Could be the biggest underachieving team in UT history

This team has underperformed from our really high expectations, but I l'm not sure we would have been viewed as high if we knew the condition Fulky was in.

We thought we were getting a first team all SEC performer coming back. He obviously has not been 100% and though he is trying hard to overcome, we have no inside presence.

Also, half the games we lost, we were not at 100%. We've missed JJJ last game, and Springer for 2 of our earlier ones. If we have everyone available, even with an underperforming Fulky, we are still a top 15-20 team.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
Exactly. When he plays the tougher teams, his record is barely. 500. Not exactly HOF worthy. Like I said, he's an average coach that will give us average results. And that's fine with most Vol fans.
Maybe an above average coach - just not elite. But to be fair, he will have us in the Dance every year (never elite 8, though), and we are lucky to land him after the Donnie T fiasco.

They’re 16-6

The last NCAA tournament bound team in conference they’ve beat was Missouri in game 1. Yes they beat Kansas, probably the best game they played this year, but Kansas is significantly better today than they were a month ago.

They seem uninterested to me. Vandy put a JV team on the floor last night. It wasn’t as impressive as the final score made it appear.

But most of the losses were horrendous. Reminds me of the 2002 football team - winning record, but mostly against chumps (sans Mizzou).

You just touted Pearl, so you need to go back and check the Elite 8 team and what they did in the regular season. They finished 23-7, and yeah they beat #1 Kansas in early January but they also dropped some duds like losing by 20 to a 16-14 Southern Cal team. And go back and check out they exited the SECT that year.

I'm not saying this team goes to the Elite 8, but I'm pretty sure you would have been saying the same thing about the 2010 team based on their regular season and SECT.

You just touted Pearl, so you need to go back and check the Elite 8 team and what they did in the regular season. They finished 23-7, and yeah they beat #1 Kansas in early January but they also dropped some duds like losing by 20 to a 16-14 Southern Cal team. And go back and check out they exited the SECT that year.

I'm not saying this team goes to the Elite 8, but I'm pretty sure you would have been saying the same thing about the 2010 team based on their regular season and SECT.
Didn't that team make the finals of SECT, that year, and get pummeled by UK?

The last NCAA tournament bound team in conference they’ve beat was Missouri in game 1. Yes they beat Kansas, probably the best game they played this year, but Kansas is significantly better today than they were a month ago.

They seem uninterested to me. Vandy put a JV team on the floor last night. It wasn’t as impressive as the final score made it appear.

We also haven’t played that many tourney teams in recent games...not sure why people want to dismiss a seasons body of work, it’s not a 2 week season, or even 4 week season. They won last night, they are 16-6 and a projected 4/5 seed today.

I had expected more from the older players. It seems they have been relying on the Freshmen to carry the team when they are the ones who should have stepped up their game. No one has stepped up as a point guard. this will be our biggest problem in tournament play. In addition, a lot of teams are hitting about 50% of their threes against us. We have a lot of thing to fix if we are going to advance very far in the NCAA.

Reactions: Hbg
Right now this team is burnt out or has lost their confidence. If Springer and Bailey have off nights , How do they win ? They simply do not have enough reliable scoring.. After the first seven all they have on the bench are team cheerleaders who do not produce.
No inside presence.... result poor game against Vanderbilt who had 3 starters out 47 percent of their scoring and still Tennessee with about 4 minutes left led only by 4 points. By the way Fulkerson scored 4 points, Vescovi scored 3, James 2.

Right now this team is burnt out or has lost their confidence. If Springer and Bailey have off nights , How do they win ? They simply do not have enough reliable scoring.. After the first seven all they have on the bench are team cheerleaders who do not produce.
No inside presence.... result poor game against Vanderbilt who had 3 starters out 47 percent of their scoring and still Tennessee with about 4 minutes left led only by 4 points. By the way Fulkerson scored 4 points, Vescovi scored 3, James 2.

They win because they are still buying in to busting their tails on the defensive end.

Strange how that works.

It makes me chuckle; people point to "Pearl won/made the NCAAT every year"....yes, but what most people remember is regular season success. Beat #1 Memphis? Regular season. Beat #1 Kansas? Regular season. Won the SEC Championship...a regular season championship. All good things but....most of his NCAAT teams underachieved. Yes he made an Elite 8, but the fact that we celebrate it so much says way more about how bad our basketball poststeason success has been than anything else. At most good basketball schools, Elite 8s are good but not exactly over-celebrated. And people complain about the SECT, Pearl didn't do that great there either. His best team got beat in the SECT Semis and the best shot in my lifetime of winning the SECT we simply choked against Miss St. Seriously go back and watch the end of that game and the keystone cops crap we go through.

And now we're saying FF or bust with Barnes. It's quite silly. It's fine to criticize him and goodness knows there are legit criticisms of him especially this year, but this nostalgia for Pearl is based on cherry picked and orange-colored glasses memories.

They don't seem uninterested to me but they just don't seem to be functionally able to score against a good defensive team. It's getting worse instead of better and that's on the staff. Even a good coach pushes the wrong buttons sometimes. There is still time to at least work some of this out.

They win because they are still buying in to busting their tails on the defensive end.

Well, last night wasnt a fair barometer of the defense considering Vandy had their 2 best players out. Pippen would have been difficult to stay in front of by any of UT guards and their big guy would have been a force. Now, on the other hand, they probably wouldnt have hit 12 or 13 3s either but they'd shot alot more FTs.

Didn't that team make the finals of SECT, that year, and get pummeled by UK?

Semis, and lost by almost 30 to UK.

I was here and around when that happened and I can tell you going into that postseason the grumbling against Pearl and his inability to get the team going in the postseason was very, very strong. There were not very many who thought an Elite 8 was going to happen.

Well, last night wasnt a fair barometer of the defense considering Vandy had their 2 best players out. Pippen would have been difficult to stay in front of by any of UT guards and their big guy would have been a force. Now, on the other hand, they probably wouldnt have hit 12 or 13 3s either but they'd shot alot more FTs.

Yet TN beat Vandy WITH Pippen and Disu by 20.

Semis, and lost by almost 30 to UK.

I was here and around when that happened and I can tell you going into that postseason the grumbling against Pearl and his inability to get the team going in the postseason was very, very strong. There were not very many who thought an Elite 8 was going to happen.
That’s right. I was thinking it was the Finals.

This team at their best is probably the best team in recent memory. This team just consistently bring their best game. It all comes down to offense. Only one team has even scored 80 points on us this year, and that was a game we won (and we up 20 or more). If we play like we did in the Kansas game, or the South Carolina game, or the first Missouri game, then there aren't many teams that can beat us. If we play like the Ole Miss game or Florida, or LSU, then it's a first or second round exit.

Not quite the pivotal game I was referring to. Half of Vandy’s starters were out kind of having to fight our way through it wasn’t impressive but I’ll take the win for what it’s worth.

I thought that that EE team overachieved a bit. The 31-5 team that was bounced by Louisville by 19 in the Sweet 16 is what I consider to be his most underachieving, or at least most disappointing, team.

Let's pour one out for the ones that got away: the 2006-2007 team who, if memory serves, lead Ohio St. and Greg Oden by 20 around halftime in the Sweet 16 and blew it in the second half and lost. And the Jerry Green team that had UNC on the ropes, leading by 7 or 8 (?) with 2-3 minutes left and blew it. (also Sweet 16. 2000?)

VN Store

Back