Chris Low just said Fulmer wouldn’t sign off

TWRA needs to start checking vol fans for CWD. We are starting to show signs. CDW makes holes in the brain before causing death

Reactions: Rodeo vol
I don't hate Fulmer and do miss the years he was coaching.

With that said, if he were such a fantastic coach why did no one offer him some kind of spot? The closest he came to a football job in the last 10 years was as an advisor to ETSU when they were re-starting their program. I would think that if all the folks out there who should know more about these things than those of us on VN didn't want him on their staff or as their HCm, why do so many put so much faith in his opinion?
You make a good case. I talked to one person (please don’t blast me for having insiders) that has passed away that was very close to him and he said that Fulmer didn’t really try to or want to coach anymore after UT fired him.

Reactions: VolNExile
The sad thing is we'll never know the real story. UT will come up with a feel-good story to sell us so that we keep on filling the stadium for mediocrity or worse. And it is much worse lately.
And I for one am sick and tired of the lies.

You make a good case. I talked to one person (please don’t blast me for having insiders) that has passed away that was very close to him and he said that Fulmer didn’t really try to or want to coach anymore after UT fired him.
It's the opposite of what Fulmer said publicly back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Some of you have simply lost your common sense. Say Fulmer does sign off on hiring the guy and he comes in and absolutely bombs or better yet does something that gets us in trouble. Not a single one of you would remember how crazed some are about hiring him and would simply blame Fulmer for being incompetent for hiring him in the first place. I don't blame them for doing their due diligence. I'm not against the hire but I can certainly understand the concern. Freeze has a sharp football mind but a very questionable moral ethic.
I think the issue is that for ten years running now we have done everything but hire coaches based on winning being the primary consideration. It would be a great change of pace, and it's way, way overdue. We don't have time for any more hires where winning is number ten down the list of factors when evaluating candidates.

I seem to recall he made it known he was interested in Kansas job before they hired Weis

If CPF said no, then its no..........I trust him on these things. HF could bring more trouble to UT, and to be honest...........do we really need more of that?

Fulmer met with a freaking under aged female at a shoney's who was an alleged victim of sexual assault by one his players for crying out loud. He is no saint.....

UTAD had to know that Helton interviewed for Western Ky job before they announced hiring. UTAD is so reactionary instead of being proactive it makes me sick. Have a dang plan in place--ok if Helton leaves we have potential replacement 1,2,3 and deal is done in 2 days tops. Pre-vet the Top 3 candidates. They have no clue.

Amen x 1,000,000 = the USA today article where the allegations came out about Freeze's time at Briarcrest was written well over one year ago. A quick google search and boom there it is. Any competent HR administrative professional could have easily found the article that contained those mere allegations - no testimony - no court proceedings - just a handful of allegations (which is in my opinion significantly different that Schiano where there was sworn testimony about him in addition to specific findings of sexual abuse of children at the hands of Sandusky).

However, I digress.

The point is that this OC search just illustrates the ongoing ineptitude of the UT Administration, the Athletic Department, the Trustees and the Boosters. A due diligence investigation should have been conducted before interviewing every candidate especially Hugh Freeze which would have revealed the USA Today article. Point is that the AD and the Administration let Pruitt go down a pretty long road with Freeze only to quash it. Different set of power players but the same keystone cop inept coaching search. And by pretty much all accounts Freeze was Pruitt's #1 candidate - not a good look.

I can see that. We probably had some crazy buy out language thrown in there we didn’t want to budge on. I’m sure Fulmer wants continuity and not a guy whose going to bolt after one season.

Amen x 1,000,000 = the USA today article where the allegations came out about Freeze's time at Briarcrest was written well over one year ago. A quick google search and boom there it is. Any competent HR administrative professional could have easily found the article that contained those mere allegations - no testimony - no court proceedings - just a handful of allegations (which is in my opinion significantly different that Schiano where there was sworn testimony about him in addition to specific findings of sexual abuse of children at the hands of Sandusky).

However, I digress.

The point is that this OC search just illustrates the ongoing ineptitude of the UT Administration, the Athletic Department, the Trustees and the Boosters. A due diligence investigation should have been conducted before interviewing every candidate especially Hugh Freeze which would have revealed the USA Today article. Point is that the AD and the Administration let Pruitt go down a pretty long road with Freeze only to quash it. Different set of power players but the same keystone cop inept coaching search. And by pretty much all accounts Freeze was Pruitt's #1 candidate - not a good look.

I would argue that the actual power players are the same, which is why we have another keystone cop inept coaching search.

The only reason Fulmer is AD is that Currie miscalculated the seriousness with which Vols fans took the last hfc hire and our willingness to expect a big time hire. It would be ironic for Fulmer to slip into the same sort of miscalculation over a coordinator hire.

Reactions: preacherwebb
which is in my opinion significantly different than Schiano where there was sworn testimony about him
There was sworn testimony from Mike McQuery that he heard Schiano had seen something third hand from someone who heard it from someone else. Basically he swore he heard some beauty parlour gossip. McQuery could not testify he had seen or heard Schiano do anything himself. Literally this was triple hearsay at a deposition, it would never be admitted at a civil or criminal trial because it's not evidence of anything. When investigators went to the other two someone's involved, they both said McQuery was FOS. McQuery is a very suspect guy, he is the one who originally said he (McQuery) saw Sandusky having sexual relations in the shower with a kid and was freaked out and essentially walked away. McQuery caught hell for this and rightfully so, he then backtracked and changed his story to "he made sure the sex stopped before leaving" (leaving the kid alone with the perp). Since that time he has made multiple unsubstantiated/uncorroborated claims trying to rehabilitate his image. In short, he is no hero, and not real credible to start with.

I am happy as I can be that we didn't get Schiano because I think he would have been a terrible fit and another failed coach for UT, but it amazes me the number of people who continue with the Schiano Penn State thing. It's sad, and it's a dangerous position for society to be in that so many are willing to use such a flimsy connection to something horrible to unjustly and forever taint a man just because it serves your short term purpose. It's all fun and games until it happens to you, I've spent my life working in the justice system and if we don't demand evidence, everyone is really just one liar away from some serious trouble.

Reactions: Thorp32
The man made a mistake. He has been punished. He says he is remorseful. Let him who has never made a mistake throw the first stone.
Stop this ********. (I’m speaking to more than you)
Quit attempting to be an authority on ethics and stop proofrexting the Bible. You’re an expert on neither.

Advocating good judgment is NOT judging someone. No one is suggesting we pick up actual stones and throw them at Freeze until he is dead? You do realize that is the context of the oft quoted verse? They were NOT figurative stones. It was a literal mob, picking up literal stones, to kill a literal person.

Presenting an opinion that the university shouldn’t hire Freeze due to serious past ethical issues and the fact he was judged (fired) by his previous employer, is NOT being unforgiving or picking up stones. It’s sound judgment. This isn’t an opinion on whether Freeze can go to heaven or hell, or whether he should be forgiven. Forgiven people still suffer the consequences of their past actions.

So, please stop lecturing fans on “forgiveness.”

Reactions: VolNExile and Behr

However, I digress.

Fulmer could have allowed Freeze to pursue who he wanted on the knowledge that any candidate, especially Freeze, would have to be vetted very hard.
None of this is ever as easy as you imply.

VN Store

Back