Corey Walker should have helped this year, will he next year?

When I was thinking about it late last night, I had ORN and Pember both leaving this off season. If they don't have to then I agree it might not be great but it's fine
Pember has to go. Major reach taking him. ON just hasn’t developed. He had all the physical tools. Very passive player though.

Would like ORN to stay, I think all the tools are there and it seems he works hard based on Barnes previous comments. Doesn’t seem like it’s quite clicked for him yet and he gets a bit lost on defense. I’m expecting a big jump from him over each of the next two years.

Reactions: SlyStone
If next years team is a guard oriented team if they don't have BIGS Rebounding and Rim Protecting they will likely struggle again.

Reactions: walkenvol
Would like ORN to stay, I think all the tools are there and it seems he works hard based on Barnes previous comments. Doesn’t seem like it’s quite clicked for him yet and he gets a bit lost on defense. I’m expecting a big jump from him over each of the next two years.
He is the only one on that bench that might show a significant change in his game.

Why do you think he’s on the team to begin with. Barnes knows what talent is and knew Pember would probably never be a contributor. What AAU team did Pember play for? Got to open that pipeline somehow.
Surely there is a better way to recruit than to waste scholarships on players who will never play

121 minutes a year ago and 28 minutes this past year. It seems like he was one that was afflicted with the COVID. He could add a lot of weight this off season if it’s behind him. He has 3 years left.

But it was not just mop up minutes. Barnes must not think that he’s hopeless like so many posters do.
9d1e37914b558bb7f01c73489fbdfb4f.gif

I think Walker could potentially carve out some minutes for himself next season if he focuses on defense and rebounding and develops a back to the basket post up game.

That would be a stupid move getting rid of Pember.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just haven't seen anything to suggest Pember can play at this level. In his limited playing time, he strikes me as a guy who would be better suited to transfer to Lenoir Rhyne or another school at that level if he really wants to play a lot of minutes. Too thin to play post. Too slow to play on the perimeter.

Maybe he can add a little weight, but I'm doubtful it would be enough to make a difference. I think Barnes would be wise to help Pember find a landing spot and replace him with a transfer.

There might be 20-25 minutes/game to give to the 6 at the end of the bench. It’s pretty good recruiting to put guys in some of those spots that will work hard to earn minutes a year or two out while not being a cancer in the locker room as they wait.

I think Walker could potentially carve out some minutes for himself next season if he focuses on defense and rebounding and develops a back to the basket post up game.
Walker should of played this year and has skills on the offensive side, he just has to get out of Barnes doghouse. Which probably means, get in better shape and play better defense

I really don't see Pember transferring at all. He was born here, grew up a fan. Plus he has as much of a chance at earning playing time as anyone else left in the front court next year. Not particularly stacked there. Gaines might transfer, but once again I don't know. This is the highest level he'll be able to play on, but if he wants more playing time then a move would make sense. Uros is staying, as he seems to love it here. Nkamhou looks like he's in line for a fairly significant role next year, so I think he stays, but I get it if he leaves.

VN Store

Back