CFP Scenarios (merged)

Those same analysts got TCU at 7 wrong in the first rankings..... The CFP committee is not media driven like some clamor they are. Buckle up Buttercup

Fortunately they seem to value who you beat and weight who you lose to. What 1 loss team can have a BETTER loss? Who will have more wins vs ranked teams? Don’t know if they have MORAL LOSSES that our NEGAVOLS seem to or not. Of course we have to finish 3-0 and not stink them up to find out.

Fortunately they seem to value who you beat and weight who you lose to. What 1 loss team can have a BETTER loss? Who will have more wins vs ranked teams? Don’t know if they have MORAL LOSSES that our NEGAVOLS seem to or not. Of course we have to finish 3-0 and not stink them up to find out.

I agree. Tennessee losing a #1 vs #3 game while TCU is struggling to win by 10 vs Texas Tech and WVU is not some formula that justifies TCU shooting up the rankings.

They are likely #5 tomorrow, but I would not be shocked if are #6..... They did nothing on their own to justify moving up. They had to have others fall.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Are you new to college football? Having people in front of you lose is the main recipe for moving up the rankings. Matter of fact, in the past it was the ONLY way.

Clemson needs to lose, Bama needs another lose. Potentially a TCU loss. Even if all that happens we we'd still have to play Georgia again to win a championship. It's been a nice season but unfortunately all we get now is a chance at 11-1.
Does the irony of this being the unfortunate outcome of this season not strike you?

LSU has a much better chance of getting in if they win the SEC than we do if they win the SEC
I see your point but LSU got throttled by us at home 40-13. They will take that into account. LSUs best outcome at this point is the surgar bowl

They did. And if they win out they will have won 12 straight games, with 3 of the last 4 against ranked teams AND won a conference championship while we are sitting at home. Don't bet any money on them not passing us.
We are not sitting at home regardless... The season is not over. Can't worry about what you can't control. Too many games to play and we have to win out and let the other pieces move into place. We should be headed to a NYG regardless. A huge accomplishment from where we have been in the past 16 years and we are on Year 2. All is good no matter what.

Reactions: GBOx2
I see your point but LSU got throttled by us at home 40-13. They will take that into account. LSUs best outcome at this point is the surgar bowl
Probably but we wont get in either if they win. Just don't see the committee putting the 2nd and 3rd team from the SEC in over other conference champs. I do see a very, very remote chance that they decide that the SEC champ, with a win over the clear best team in the country (UGA) deserves to be in.

We are not sitting at home regardless... The season is not over. Can't worry about what you can't control. Too many games to play and we have to win out and let the other pieces move into place. We should be headed to a NYG regardless. A huge accomplishment from where we have been in the past 16 years and we are on Year 2. All is good no matter what.

I meant sitting at home during the conference championship week. Out of site, out of mind to the committee. I am freaking great with this year regardless.

Oregon or USC will get in as a one loss PAC champ. Not sure what everyone here keeps overlooking that fact.
With Oregon they’re looking at the fact that Georgia beat them by 46 on a neutral field and could’ve beat them by whatever margin they wanted to. Tennessee lost in Athens by 14.

Plus I kinda want to get hammered with 40k UT fans on Bourbon St for the Sugar Bowl.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Ole Miss maybe #1 in the west, will play Georgia in championship.

I think there will be two unbeaten (UGA and Big Ten winner) and then an up to 6 team one loss sweepstakes for the last two positions:

TCU
PAC-10 winner
Tennessee
Clemson
Michigan or Ohio State
Possibly Ole Miss

Those last two spots will selected based on viewer popularity, then sold to us with some eye test logic.

Are you new to college football? Having people in front of you lose is the main recipe for moving up the rankings. Matter of fact, in the past it was the ONLY way.

Typically, yes - but if you look back over the way the CFP has played out over the last few years - it is losing to an unranked team in that poll or a ranked team in the lower 20 that will propel a lot of movement downward. Clemson is in trouble. Losing to another team in the top 4 does push a team down but very rarely to the first spot where someone lost. Case in point UGA was number 1 last year going into the SEC championship game. The lost badly to #3 Alabama and they traded places. Using the logic that they should fall based on who won - UGA would have fell to #8 or at least to 5 and been out of the CFP and Notre Dame in. The week before OSU lost to Michigan and did drop from 2 to 7, but that was more a factor of OSU having 2 losses.

If the CFP committee truly believed Tennessee belonged in that top slot, dropping them past 4 (5 will be a stretch) because they lost to #3 who most felt should be # 1 invalidates their rationale.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
If the committee remains consistent, we should only fall to #4. They had one-loss ‘Bama in front of TCU last week, so they shouldn’t drop us behind them. IF, a big if, they remain consistent, that is.

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Tennessee
5. TCU
6. Oregon
7. USC
8. LSU

Who really thinks TCU would hang against any team ranked above them? They will certainly lose 1-2 before the season is over. Oregon still has Washington, Utah, Oregon State in Corvallis, and possibly the Pac-12 championship to play. USC & UCLA play each other and then likely Oregon for the PACCG. Those teams will sort themselves out. The 2 teams we REALLY needed to lose (Clemson & ‘Bama) lost yesterday. TCU goes down and we’re pretty much a lock.

VN Store

Back