Coaching Staff Changes (David Johnson leaving for FSU)

His players at UT hated him. Everyone wants to talk down about Friend and give Chaney all the credit for the o-line improvement this year. Friend didn't have much of a chance last year with that o-line. They were low on talent and depth, nevermind them being physically weak for the most part due to the lack of a stable S&C program. I think Friend has done fine so far considering the circumstances.

By the way, Ol' Harry had a group of very talented young guys on the o-line and they were pretty bad until Pittman came. I can't believe anyone would want that guy back.

Friend working with Chaney > Heistand working with Chaney
I agree with you about Friend. When all the circumstances are considered he's done a good job. When and if we get a QB that can put the ball on the money downfield it'll open up our run game big time.

Osovet is gong to be promoted to full time assistant sooner or later.
He has good connections up and down the eastern seaboard and Pruitt is wanting to recruit that area strongly. Also noticed Osovet coaching RB's prior to the bowl game which may mean Pruitt is on top of this situation. Joe is overdue at UT, imo.

If it's already decided, I wish him the best. I certainly will miss him as I think he played a major role in recruiting Memphis. He may like working for Coach Norvell better than CJP. When FSU hired Norvell as the new coach, I had a feeling he would go after Johnson due to his past ties. As many said this comes with the territory and I have to trust UT will get the right person to replace him with.

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
Lets be careful wanting to replace Will Friend. There's only a couple of OL coaches I can think of that I would want to bring in to replace Will and one is a head coach now(Pittman).

Reactions: feathersax
Kiffin will now try to weasel into Memphis....wish Johnson would stay
Well Kiffy was going to try and do that anyways. Might make it a little easier if Johnson is gone but he was not going to ignore Memphis under any circumstances. Memphis has long been fertile recruiting grounds for Old Pizz.

His time since UT days with Chaney have been days that are more good than bad. His Notre Dame days were lightyears ahead of his time at UT. He's also been in the Pro's for a while. I don't see how he would be worse than Friend.
Curious how this turned into Friend leaving?
I think he has done a good job!

VN Store

Back