CFP Scenarios (merged)

We do not want to play UGA in the semis if possible. Do not give them four weeks to prepare. The Final will be just fine.

Clemson needs to lose, Bama needs another lose. Potentially a TCU loss. Even if all that happens we we'd still have to play Georgia again to win a championship. It's been a nice season but unfortunately all we get now is a chance at 11-1.
Well Clemson and Bama lost. Now we need TCU to lose?

Reactions: mallardvol
I say were #5 and all we have to do is win last 3 and were in as long as Ole Miss or LSU doesn't beat UGA in the SEC Championship

Reactions: Ernest T. Vol
Clemson needs to lose, Bama needs another lose. Potentially a TCU loss. Even if all that happens we we'd still have to play Georgia again to win a championship. It's been a nice season but unfortunately all we get now is a chance at 11-1.
I would like to replay Georgia on a Neutral field.

Reactions: stewart6600
There's about a zero percent chance that USC is getting in even if they win the PAC12 championship. They've essentially looked pretty bad against everyone they've played, and with a fairly weak schedule up until this point. They've got to beat UCLA, Notre Dame, and in theory Oregon to be fair, so maybe that would be enough to get them in. I seriously doubt they are able to do that.

On the flip side with Oregon, our only mutual opponent with them is Georgia where they got beat by 45 on a neutral field and we got beat by 14 at Georgia. They certainly will look at that. They'll also look at the metrics they use to determine seeding, which we currently are ahead of them in every category. Those things matter.

I firmly believe we'll be the highest ranked 1 loss team in the nation when it is all said and done. Our resume is better than anyone not named Georgia at this point. Currently there will only be at best 3 undefeated teams in the nation by the time the playoffs role around, which to me means we'll earn that 4th seed. If TCU slips up, I could see us even getting the 3rd seed.

I agree with all of this, although I think Oregon wins the Pac 12 and either them or TCU gets in, along with us, Georgia, and the Mich/OSU winner. We need to win our last three in convincing fashion to give the voters zero reason to drop us for not playing in the SECCG.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Looks like Mich, Bama will win, Clemson will lose.

My prediction for next weeks rank:
1.Georgia
2.Ohio state
3.Michigan
4.TCU
5. Vols
6. Bama
Etc

That means if Vols and Georgia win out, we are probably #4 at end of season. And higher if TCU loses (and I think they will). 👍
Anything goes on a neutral field and 50/50 ticket split. Heupel can get them ready. Never a doubt ladies and gents. Just take care of bitness the next 3 weeks and let it all play out.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Oregon or USC will get in as a one loss PAC champ. Not sure what everyone here keeps overlooking that fact.
Need Oregon to win out and UGA as well no way the committee puts Oregon in as a 4 seed after the first time they met.

Our only loss will be to the no.1 team in the nation. When all said and done, Tenn will be the 3 seed. Smoke whatever BIG team is the 2 seed, and play GA again in the national championship.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I am not a Sunshine Pumper, but do most of you realize that AL beat GA in the SEC Championship game last year 41-24 and then GA Beat them in the CFP National Championship Game 33-18.

There is too much football to be played a lot of upsets can happen. We are fine and let's just ride this out.

Genuine question, as long as we win out after this horrific loss, what scenario gets us in? Anyone have a solid explanation?
The more I read posts like this the more disappointing it is. This was a loss for certain. I had hoped we would overcome the talent gap, but we were not able to. Horrific loss?! Did we lose by three scores to a 5-3 unranked team to lose our first game? Did we give up and stop trying when things went south? If they learn something from how the bulldogs handled us on both sides of the ball, then we will benefit. They weren't ready for the atmosphere and it showed. They weren't ready for the noise and it showed. Even when it looked like they had found something on offense and were driving, a monsoon hit and Hooker couldn't keep his passes down at all. How many expected a 75 yard coffin corner punt?
Please understand this isn't directed at your post personally, it just happened to be the OP of a thread that matches so many like it. You phrased it like we were expecting to be in the playoffs and we had blown it up. This team has been languishing in an unprecedented dry spell where we stopped acting like a fan base because of BVS. Now we have started to turn things around, and ONE disappointing loss has many of you acting like we are trash. I have seen many posts stating how horrible opposing teams fans are, some of this group should read your own posts.

IF we win out, we will for sure be the top ranked 1 loss team THAT is not a conference champ. I think the committee might put a 1 loss Pac 10/Big12 champ ahead of us. Possibly even a weak ass ACC champ. If either of UCLA/USC/Oregon win out I think they are in. IF Clemson/UNC win out we should be ahead but you never know. A one loss TCU as champ might get the nod as well. Nightmare scenario is LSU win over UGA.

If LSU wins out and wins the championship game they would be in.

They couldn’t put Georgia in and NOT put LSU in…….so they would both be in.

Worst case scenario for Tennessee. I highly doubt they would put 3 SEC teams in.

Why? LSU has 2 losses. Is everyone forgetting that? Also, Tennessee didn’t just beat them head to head…we blew them out. There’s zero justification to put LSU in over Tennessee. None.

Why? LSU has 2 losses. Is everyone forgetting that? Also, Tennessee didn’t just beat them head to head…we blew them out. There’s zero justification to put LSU in over Tennessee. None.

The justification would be SEC champ and wins over UGA and Ala. But SEC champ would be the kicker.

VN Store

Back