Cigar /Pipe Smoking thread

Used to smoke cigars a fair amount. Kind of got away from it with young kids, but now they're pretty much grown and out of the house. Was in Wilmington NC and stopped into a downtown cigar shop back in April/May and immediately went right back to an Arturo Fuente. Used to smoke a variety of Padron, Rocky Patel, Arturo Fuente, Gloria de Cubana, CAO, Oliva, etc.. Not familiar with Undercrown. What's the story on these?

glad to welcome you back to the society of herfers!

Undercrown Maduro Cigars - Drew Estate

Basically a cheaper version of their liga privada #9

First time trying this. Pappy Van Winkles family reserve. So far it’s a nice smoke. The draw is a little tight but not terrible.
DEE6FEBF-FC5D-4A7B-BA1C-B0D0CBC7FCF4.jpeg

This is a better alternative to the diesel barrel aged. I like the diesel but this is a really good cigar.

3657941F-5686-48A8-9A9D-D9D3FB3CD913.jpeg

Last edited:
I also bought a new world, toro by Jamie Garcia today. Have any of you guys tried it? I looked it up and saw it had got a 91 grade. I know it is a fairly new cigar.
I also got a Alec Bradley double broadleaf.

Last edited:
Reactions: malinoisvol
First time trying this. Pappy Van Winkles family reserve. So far it’s a nice smoke. The draw is a little tight but not terrible.
View attachment 524086

This is a better alternative to the diesel barrel aged. I like the diesel but this is a really good cigar.

View attachment 524095
Would have thought this would just be a bit of a money grab off the PVW name so good to hear.

I also bought a new world, toro by Jamie Garcia today. Have any of you guys tried it? I looked it up and saw it had got a 91 grade. I know it is a fairly new cigar.

I also got a Alec Bradley double broadleaf.

Jaime is Don Pepin's son so would guess he will be a name to watch over the next few years as he tries different things. That said, I thought New World was made by AJ Fernandez? Havent had one, no maybe I did have one a few years ago, cant remember.

Reactions: loggervol
Would have thought this would just be a bit of a money grab off the PVW name so good to hear.

Jaime is Don Pepin's son so would guess he will be a name to watch over the next few years as he tries different things. That said, I thought New World was made by AJ Fernandez? Havent had one, no maybe I did have one a few years ago, cant remember.

You’re right, it is AJ Fernandez. I don’t know why I said Jamie Garcia.

Reactions: Gandalf
@malinoisvol, the smoke pit has a buy 4 get one free if you haven’t been. I think it’s for everything except the Liga Privada and something else. I can’t remember.

You can get 4 good smokes and a really nice stick for good money.

Reactions: malinoisvol
@loggervol @Gandalf @Tin Man

Got a sample pack of Johnny Walker Scotch. I've never had Scotch before and need tips as to how one properly consumes Scotch. :) TIA

Depends on the cigar and the type of JW really. Most newbies I recommend having it with just a small splash of water to open it up a bit.

Remember that the goal is not to drink it but to sip it.
That means taking a small sip and rolling it in your mouth.
Savor it. Enjoy.
Then let it trickle down your throat.
Pause.
Puff your cigar.
Savor it. Enjoy.
take a tiny sip of water to wash your palette.
Repeat.

In this way you maximize the enjoyment of a top whiskey without drinking much of it. Which is good because it means you can have high quality stuff more often and won’t cloud your mind, especially when you’re with friends doing business.

Depends on the cigar and the type of JW really. Most newbies I recommend having it with just a small splash of water to open it up a bit.

Remember that the goal is not to drink it but to sip it.
That means taking a small sip and rolling it in your mouth.
Savor it. Enjoy.
Then let it trickle down your throat.
Pause.
Puff your cigar.
Savor it. Enjoy.
take a tiny sip of water to wash your palette.
Repeat.

In this way you maximize the enjoyment of a top whiskey without drinking much of it. Which is good because it means you can have high quality stuff more often and won’t cloud your mind, especially when you’re with friends doing business.
This I shall try. I'm 60 and have always listened to people who enjoy Scotch, I just have never tried it.

In my opinion. Scotch is always neat .

For the most part I agree, especially on Scotches. There are a number of other whiskeys, especially those over 100 proof, that can enjoy a bit of water to open up or take the heat off. Bookers comes to mind (though I like it neat also)

Candidly tho, JW on the lower end is able to stand a drop of water to cut the smoke and the tingle for a new drinker. The gold and blue label though is worth savoring neat even if you are new to it. It’s still just a blend though.

For the most part I agree, especially on Scotches. There are a number of other whiskeys, especially those over 100 proof, that can enjoy a bit of water to open up or take the heat off. Bookers comes to mind (though I like it neat also)

Candidly tho, JW on the lower end is able to stand a drop of water to cut the smoke and the tingle for a new drinker. The gold and blue label though is worth savoring neat even if you are new to it. It’s still just a blend though.
I agree. I prefer my whiskey on ice and Scotch neat. I have had several of the Walker labels. But I'm a single malt kind of guy. Don't know enough about the blended stuff.

VN Store

Back