College Hoops Hiring/Firing Thread

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
About to be pink slip time for a lot of coaches. Will try to keep the openings and hires here.......

Current D1 Openings:

Maryland-Kevin Willard
Illinois State-Ryan Pedon
Alabama State-
CSU Northridge-
Florida Gulf Coast- Pat Chambers
Louisville-Kenny Payne
Lafayette-
UMass-Frank Martin
Maine-Chris Markwood
Omaha-Chris Crutchfield
Milwaukee-Bart Lundy
Sacramento State-
Western Michigan-Dwayne Stephens
San Diego-
Georgia- Mike White
Kansas State-Jerome Tang
Rhode Island-Archie Miller
Florida-Todd Golden
Missouri-Dennis Gates
Ball State-Michael Lewis
LSU-Matt McMahon
East Carolina- Mike Schwartz
George Washington-Chris Caputo
Tulsa-Eric Konkol
South Carolina-Lamont Paris
South Dakota- Eric Peterson
Mississippi State-Chris Jans
Xavier-Sean Miller
San Francisco-Chris Gerlufsen
LaSalle-Fran Dunphy
The Citadel-Ed Conroy
Miami(Ohio)-Travis Steele
SMU-Rob Lanier
Murray State-Steve Prohm
New Mexico State-Greg Heiar
Louisiana Tech-Talvin Hester
Seton Hall-Shaheen Holloway (Expected)
Alabama A&M-
Binghamton- Levell Sanders
Chattanooga-Dan Earle
Cleveland State-Daniyal Robinson
Georgia State-Jonas Hayes
Jackson State- Mo Williams
Maine-Chris Markwood
Mississippi Valley State-George Ivory
Northwestern State-Corey Gipson
Seattle- Chris Victor
South Dakota-Eric Peterson
Butler-Thad Matta
Elon-Billy Taylor
VMI-Andrew Wilson
St. Peter's-Bashir Mason
Alabama State-Tony Madlock

***UPDATED 4-18**

Last edited:
Clearly 2 MAJOR jobs on the market with Louisville and Maryland and you can probably expect at least 2 or 3 more prime time jobs.

Other Possible Prime Jobs:

Georgia
Missouri
Kansas State
Arizona State
NC State
Butler
Michigan

Clearly 2 MAJOR jobs on the market with Louisville and Maryland and you can probably expect at least 2 or 3 more prime time jobs.

Other Possible Prime Jobs:

Georgia
Missouri
Kansas State
Arizona State
NC State
Butler
Michigan

From what I’ve heard State is keeping Keats. If State is ever going to make a move against Duke and UNC now is the time.

Georgia isn’t a “prime” basketball job. They don’t GAF about it
Agree UGA is definitely a football school but with their resources, location and being in the SEC it's still a potentially great job.
I don't know anything about the particulars of their basketball program, but them not GAF about it is the only possible reason they are this bad. There is absolutely no structural reason in the world that can't be a competitive program. It seems like half the roster and most of the producing players on Bruce Pearl's Auburn teams are from the ATL metro area.

UGA should have a great baseball program as well, but for some reason they historically haven't had a lot of consistent success at that either.

I don't know anything about the particulars of their basketball program, but them not GAF about it is the only possible reason they are this bad. There is absolutely no structural reason in the world that can't be a competitive program. It seems like half the roster and most of the producing players on Bruce Pearl's Auburn teams are from the ATL metro area.

UGA should have a great baseball program as well, but for some reason they historically haven't had a lot of consistent success at that either.

Does Georgia go after an up and coming coach or another veteran to replace Crean?

Does Georgia go after an up and coming coach or another veteran to replace Crean?
If they don't provide the institutional support necessary to have a good program, I'm not sure it matters. It would take a truly special coach, whether an up and comer or a veteran, to come in there and be good if there isn't support. My gut says they should go after an up and comer, but who knows.

UGA has not won an NCAAT game since 2002, and they have won 2 NCAAT games since 1996. Wow.

I mean, look at all these players who are stone's throw from UGA. All from ATL metro area. These are just guys who have gone to Auburn over the last 5 seasons:

Chuma Okeke
Bryce Brown
Jared Harper
Isaac Okoro
Sharife Cooper
JT Thor
Jabari Smith

Transfers from ATL area include K.D. Johnson (ironically a UGA transfer) and Walker Kessler. Everybody thinks of the ATL area as a football talent hotbed, which it is, but it is pretty much all sports. Ton of baseball players too.

From a Sporting News article

One by one, teams will shut down for the season after suffering elimination. And the college coaching carousel will start whirling.
Georgia seems certain to fire Tom Crean and the Southeastern Conference could see lots of change, with speculation swirling around Cuonzo Martin at Missouri, Kermit Davis at Ole Miss, Frank Martin at South Carolina and Ben Howland at Mississippi State as well.
Maryland and Louisville have the big openings right now. Iona coach Rick Pitino shot down suggestions that the Terrapins are calling for him.

“The University of Maryland is one of the premier institutions of higher learning,” Pitino tweeted. “Its basketball program can be among the nation's best. I hope they find the next great Gary Williams. I love coaching at Iona, and I'm totally committed to my players. It will not be me.”

Among the potential candidates are Eric Musselman, who seems happy at Arkansas, as well as Ed Cooley (Providence), Andy Enfield (USC) and Kevin Willard (Seton Hall).

UMass is looking for a new coach in the Atlantic 10 after moving on from Matt McCall. Former Indiana coach Archie Miller could be a target there, along with mid-major successes Dana Ford (Missouri State), John Becker (Vermont), Bashir Mason (Wagner), James Jones (Yale) and Jared Grasso (Bryant).

Murray State's Matt McMahon is as prominent as any of them, with Cleveland State's Dennis Gates, Wagner's Bashir Mason and South Dakota State's Eric Henderson in that group. (Grant) McCasland is definitely that category, but he's going to probably need a legitimate power-conference job to be pulled away from his situation at North Texas.

Reactions: Volfan1000
From what I’ve heard State is keeping Keats. If State is ever going to make a move against Duke and UNC now is the time.
The excuse of their best player going out only goes so far. They were beyond atrocious. He’s not a very good coach.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
USC has signed men's basketball coach Andy Enfield to a contract extension that links him to the school through the 2027-28 season, the Trojans announced Wednesday.

The extension comes after Enfield had been linked as a possible candidate for Maryland's head-coaching position. Enfield earned his master's degree from Maryland, which is looking to replace Mark Turgeon after he stepped down in early December.

If they don't provide the institutional support necessary to have a good program, I'm not sure it matters. It would take a truly special coach, whether an up and comer or a veteran, to come in there and be good if there isn't support. My gut says they should go after an up and comer, but who knows.

UGA has not won an NCAAT game since 2002, and they have won 2 NCAAT games since 1996. Wow.
Baffling to me why UGA doesn't have anything on the ball as regards men's hoops. The 80's were the hey-years for UGA basketball, when Hugh Durham was the head coach.
SEC traditionally has been UK and everybody else. Not anymore. I should think that as most of the rest of conference has elevated their game, UGA will soon follow suit. But it's been a long time since they had a winning culture there.

Baffling to me why UGA doesn't have anything on the ball as regards men's hoops. The 80's were the hey-years for UGA basketball, when Hugh Durham was the head coach.
SEC traditionally has been UK and everybody else. Not anymore. I should think that as most of the rest of conference has elevated their game, UGA will soon follow suit. But it's been a long time since they had a winning culture there.
Agreed - I think the days of "the SEC is a football league and UK is the only school who can consistently be good at basketball" are over.

I have been saying for years that the SEC is an under-the-radar, sneaky-good basketball conference but it is probably time for the "under-the-radar, sneaky-good" qualifier to be dropped. It's a good basketball conference now, period.

It could be a great job, if the AD GAF. With who the candidates are, they still don't
...and given the recent performance/trajectory of football, it is increasingly unlikely they will GAF. Football success sometimes raises expectations in basketball (see Texas under Barnes) but UGA doesn't really seem like a place that would happen.

VN Store

Back