Corey Walker should have helped this year, will he next year?

Rob Lewis on Volquest that has some in's with the staff hinted that Walker is not Barnes favorite player and didn't think he was a great fit with this team. Usually that is code for "he won't be here next year". Pretty obvious Barnes had some issue with him because he never even attempted to play him and I don't think he was on the bench for a few games.
I an curious that Lewis would have in's with anybody on the staff, he has been critical in every review whether we win or loose. He's is my least favorite on Volquest

I assume you mean frontcourt instead of backcourt. It is going to hurt if he leaves and has a Charles Matthews type career elsewhere. Barnes was stubborn in not playing him, and apparently Walker was stubborn in not getting himself ready and proving himself to the staff. Barnes and Co. surely knew what kind of kid they were getting, so I have to question taking a kid you don't think can fall in line. Just an odd situation. Feels like DJ Burns all over again.
Was thinking same thing. I understand culture and all, but though Burns was clearly limited in his PT against Nova b/c of his conditioning, he was a force. Could have used him. Another guy...Quinerly, who bolted Nova b/c of culture fit, goes to Bama and lights it up. Really need Walker presence next year I think. We're not going anywhere far unless we get some sort of presence in the post. Small ball works best if you've got 3-4 guys who can light it up from 3 range.

We have challenges with Walkers.
I have often wondered if Derrick was still here if his size could have helped this year

What's disappointing is that he kept the ones that couldn't help and let go the ones who could have made a difference. Is it that he's just not that good at talent evaluation or that he's just not going to tolerate kids who don't see things his way and conform? Collegiate sports isn't a cookie cutter business. You've got to be able to assimilate various personalities and relate to them all. Just can't see this notion of "his way or the highway" being successful.

Don't think it's personality; it's work ethic. He doesn't give the time of day to guys who don't work as hard as the others, and there were apparent drug violations with both Derrick Walker and Burns. The ones who stayed, while less talented, at least put the work in.

Don't think it's personality; it's work ethic. He doesn't give the time of day to guys who don't work as hard as the others, and there were apparent drug violations with both Derrick Walker and Burns. The ones who stayed, while less talented, at least put the work in.
This is widely known which makes you wonder why anyone who didn’t have a super strong work ethic would sign with CRB

Reactions: germanicus
Rob Lewis on Volquest that has some in's with the staff hinted that Walker is not Barnes favorite player and didn't think he was a great fit with this team. Usually that is code for "he won't be here next year". Pretty obvious Barnes had some issue with him because he never even attempted to play him and I don't think he was on the bench for a few games.
Seems to be a recurring theme each year with Barnes and at least one player HE recruited. This has definitely been one of the major issues with his poor roster management. I think we could have used 6’i” 275lb. DJ Burns this year who transferred to Winthrop because he didn’t fit Barnes system, even though Barnes recruited him.

Seems to be a recurring theme each year with Barnes and at least one player HE recruited. This has definitely been one of the major issues with his poor roster management. I think we could have used 6’i” 275lb. DJ Burns this year who transferred to Winthrop because he didn’t fit Barnes system, even though Barnes recruited him.

Didn't have anything to do with "fitting a system."

It had absolutely nothing to do with his “system”.

Burns failed a drug a test then came back 12 pounds overweight.

He violated team rules.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Seriously, why just make stuff up? There are plenty of reasons to criticize Barnes (we all know that's your thing) without making stuff up. Just stick to what you know if you're hellbent on railing on him. This year, especially, he's given up plenty of ammunition.

Seriously, why just make stuff up? There are plenty of reasons to criticize Barnes (we all know that's your thing) without making stuff up. Just stick to what you know if you're hellbent on railing on him. This year, especially, he's given up plenty of ammunition.
Yep, like maybe Barnes has whiffed on several post players in his 6 seasons here which is one reason we are in the shape we are in with no front court

It’s up to him, the staff will welcome him back but that’s going to require some changes and commitments on his part.

Not trying to put words into your mouth but that sounds like he didn’t make those changes yet?
if that’s correct that’s not good at all

was he with the team in Indy?

Yep, like maybe Barnes has whiffed on several post players in his 6 seasons here which is one reason we are in the shape we are in with no front court
Are you going to address why you made stuff up in your post? Or is that just par for the course with the majority of your comments that have no basis in reality

It had absolutely nothing to do with his “system”.

Burns failed a drug a test then came back 12 pounds overweight.

He violated team rules.

I darn sure don’t want to defend the op but Barnes does seem to be recruiting a number of post players that “don’t fit his system”. They are slow of foot, need to gain athleticism and need to drop weight. Kent, Burns, uros, and walker all fit that criteria. Grant williams did as well but we all know he changed his body to “fit the system”

Reactions: 1985Vols
I darn sure don’t want to defend the op but Barnes does seem to be recruiting a number of post players that “don’t fit his system”. They are slow of foot, need to gain athleticism and need to drop weight. Kent, Burns, uros, and walker all fit that criteria. Grant williams did as well but we all know he changed his body to “fit the system”

That system would be called playing high level D1 college basketball. Not high school anymore. You can recruit a guy who has the talent but needs to get in shape or get the body ready for that level. Happens in football all of the time.

It’s a fair argument that Barnes whiffed on several players but Burns had nothing to do with the system like you originally said in your previous post.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

VN Store

Back