CJH: "Staff In Place By Monday"

Whether or not he’s the long term solution, I’ll always like the guy no matter what.

I never liked Pruitt from the start.

I wasn't a fan of his bashing the players on the roster already when he walked in the door. I like the Uban Meyer quote on it.

“That’s like, when I got here, everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare,” Meyer explained. “If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they’d be gone. You’re done. Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], ‘Wait until they get their own players in there.’ They’re our players. What do you mean ‘their players?’ The minute you sign a contract, they’re your players. You didn’t choose me, I chose you. You’re mine, absolutely. I love you, and I’m going to kick the **** out of you, and we’re going to do it right…[Blaming players] drives me insane.”

And for all the not-so-subtle jabs at Butch's roster, it was the kids he inherited that ended up being the biggest standouts; Trey Smith, Darrell Taylor, Daniel Bituli, Jauan Jennings, Marquez Callaway, Josh Palmer, Alontae Taylor, etc. Hell, even Guarantono to some degree. For all the JG bashing, it's not like Pruitt ever managed to recruit/develop anyone that beat him out.

I just want the coaching hires to come ASAP so that Winter workouts and then Spring practice can begin to shape this Fall's team. From what I have learned about White and Heupel, the more optimistic I become about the future of our football program. I am even more convinced that we have he best coach we have had in the last 35 years and one who could develop into an SEC and National Championship type coach. If , indeed, the boosters will have less input in everyday football operations, the future has to be considerable better. Let us support our new leaders, both academically and athletically restore our University and Athletic programs back to where we need them to be.

If the rumors are true:
1) All staff announced at one time;
2) Some of the names being thrown around for DC being NFL guys;

then it stands to reason that Monday could indeed be the day.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
If the rumors are true:
1) All staff announced at one time
2) Some of the names being thrown around for DC being NFL guys

A name to throw out there with the NFL connection. Kacy Rodgers is the DL coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was the DC for Todd Bowles when they were both with the Jets. Might he want another chance as a DC? He is a former Tennessee player. He would be available after Sunday's Super Bowl. Just a wild guess, what would you think of this?

@preacherwebb said:
If the rumors are true:
1) All staff announced at one time
2) Some of the names being thrown around for DC being NFL guys

@eaglevol
A name to throw out there with the NFL connection. Kacy Rodgers is the DL coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was the DC for Todd Bowles when they were both with the Jets. Might he want another chance as a DC? He is a former Tennessee player. He would be available after Sunday's Super Bowl. Just a wild guess, what would you think of this?

I know nothing, as far as knowing goes.
He and House both seem to be hires to get excited about. JMO.

Sorry for the double post, I'm not used to posting from my phone.

Last edited:
I really had the impression they were going to announce by Wednesday of this week. I believe most of the ink is already dry.

Sounds like Heupel needs a different type of DC than Steele given the offensive scheme. Give him credit for realizing that. Most of us would be happy with Steele, but if he's not the right fit, hope Heupel finds a DC that is.

Weird considering Steele has been a DC under a similar type of offense for years. It seems to me that he would be a natural fit on Heupel's staff.

Reactions: BigDave
The more opportunities Josh has to share his vision for the program, the clearer our picture of what he's bringing. Of what he wants the team to look like, to be like.

Down at the roots, it's about his values, the values he wants to instill throughout the program. These seem to be the values he's pushing hardest: toughness ... smarts ... selflessness ... accountability ... family ... love ... pride in place (Tennessee) ... fierce competitors ... ownership.

It's a really good value set for a football team. And it's not all that different from the values of the United States Army, the values our soldiers have internalized. Here's how the two compare:

Army == Volunteers
-----------------------
Loyalty == family
Duty == accountability, fierce competitors
Respect == family, love
Selfless Service == selflessness
Honor == pride in place, ownership
Integrity == accountability
Personal Courage == toughness, fierce competitors

It's not a perfect match, but it's pretty darn close.

100% behind Josh in this.

Go Vols!
I like these better from Alec Baldwin. Tough Love. FDCA6ECF-F66D-4675-9A65-E281F20ED812.gif

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
I think I read on 1 of the articles on here that Kevin Steele relaxes a bit and runs his regular D and lets the O move down the field but when they get close to the Red zone then he'll blitz and try to put on more pressure.

I think our new HC wants a DC that will put on serious pressure and runs schemes and blitzes that will put serious pressure on from play 1.

He wants the other team behind the chains constantly and to force bad passes for picks and to knock the ball out to force more turnovers.

I think he wants our D to be really aggressive and to turn the dogs loose all the time.

I think we all would love to see our D doing those things to get the ball back and let our O go score again.

I think our footVol Team is going to become fun to watch again...finally.

WOOOHOOO!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

If Steele is the DC, doesn't this bode well for the program in terms of having an established, SEC-experienced guy that can take charge of the defensive side of the ball and recruit effectively? Honestly, I don't know Steele's defensive stats very well, but seems like he is a solid choice. Not a lot of unknown coming with him. Maybe he can get our D-backs to effectively defend the slant route.

I wasn't a fan of his bashing the players on the roster already when he walked in the door. I like the Uban Meyer quote on it.

“That’s like, when I got here, everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare,” Meyer explained. “If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they’d be gone. You’re done. Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], ‘Wait until they get their own players in there.’ They’re our players. What do you mean ‘their players?’ The minute you sign a contract, they’re your players. You didn’t choose me, I chose you. You’re mine, absolutely. I love you, and I’m going to kick the **** out of you, and we’re going to do it right…[Blaming players] drives me insane.”

And for all the not-so-subtle jabs at Butch's roster, it was the kids he inherited that ended up being the biggest standouts; Trey Smith, Darrell Taylor, Daniel Bituli, Jauan Jennings, Marquez Callaway, Josh Palmer, Alontae Taylor, etc. Hell, even Guarantono to some degree. For all the JG bashing, it's not like Pruitt ever managed to recruit/develop anyone that beat him out.

And it’ll be the same way for heupel in his first 3 years as well

I think I read on 1 of the articles on here that Kevin Steele relaxes a bit and runs his regular D and lets the O move down the field but when they get close to the Red zone then he'll blitz and try to put on more pressure.

I think our new HC wants a DC that will put on serious pressure and runs schemes and blitzes that will put serious pressure on from play 1.

He wants the other team behind the chains constantly and to force bad passes for picks and to knock the ball out to force more turnovers.

I think he wants our D to be really aggressive and to turn the dogs loose all the time.

I think we all would love to see our D doing those things to get the ball back and let our O go score again.

I think our footVol Team is going to become fun to watch again...finally.

WOOOHOOO!!!

VFL...GBO!!!
The comments your talking about were in this article, it was posted in another thread, pretty good read:

Sources: Tennessee defensive coordinator search reaches ACC, NFL ties (footballscoop.com)

Reactions: VolnJC
If Steele is the DC, doesn't this bode well for the program in terms of having an established, SEC-experienced guy that can take charge of the defensive side of the ball and recruit effectively? Honestly, I don't know Steele's defensive stats very well, but seems like he is a solid choice. Not a lot of unknown coming with him. Maybe he can get our D-backs to effectively defend the slant route.
He’s been DC at Bama, Clemson, Auburn and LSU... both LSU and Auburn struggled to put up points.

He has also coached at OSU, Nebraska, FSU and was the HC at Baylor for several years. It doesn’t get more established than him.

VN Store

Back