Coach Pruitt has delivered

How do you "fix" a player at the QB position who has not been fixable the whole time he has been on the hill. Just does not seem mentally quick enough. Now if it is set up to where all he has to do on a play is hand off, on another play pass to a "given spot, or throw it away, or on another play run (if he will). Then maybe his natural skills will manifest themselves. That is if they are what we have been thinking they are for the last few year.

Seems that Ole Kiffy turned a certain hapless Jonathan Crompton around, surely Ole Chaney can do the same. I mean it's not as impossible as you might want to believe.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Seems that Ole Kiffy turned a certain hapless Jonathan Crompton around, surely Ole Chaney can do the same. I mean it's not as impossible as you might want to believe.

Not to argue the point, but "ole Kiffy" and a little better o-line for Comp to work behind. OH, I think maybe Comp had a little more "upstairs" than we presently are seeing.

Great job by Pruitt but we are still behind 6 SEC teams in recruiting. Our O line & QB would need to take big steps to get to 10 wins next year but hope springs eternal. Especially in the Spring for Volnation.
I do think we are trending up.
I agree that we are trending upward, but I expect that we will remain behind at least 3 of the SEC teams in recruiting next year and then after until we can put together a convincing 10 win season. We will be hard pressed to out recruit Alabama, Georgia, and LSU until we beat on of them IMO.

to me reviewing the other SEC recruiting classes ranked ahead of us all the way up to LSU and A&M I see very little difference in depth or quality of the class. Georgia and Alabama are different, but this class could end up being as good as any outside of the top 3. Time will tell and I do think that Pruitt knows what he is looking for and pursues it regardless of what services and others think. We will see his ability to evaluate talent over the next couple of seasons, but I am hopeful. The big question and emphasis has to be player development. If we can show some player development this year, the sky is the limit in recruiting next year and into the future. We have had a terrrific off-season so far with how our season ended.

Not to argue the point, but "ole Kiffy" and a little better o-line for Comp to work behind. OH, I think maybe Comp had a little more "upstairs" than we presently are seeing.

As I recall "ole Kiffy" had a pair of VERY undersized twins as OL-men and a bunch of injured and out of commissioned bigger guys. However, the claim is that JG is an unteachable QB and I'm saying that's unfair when you look at what was done with Crompdaddy by a coach that knew what he was doing. Chaney is another coach that knows his stuff and we should wait until he gets his hands on JG before tossing the guy into the trash heap. As for Cromp having more upstairs, maybe. He didn't play like it, and even Cut, if I recall right advised Kiffy to make BJ Coleman his QB. Now if Cut felt that way, must be a reason. Nothing against Crompdaddy, I suspect undue pressure plus fan threats piled up to the point he became dysfunctional until Kif got hold of him. He's only human. The amazing thing is, is, is...wait for it. JG is only human too. Like Cromp, probably needs a REAL QB coach. Just my take on the matter plus my biased appreciation for our players as opposed to wantonly condemning them as hopeless at the drop of a hat.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
These are the guys he talked about at Halftime of the Bama game. It’s going to get better. GBO!

How do you "fix" a player at the QB position who has not been fixable the whole time he has been on the hill. Just does not seem mentally quick enough. Now if it is set up to where all he has to do on a play is hand off, on another play pass to a "given spot, or throw it away, or on another play run (if he will). Then maybe his natural skills will manifest themselves. That is if they are what we have been thinking they are for the last few year.
I'll play the other side just a minute.

If the OL improves a little then it could provide a better environment for JG to start thinking more freely. Both have problems. Both need significant improvement. But the improvement of both are interdependent. The OL is going to improve if not by development and S&C... then by replacement. The question is whether the same will have to occur at QB before things get better.

Having watched Chaney and taken an interest in him since his first tenure at UT... IMO he strongly favors decision makers. He'll push JG that way. He'll turn him into a solid decision maker or else replace him. It is the best and worst situation JG could be in.

Show ponies... I think the receivers we lost this recruiting round are telling us something. They did not see a "pony" who could get the ball to them and did not see a "colt" in the stable that showed the promise they were looking for. If you don't have a "derby" type "race horse" at QB, you will not get the receivers we wish for. Hell, some teams are losing really good QBs to transfer that are better than we have had in a while. Guess if runners see we can't throw, then we may get some great ones. Gotta get a "top tier" high school QB before the kind of elite offensive skill guys will commit.
Kind of go back to a couple of off-handed comments made by Pruitt last August. The media tried to turn it into a controversy between JG and KC. At least a couple of times, Pruitt dropped Shrout's name in. He said he "anticipates" the best of any of them. IOW's, he reads what he sees and anticipates where he needs to throw the ball. That is something that Chaney will like. He won't like a QB who never seems to lead his receiver to an open spot.

LOL, "ol' Kiffy" had to start two walk ons on his OL. That alone was a coaching miracle he and his staff pulled off but then you couple that with Crompton succeeding behind it was a double secret probation coaching miracle. Need I remind you the two OL walk ons and Crompton took Bama to the limit at their hoiuse and Mountain Cody got a miracle FG block that saved their donkeys?

I sort of understand this but I sort of don't.

If you look at the actual class quality, we're right there with these teams, no? And if we acknowledge that we filled huge positions of need (OL, for example) and assume our coaches can develop talent, the fact that we're 'behind 6 teams' becomes less and less relevant.

I don't know that any one recruiting site has rankings right.

Remember, one recruiting class is only about 20% of your total scholarship players. It will take, at least, one more highly rated class before we can expect to see the type of on field results that will confirm we are on our way back to the expectation of 10+ wins per year. And staying there year after year is a lot tougher than getting there.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
I sort of understand this but I sort of don't.

If you look at the actual class quality, we're right there with these teams, no? And if we acknowledge that we filled huge positions of need (OL, for example) and assume our coaches can develop talent, the fact that we're 'behind 6 teams' becomes less and less relevant.

I don't know that any one recruiting site has rankings right.
I agree. After the top 3 in the SEC, there is not that much difference between, Florida, LSU and Tennessee. Time will tell

I know him well! Old golfing pal from way back. His brother Mike just passed away this past week. Stoney is a good one, great guy!

Please do me a favor and give Stoney my email of CoastalSpaff@Aol and tell him Doug from Hess Hall and Lambda Chi Alpha says "Hi". Stoney got me to sign up for Farm and Animal Husbandry class at the UT Ag campus as an elective and well. it was pretty funny seeing a Jersey kid castrating pigs, sheep and calves!! Thanks Mr. Pulaski!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Qb is NOT a huge problem. It can/could/should get better, like it very much did last year, but of all the many HUGE problems last year, it wasn’t one of em.

A pathetic OL that screwed everything up offensively.....a DL that couldn’t get any pressure whatsoever on the opposing qb....a LB corps that couldn’t get off blocks and hence, couldn’t tackle anybody.....a secondary that struggled most every game despite having two young promising corners.....a defense that gave up 38 or more points in half our games. THOSE were the primary problems.

That said, I do believe Chaney will pay big dividends with getting the offense more efficient through better schemes and play calling.

And, oh yeah.....Pruitt and staff have done an excellent job with the 2019 recruiting class.

I agree that KB goes overboard with JG, but I don't believe he is below average. With a good OL and coaching he should be adequate. If he can learn to read and react to defenses, he has the talent to be good. Coaching might help him in that respect.

Yesterday's recruiting gains will have more of an impact on the 2020 season than they will the 2019 season; you can't just toss in 20 freshmen into the 1st string rotation and expect instant success.

Regardless of those star ratings, every one of those players will need development before they can effectively contribute to this team.

Reactions: Titan05
Yesterday's recruiting gains will have more of an impact on the 2020 season than they will the 2019 season; you can't just toss in 20 freshmen into the 1st string rotation and expect instant success.

Regardless of those star ratings, every one of those players will need development before they can effectively contribute to this team.

I have to imagine they will get immediate playing time for the most part. Especially the 5 star OTs. In fact, I would bet that is how we got them. Promising immediate playing time.

Jim-Carrey-Yeah.gif
I see you have found an appropriate roll model. Congrats.

Assuming our product on the field improves this season to 7-8 wins, plus the additions of Chaney and Tee, we should be in for a very big recruiting class for next year; probably around 4th in the SEC.

Great job by Pruitt but we are still behind 6 SEC teams in recruiting. Our O line & QB would need to take big steps to get to 10 wins next year but hope springs eternal. Especially in the Spring for Volnation.
I do think we are trending up.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. If the trajectory holds then we’ll be at the top again soon

I have to imagine they will get immediate playing time for the most part. Especially the 5 star OTs. In fact, I would bet that is how we got them. Promising immediate playing time.

Wright and Morris may very well get thrown in the mix for 2019, but you don't build a good offensive line in a single spring, much less a great one. Individual talent can't shore up total line play, Friend has got his work cut out of him moving forward.

I think looking at the schedule we should line up as the more talented team versus all four non-conference opponents, Kentucky, Vandy, and Missouri. SC should be at least a draw along with Florida and Miss St. Then Georgia, Bama have superior rosters. My hope is that we beat all four non conference foes and win four SEC games. Up to eight wins should be a terrific season for us. We could get nine or all the way down to six. Any less than six we really failed again and anything better than 8 would be a fantastic season for our roster.

I think looking at the schedule we should line up as the more talented team versus all four non-conference opponents, Kentucky, Vandy, and Missouri. SC should be at least a draw along with Florida and Miss St. Then Georgia, Bama have superior rosters. My hope is that we beat all four non conference foes and win four SEC games. Up to eight wins should be a terrific season for us. We could get nine or all the way down to six. Any less than six we really failed again and anything better than 8 would be a fantastic season for our roster.

If the coaching is commensurate with the talent we are recruiting, then we have to be capable of 'pulling an upset' on a more-talented-on-paper team. Whether that's even possible next year or not, I don't know, but I from an overall development perspective, we didn't see much from the end of 2017 to the end of 2018 that indicates that it's probable at the moment.

in just 1 full year!! He's managed to completely flip the roster through recruiting and brilliantly using the transfer portal, improved seemingly every position group, improved the PWO program (it matters a little), I think he's put together a great staff blended with both veterans and young whippersnappers and he's got an AD in Coach Fulmer that is willing and able to get him whatever he needs. Best of all he's snatching kids from Saban and Kirby!! I thought he was in over his head a bit last season, everything seemed rushed and a step behind. What a difference a year can make!! CJP seemed relaxed yesterday, showed a bit of personality and just seemed to be on top of things. Year 2 is generally big for great coaches and many of us feel we've got a good one. I think the roster is a good blend of experience, youth and talent, next year is the easiest schedule we've had since this mess started and the Vols are currently the #1 team in the country!! I believe we go 10-3 next season and the curse is lifted!! See you all next fall!!
Anyone who lives close to Elkton Tn. should now what he is talking about.

If the coaching is commensurate with the talent we are recruiting, then we have to be capable of 'pulling an upset' on a more-talented-on-paper team. Whether that's even possible next year or not, I don't know, but I from an overall development perspective, we didn't see much from the end of 2017 to the end of 2018 that indicates that it's probable at the moment.
That is why this year will tell us so much more about this coaching staff a lot of returnees all have to be better by being stronger, more skilled, and more intelligent in their play. If we don't have that from the 60 returnees this season doubt were heading down the right road with our program.

Reactions: BeardedVol

See Crompton, Jonathan (Cheney's first minor miracle at QB)
See Ainge, Erik (after 2005 season to be specific)

VN Store

Back