Commodity shortages

Pete Buttigieg says the Baby Formula Shortage has Hit Him Directly because he and Husband Chasten have had to 'root around' to find it for their nine-month-old twins

Pete Buttigieg said the baby formula shortage is affecting him and his husband Chasten as they have had to 'root around' and talk to friends out of state to get food for their nine-month old twins.

The transportation secretary said their twins - Penelope Rose and Joseph August Buttigieg - are 'completely reliant' on formula.

Pete Buttigieg says the baby formula shortage has hit him, Chasten and twins | Daily Mail Online

Penelope? And dont tell me little Joe is for Puddinhead.

I hope not but I think youre correct. Ive been looking at switching jobs, but my family has talked me out of it twice already. What I do now is relatively safe and they want me to wait 2 years for this clown show to get out of office ;because, none of us trust him as far as we can throw him. We are all kinda predicting that this winter is gonna be rough.
Just my two cents... I would hold tight where I'm at/duck and cover.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
It will spell doom for democrats in the midterms. No way they recover from a mass layoff.
Well two things.
1. Who counts the votes?
2. WTF will the GOP do to screw things up even if they do win?

I don't know if these Dems pizz me off more than these useless azz Republicans.

Reactions: AM64
Well two things.
1. Who counts the votes?
2. WTF will the GOP do to screw things up even if they do win?

I don't know if these Dems pizz me off more than these useless azz Republicans.
Don't disagree. I said before it will be difficult for Republicans to win another election with the dems having their "system" in place. Another round of mail in voting with no accountability and its probably too much to overcome.

It's pick your poison with both parties. I sure as hell ain't picking the rat poison the democrats are serving up.

Gut feeling is we're going to see massive layoffs in a lot of sectors by this fall. Especially if the rumors of diesel shortages are true.
Something has to give. We have plenty to do and contract orders to fill but if product isn’t leaving the dock then payments won’t be made. First big profit miss and people will get furloughed. They will try and say “don’t worry this is temporary until we can get mfg flowing again” but it isn’t going to work like that. It’s going to have to grind to a halt and reset before it gets turned back on. Yay just in time manufacturing!

Yikes! This hasn’t gotten any better?
Fabs were shut down. You have to literally grow the wafers which isn’t a trivial amount of time. It isn’t two years but I believe it was a couple of months to just grow the raw wafers for the custom parts we had in the last design review I was in that went over some custom silicone. And Mother Nature will not be rushed.

Then you fill orders by customer priority. I can see customers with little leverage being way out like that.

Something has to give. We have plenty to do and contract orders to fill but if product isn’t leaving the dock then payments won’t be made. First big profit miss and people will get furloughed. They will try and say “don’t worry this is temporary until we can get mfg flowing again” but it isn’t going to work like that. It’s going to have to grind to a halt and reset before it gets turned back on. Yay just in time manufacturing!

Just in time logistics and globalization ... what could possibly go wrong. The thing is that business leaders don't ask the right questions. They see the positive, and never ask "why won't this work?" And they don't like people who tell them their strategies and ideas are screwed up. It's the gung ho, type A race to oblivion.

We should hope it is only a recession.

Yup. I have a bad feeling that Things are going to get bad later this summer. More bare shelves. More people cutting back. The terrifying thing is the prospect of smaller harvests world wide because of the cost and availability of fertilizer. That would run into next year at least if it gets bad.

Two Children Hospitalized During Formula Shortage

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WREG)– The formula shortage has caused two Mid-South children to be treated at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital.

For many Memphis parents and pediatricians, the baby formula shortage is now being called a health crisis.

“Right now I can tell you there are two that we have who are here. We have kids that are maybe doing okay,” said Dr. Mark Corkins, a pediatric gastroenterologist at Le Bonheur.

The two children have intestinal conditions.

“We’re supporting them with I.V. fluids and I.V. nutrition, which is not ideal. Really you want to use their bile. If they have bile intestines. You want to use the intestine. this is frustrating because we know that there’s a better way,” Corkins said.

Many fear the formula shortage could be harmful to a baby’s physical and mental growth.

Two children hospitalized during formula shortage

Regulatory Capture is Milking the Baby Formula Market

The great baby milk drought of 2022 is a man-made disaster, a perfect storm of regulatory and policy failure. There is, however, a simple formula for restoring a steady flow of the white stuff. First, the Biden administration should immediately suspend the tariffs and restrictions that block imports from the European Union and Canada, whose safety and quality standards exceed the FDA’s. Next, the administration should break up the government-sponsored monopoly that caused the drought in the first place.

President Joe Biden cannot blame the Russians for this one. Three multinational corporations dominate the $4 billion market in infant formula, and federal policies keep it that way. According to GlobalData, in 2020, Abbott Laboratories had 28.5% of the market, Gerber had 28%, and Reckitt had 25.9%. Their biggest customer is the Department of Agriculture’s Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children.

Regulatory capture is milking the baby formula market

I don’t know if this has already been posted or not , but Pilot/ Flying J CEO testimony from The STBH in April ( 26-27th) was very interesting . He testified that the Union Pacific RR ( their supplier ) requested/ required them to scale back their orders of diesel fuel by 50% or face embargo. I’m trying to find the video of just him testifying without the whole 10 hour meeting .

Reactions: Smokey X
I don’t know if this has already been posted or not , but Pilot/ Flying J CEO testimony from The STBH in April ( 26-27th) was very interesting . He testified that the Union Pacific RR ( their supplier ) requested/ required them to scale back their orders of diesel fuel by 50% or face embargo. I’m trying to find the video of just him testifying without the whole 10 hour meeting .

not what you were referring to but in a similar vein.

Reuters Power Up Newsletter

VN Store

Back