Corey Walker should have helped this year, will he next year?

iKrager

Corey Walker was supposed to be HUGE for our back court, but apparently couldn’t get in shape to get PT. He was supposed to help Fulkerson tremendously, but didn’t.

Will he transfer or will he stay?

I can't figure out the Walker situation at all. I'd probably seek greener pastures if I were him. I can't fathom any reasonable excuse that would keep him here if he somehow behaved so badly he couldn't get any playing time on a team that had no quality depth at all due to the baffling lack of development into a reliable player of any of the sophomores.

Corey Walker was supposed to be HUGE for our back court, but apparently couldn’t get in shape to get PT. He was supposed to help Fulkerson tremendously, but didn’t.

Will he transfer or will he stay?
I assume you mean frontcourt instead of backcourt. It is going to hurt if he leaves and has a Charles Matthews type career elsewhere. Barnes was stubborn in not playing him, and apparently Walker was stubborn in not getting himself ready and proving himself to the staff. Barnes and Co. surely knew what kind of kid they were getting, so I have to question taking a kid you don't think can fall in line. Just an odd situation. Feels like DJ Burns all over again.

I can't figure out the Walker situation at all. I'd probably seek greener pastures if I were him. I can't fathom any reasonable excuse that would keep him here if he somehow behaved so badly he couldn't get any playing time on a team that had no quality depth at all due to the baffling lack of development into a reliable player of any of the sophomores.
come on he had a foot issue

We don't really know anything about why he was held out. As far as some of the "greener pastures" comments are concerned? Walker should have a great chance to play next year and with a talented point guard if he sticks around. I bet he does.

I assume you mean frontcourt instead of backcourt. It is going to hurt if he leaves and has a Charles Matthews type career elsewhere. Barnes was stubborn in not playing him, and apparently Walker was stubborn in not getting himself ready and proving himself to the staff. Barnes and Co. surely knew what kind of kid they were getting, so I have to question taking a kid you don't think can fall in line. Just an odd situation. Feels like DJ Burns all over again.

I was thinking the same thing. It's looking like a big swing and a miss but I guess we'll see.

About as much chance of him being at UT next year as Barnes turning to a zone defense. Speaking of which, man that 'Cuse zone looks tough. Really wish we could have more than one tool the the damned box.

Reactions: Volfan1000
About as much chance of him being at UT next year as Barnes turning to a zone defense. Speaking of which, man that 'Cuse zone looks tough. Really wish we could have more than one tool the the damned box.
Oh, really? What is that based on? I doubt you know more about Walker than the rest of us... but still speak as an authority on the matter. Now that's the Volnation way.

Reactions: Action_1505
Oh, really? What is that based on? I doubt you know more about Walker than the rest of us... but still speak as an authority on the matter. Now that's the Volnation way.
Rob Lewis on Volquest that has some in's with the staff hinted that Walker is not Barnes favorite player and didn't think he was a great fit with this team. Usually that is code for "he won't be here next year". Pretty obvious Barnes had some issue with him because he never even attempted to play him and I don't think he was on the bench for a few games.

They look good right now. Lots of good shooters. We've got to improve that in our roster

Rob Lewis on Volquest that has some in's with the staff hinted that Walker is not Barnes favorite player and didn't think he was a great fit with this team. Usually that is code for "he won't be here next year". Pretty obvious Barnes had some issue with him because he never even attempted to play him and I don't think he was on the bench for a few games.
With D. J. Burns and Corey Walker washing out without playing a minute two years in a row, I am not going to count on Brandon Huntley-Hatfield playing until he's on the floor in a game. If BHH gets in Barnes' doghouse early, I'd expect him to pull the ripcord by Christmas instead of waiting around a season. For good or bad, Barnes can't afford to have this happen with a top post prospect three years in a row.

With D. J. Burns and Corey Walker washing out without playing a minute two years in a row, I am not going to count on Brandon Huntley-Hatfield playing until he's on the floor in a game. If BHH gets in Barnes' doghouse early, I'd expect him to pull the ripcord by Christmas instead of waiting around a season. For good or bad, Barnes can't afford to have this happen with a top post prospect three years in a row.
The Burns miss really hampered this team the last two years.

Apparently the personal issues with Huntley-Hatfield were false.

Of course, UK fans said Calipari moved on from him but I don’t think they’re telling the whole story.

The Burns miss really hampered this team the last two years.
What's disappointing is that he kept the ones that couldn't help and let go the ones who could have made a difference. Is it that he's just not that good at talent evaluation or that he's just not going to tolerate kids who don't see things his way and conform? Collegiate sports isn't a cookie cutter business. You've got to be able to assimilate various personalities and relate to them all. Just can't see this notion of "his way or the highway" being successful.

Plavsic already having transferred has me leaning he stays...but I do think Pember, Walker and potentially Gaines all could be gone.
Yeah, Plav's little late season resurgence makes me think he is sticking around. Pember is almost definitely gone, Walker sounds like he's taking the Burns path, and Gaines is just never going to do much here. Jalen Johnson is his ceiling, and that is probably a lofty goal. Good defender, but zero offensive ability.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Yeah, Plav's little late season resurgence makes me think he is sticking around. Pember is almost definitely gone, Walker sounds like he's taking the Burns path, and Gaines is just never going to do much here. Jalen Johnson is his ceiling, and that is probably a lofty goal. Good defender, but zero offensive ability.
If those 3 transfer we have room to take 6...Chandler, Mashack, BHH, Tamba and 2 transfers.

VN Store

Back