CJH: "Staff In Place By Monday"

If Steele is the DC, doesn't this bode well for the program in terms of having an established, SEC-experienced guy that can take charge of the defensive side of the ball and recruit effectively? Honestly, I don't know Steele's defensive stats very well, but seems like he is a solid choice. Not a lot of unknown coming with him. Maybe he can get our D-backs to effectively defend the slant route.
Well I just read this...
Said an SEC East rival, “Steele is not a fit schematically based on what (the Vols) are going to do on offense. He is the type of guy to sit back and not beat himself schematically. However, I am completely against playing that way when your entire offensive game plan is based around creating possessions. You need a super-aggressive defensive coordinator to create negative plays and turnovers.”
It’s worth noting in Heupel’s introductory press conference on Rocky Top that the former Oklahoma national champion quarterback emphasized a desire for an aggressive, opportunistic defense.

I could see JH holding a press conference where he announces his offensive staff and then Steele as the dc and hands the mic over to Steele to discuss his defensive staff. I think it would be huge to retain Steele and agree that it certainly seems like Steele is sticking around.
Let me assure you. CJH is doing everything he can to not have to hire Steele as DC and i agree with that decision.
You folks that are wanting a "Vol" for DC are the same ones that wanted Fulmer for AD.

Damn straight he did!

Hey, he might delve into coach speak at some point but he tackled those questions head on and stood up like a man! Helluva lot more than we can say with our prior gump moron doosh-nozzle. I'm so happy that POS is gone I'm tickling myself daily. Also improved my love life since wifey is such a die hard. Her libido lives and dies by Tennessee football. Thankfully for me it's been in HIGH GEAR....WEEEEE. RIDE EM COWBOY
Congratulations. A question: what happens in the off season?

Let me assure you. CJH is doing everything he can to not have to hire Steele as DC and i agree with that decision.
You folks that are wanting a "Vol" for DC are the same ones that wanted Fulmer for AD.
Well don’t put me in that group. I think he has an outstanding resume for a DC who needs to run his defense like his own team but I read up on his approach and have to agree with what I am reading.

Said an SEC East rival, “Steele is not a fit schematically based on what (the Vols) are going to do on offense. He is the type of guy to sit back and not beat himself schematically. However, I am completely against playing that way when your entire offensive game plan is based around creating possessions. You need a super-aggressive defensive coordinator to create negative plays and turnovers.”
It’s worth noting in Heupel’s introductory press conference on Rocky Top that the former Oklahoma national champion quarterback emphasized a desire for an aggressive, opportunistic defense.

Well I just read this...

I'm going to counter that even though I don't care for Steele. If your defense can bend but not break, force FGs instead of TDs, that might work well with an offense that scores a lot of TDs.

Then again that defense might end up on the field too long.

If Steele is the DC, doesn't this bode well for the program in terms of having an established, SEC-experienced guy that can take charge of the defensive side of the ball and recruit effectively? Honestly, I don't know Steele's defensive stats very well, but seems like he is a solid choice. Not a lot of unknown coming with him. Maybe he can get our D-backs to effectively defend the slant route.

I still can't understand the hiring of Steele by Foolmer/Pruitt? It just doesn't make any sense at all.
Is it possible they really didn't know how bad it was going to get with the money scandal ??

Foolmer just seems to be a really BAD person at managing the "business".
He for sure should have NEVER been made the AD.

I still can't understand the hiring of Steele by Foolmer/Pruitt? It just doesn't make any sense at all.
Is it possible they really didn't know how bad it was going to get with the money scandal ??

Foolmer just seems to be a really BAD person at managing the "business".
He for sure should have NEVER been made the AD.
Fulmer likely planned to just ignore it and sweep it under the rug. His bosses had other ideas.

I don't understand this "we're paying him a lot of money" comment. He was making $2.5 million a year at Auburn. He's making WAY WAY less than an SEC DC would commonly make.

He's making $450,000 a year. That's not "a lot of money" for an SEC coach is it?

Didn’t see an answer to your question.

$450K/year is approaching median pay for an SEC position coach, although a few position coaches draw around $1 million/year. $450K/year would be very low for today’s SEC DC or OC.

But, we’re really just paying down Auburn’s commitment to Steele since he’s still under contract with Auburn for a few more years at a lot more than $450K/year. If we were to give Steele a raise now, it would lower Auburn’s guaranteed buyout payment to Steele.

He’s been DC at Bama, Clemson, Auburn and LSU... both LSU and Auburn struggled to put up points.

He has also coached at OSU, Nebraska, FSU and was the HC at Baylor for several years. It doesn’t get more established than him.
Tells me he is being showed the door quite often. F8C40E5F-1A58-4789-B7D5-E33E2D0AF79C.gif

Didn’t see an answer to your question.

$450K/year is approaching median pay for an SEC position coach, although a few position coaches draw around $1 million/year. $450K/year would be very low for today’s SEC DC or OC.

But, we’re really just paying down Auburn’s commitment to Steele since he’s still under contract with Auburn for a few more years at a lot more than $450K/year. If we were to give Steele a raise now, it would lower Auburn’s guaranteed buyout payment to Steele.
I'm aware he's still being paid his buyout less his TN salary but if he IS named DC, Auburn might have a "good faith" claim against him for not seeking a normal salary for an SEC DC.

I'm not an attorney but it would seem that agreeing to a DC job without a salary that's plausible for an SEC DC is kind of violating the spirit of "seeking a job of similar responsibility and pay" or whatever that language is in the contracts.

Reactions: VolsSince78

VN Store

Back