Commodity shortages

The question was do you think Volcker gets all of the credit for the economy turning around?

You can say Carter doesn't get credit for appointing him, but 95% of the people on this board would be singing Reagan's praises if he were the one who appointed him.
Carter’s problem were all the other clowns he surrounded himself with

The same pains we had this time last year will have to be unwound. Toilet paper was short because so much was manufactured for commercial use. That will have to reverse. Food that has been reworked for the domestic pipeline must be reworked for restaurants and other venues. All these little quirks are laid bare in a JIT system. I don't see us really moving away from that. I think our biggest problem is going to be finding the truckers to haul all this stuff. Our production capabilities are fine, our abilities to get that product from A to B are in trouble. With the semiconductor shortage the vehicle situation isn't going to get any better.
Watch for emergency approval of driverless trucks....

Carter’s problem were all the other clowns he surrounded himself with

His biggest problem was he inherited a disaster. His second biggest problem was he made some glaringly bad short run mistakes. He made amazing long run choices for the economy but he doesn't get the credit because he wasn't in office when they paid off.

Reactions: midnight orange
We were at sonic today and their digital screen says “you may not be able to order some items because of a nation wide supply issue” .
Sounds very similar to the reason FedEx gave me today for not being able to explain why only 3 out of 4 packages that were sent together to France made it to the customer and the 4th which was the master might take another week even though they all supposedly cleared customs last Saturday. “We can’t initiate an investigation on that right now because of system wide issues. Try calling back in a couple hours.”

Carter had little to do with his economy and a lot to do with the boom in the 80's. He's unfairly maligned. I have no hope for Biden to be the great deregulator that Carter was, but he will probably be unfairly maligned for this shaky economy. Trump intervenes in the market and disrupts supply chains with tariffs in his failed trade wars and then we have a pandemic, and here we are now with supply chain problems. This isn't on Biden.
Carter had a lot to do with the economy of the 80’s???😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 It was Reagan’s tax cuts that boomed the 80’s, just like Trumps tax cuts boomed our economy the last four years. Carter’s economy sucked.

Sounds very similar to the reason FedEx gave me today for not being able to explain why only 3 out of 4 packages that were sent together to France made it to the customer and the 4th which was the master might take another week even though they all supposedly cleared customs last Saturday. “We can’t initiate an investigation on that right now because of system wide issues. Try calling back in a couple hours.”

Oh that doesn’t sound good at all , I’m sorry . Hope it makes it there .

Reactions: RavinDave
Oh that doesn’t sound good at all , I’m sorry . Hope it makes it there .
Thanks Reb. It’s an opportunity to add another long term customer who is an OEM for lab isolation systems. It was a small test quantity, might have to send it again.

Thanks Reb. It’s an opportunity to add another long term customer who is an OEM for lab isolation systems. It was a small test quantity, might have to send it again.

Hopefully they understand that it’s out of your control , I think most people would .

Reactions: RavinDave
Hopefully they understand that it’s out of your control , I think most people would .
I sent them a copy of the FedEx tracking readout today. Fingers crossed FedEx hasn’t lost or destroyed that little drum. But I don’t think the customer will blame me and i expect we can still get them on board.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
I sent them a copy of the FedEx tracking readout today. Fingers crossed FedEx hasn’t lost or destroyed that little drum. But I don’t think the customer will blame me and i expect we can still get them on board.

Im
Staring to believe in conspiracy theories . Nurse had her debit card numbers high jacked two weeks ago so we stopped that card and ordered another one from Navy Federal , still hasn’t shown up so we called and got another one started . These get delivered by Fed Ex. My daughter can order three beach chairs , made in China , from Amazon and there will be at least two Amazon prime trucks show up in the next 4 days at the door . Lol

Reactions: AM64
No there isn’t supply problems with meat and chicken. You can believe what you want though.
Trust me as someone who’s restaurants (Dairy Queen) sale a ton of chicken strips, there absolutely have been and still are supply issues. In fact IDQ, corporate Dairy Queen, put a cap on how much chicken each store is allowed to order for every supply truck. They also ended the chicken and biscuits basket promotion weeks early because of the shortage.

Reactions: McDad
Decent?
plagarizing? Purposefully lying about the death of his wife for political reasons? Sexual harassment? He’s not a “decent” person and neither is Trump.
You can replace decent with a lot of words for those two. Smart also comes to mind

Isaid it
One has to wonder if this trend continues if Biden/Harris will become Jimmy Carter 2.0., especially if the GOP has someone like DeSantis running.
I said it when he was "elected", he will be the reincarnation of Jimmy Carter as President. The difference is that Carter was basically a good man who was a terrible president. Biden is a waste of human skin who will be a terrible president. The cloud that covered this nation under Carter is reforming and I doubt there is a Reagan in the wings to lead us out of the malaise.

Reactions: AM64
I think at this point we are facing the certainty of a major financial collapse. It is almost like a constant parade of shoe drops at this point.

Other than hard assets wealth protection will prove difficult. Precious metals, durable hard goods and real estate are possible safe havens.

There is a big difference between our economic woes today versus then. In the 70s interest rate hikes were still a viable tool. Today due to our enormous debt load any substantial increase in interest rates would be catastrophic.

Reactions: DC_Vol
There is a big difference between our economic woes today versus then. In the 70s interest rate hikes were still a viable tool. Today due to our enormous debt load any substantial increase in interest rates would be catastrophic.
The rest of the world (particularly Europe and Japan) is even further up s**t creek. You have to look at these things on a relative basis, not an absolute one.

The rest of the world (particularly Europe and Japan) is even further up s**t creek. You have to look at these things on a relative basis, not an absolute one.
How do the economic situations of the EU or Japan have bearing on our inability to even begin to service the interest on our debt load with near zero interest rates?

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back