured out it is the best path to slow us down...our turnovers in trap game are bad.

Reactions: savannahfan
It's hard to believe so many OTB haven't gotten used to Barnes' MO by now. His record in Feb/March aint too hot. It's been 7 years now.

Reactions: 08Vol
Bruce Pearl’s 2010-2011 team were also big underachievers
Barely made the tournament with two McDonald’s all Americans, one of whom now starts for a team that could make the NBA Finals this year. Then proceeded to get drubbed by 30 points in the first round. In before the Pearl worshippers jump in with the excuse about his job security (which also was his fault).

Like I said perhaps it will provide energy and momentum and hustle going forward what I have said but it reminds me when the Braves had 3-4 of best pitchers ever and couldn’t turn the corner well they won it all one year but seriously .

You, like 98% of our lust-blinded fan base who pines for the days of Bruce, are wholly uneducated on the particulars of the rule(s) he broke, his history with those very particular rules, and how the NCAA handles repeat offenders.

Last edited:
If the 214 team Cuonzo coached made the sweet 16, this team could too. That team was en feugo heading into the tourney, but barely made it in.

Maymon and Stokes 🔥

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back