College Hoops Hiring/Firing Thread

I read that Barnes, Bill Self and other coaches have expressed their displeasure with the firing of Martin, apparently because he's a good man. I don't doubt
that, but he's not a particularly good coach--not bad but not good either---and not good coaches get sacked every day in every sport, college and the pros. It's the reality of sports and the price to be paid for being a well-paid coach who fails to meet expectations. And every program has those.

Notre Dame used to be a top program - I dont know why they dont can Brey and start fresh

According to a TWEET from Jeff Goodman, Ball State has parted ways with head basketball coach James Whitford.

Whitford had been at Ball State for the past nine seasons where he compiled a 131-148 (.470) record. In 2021-22, his Cardinals 14-17 (9-10 MAC). Whitford, a former assistant at Arizona, Xavier, and Miami (OH), is the third-winningest head coach in Ball State MBB history.

An official announcement is expected shortly

Two names that have been mentioned a lot at East Carolina are Tennessee associate head coach Mike Schwartz and Gardner-Webb head coach Tim Craft. Schwartz has been an assistant at UT since 2016 (ECU AD Jon Gilbert used to work at Tennessee), and also worked at Miami, Tulsa, Fresno State, and Texas. Craft has been the head coach at GWU for the past nine seasons (156-134 .538), and was an assistant at East Carolina before that.

Reactions: Volfan1000
More names at Omaha (in addition to Creighton’s Alan Huss) include Colorado State assistant Ali Farokhmanesh and Oregon assistant Chris Crutchfield. Farokhmanesh was at Nebraska for three seasons before joining Niko Medved at Drake and moving with him to CSU. Crutchfield is a Omaha alum who has been an assistant at Arkansas, Oklahoma, TCU, Oral Roberts, NM State, and spent one season on the bench at Omaha in 1995-96.

Early names at Tulsa include: Ole Miss assistant Win Case, George Mason head coach Kim English, Oklahoma State staffer (and former Oral Roberts head coach) Scott Sutton, and St. John’s head coach Mike Anderson.

A lot of names early at URI, but two getting the most attention are Bryant head coach Jared Grasso and New Mexico head coach Richard Pitino. Still early here though- more on this one soon.

Kansas State is going to make a hard run at Illinois head coach Brad Underwood. Underwood is a K-State alum, was an assistant there, and is from the area. Obviously he’s had a ton of success at Illinois, is under contract until 2026, and is one of the highest paid coaches in the game, so it may be hard to pry him away from the Illini, but keep an eye on this one. As an aside, here’s the PDF of his current deal at Illinois – pretty interesting read.

If K State is unable to sign Underwood, would they look at Frank Martin who had some success there previously?

Northwestern AD Dr. Derrick Gragg has issued the following statement on the status of head men’s basketball coach Chris Collins:

Coach Chris Collins and I met today to discuss the high expectations we have for our men’s basketball program, and the path forward for it. At the conclusion of a challenging season, I share in the disappointment felt by our staff and avid fans.

As our Wildcats enter the offseason, we are committed to evaluating all aspects of the program on and off the court to ensure we are supporting this team with the foundation necessary to compete and win in the nation’s best college basketball conference. I have tasked Coach Collins with making necessary changes to build towards success in the 2022-23 campaign.

I am extremely grateful to all our supporters for their dedication and, most importantly, to our student-athletes for always representing our University with pride and passion.

Collins has spent the past nine seasons at Northwestern where he has compiled a 133-150 (.470) record. This past season, his Wildcats went 15-16 (7-13 Big Ten).

George Washington University Director of Athletics Tanya Vogel announced today that Jamion Christian will not return as head coach of the men’s basketball program.

In three seasons, Christian compiled a 29-50 record, including 12-18 in 2021-22. GW saw its season end on Thursday in its first game in the Atlantic 10 Championship. The Buff and Blue are 1-3 in the last three seasons in the conference tournament.

Hiring Alert

According to the Naples Daily News, a 10am press conference has been scheduled for Tuesday morning where Pat Chambers will be introduced as the new head basketball coach at Florida Gulf Coast.

Chambers is the former head coach at both Penn State (2011-20) and Boston University (2009-11). He also spent five seasons as an assistant on Jay Wright’s staff at Villanova. The veteran coach spent last season as an assistant at La Salle in his hometown of Philadelphia.

As head coach, Chambers has put together a 190-178 (.516) career record – 42-28 (.600) at BU, and 148-150 (.497) at Penn State.

According to the Naples Daily News, Chambers is familiar with the area, as he and his wife have owned a condo in Naples since 2014.

FNrUeyHXIAcKGzi-1024x528.png

I am very happy we have a hall of fame coach who is locked in with all of these jobs available. The only other safe guy is Cal at 10 million, all he has done for his money is recruit well.

Northwestern AD Dr. Derrick Gragg has issued the following statement on the status of head men’s basketball coach Chris Collins:

Coach Chris Collins and I met today to discuss the high expectations we have for our men’s basketball program, and the path forward for it. At the conclusion of a challenging season, I share in the disappointment felt by our staff and avid fans.

As our Wildcats enter the offseason, we are committed to evaluating all aspects of the program on and off the court to ensure we are supporting this team with the foundation necessary to compete and win in the nation’s best college basketball conference. I have tasked Coach Collins with making necessary changes to build towards success in the 2022-23 campaign.

I am extremely grateful to all our supporters for their dedication and, most importantly, to our student-athletes for always representing our University with pride and passion.

Collins has spent the past nine seasons at Northwestern where he has compiled a 133-150 (.470) record. This past season, his Wildcats went 15-16 (7-13 Big Ten).
This season was pretty much in-line with where they are as a program.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Arkansas State Vice Chancellor for Intercollegiate Athletics Tom Bowen announced Tuesday that A-State has finalized a two-year contract extension with head men’s basketball coach Mike Balado.

“Our men’s basketball program saw improvement and progress this season and is moving in a good direction,” said Bowen. “Coach Balado and I concur that neither of us is satisfied with the overall on-court results. We will not settle for progress alone. We are encouraged that with our talented roster currently in place and healthy recruiting, we are in a strong position to reach the championship and postseason goals we are all striving to accomplish. We look forward to Coach Balado’s continued leadership as our head men’s basketball coach.”

Balado has guided A-State to 69 wins during his tenure, increasing the program’s win total from one season to the next in four of his five years at the helm. Most recently in 2021-22, the Red Wolves posted at least 18 victories for just the fourth time since the 1999-2000 season.

Every day that goes by is another day closer to Maryland removing the interim tag from Danny Manning…

Early at George Washington, but some names to keep an eye on are Miami associate head coach Chris Caputo and Yale head coach James Jones. Obviously really early here though.

UCLA has signed men’s basketball head coach Mick Cronin to a new six-year contract through the 2027-28 season, it was announced today by Martin Jarmond, the Alice and Nahum Lainer Family Director of Athletics.

Multiple reports have former Indiana head coach Archie Miller as the leader at URI. Miller knows the league, as he spent 2011-17 as the head coach at A10 foe Dayton.

I keep hearing the same names at Lafayette – Minnesota assistant Marcus Jenkins, Hartford head coach John Gallagher, and two D3 head coaches from New England who have been D1 assistants.

Early names at Xavier include former Musketeer head coaches Chris Mack and Sean Miller, as well as C of C head coach Pat Kelsey (a former Xavier associate head coach & Cincinnati native). Crazy early here though.

Coaches getting votes of confidence/returning next season from yesterday: Dan D’Antoni (Marshall), Kermit Davis (Ole Miss), and Zac Claus (Idaho).

Source: Hoops Dirt

VN Store

Back