CFP Scenarios (merged)

One other scenario I haven't heard anyone consider. What if LSU lost their next 2 games, and Alabama won out. Does that put Alabama as west champs? Then, if they beat UGA, are they in?

One other scenario I haven't heard anyone consider. What if LSU lost their next 2 games, and Alabama won out. Does that put Alabama as west champs? Then, if they beat UGA, are they in?
I think LSU can afford to lose just one more game. If Alabama still makes it to the SEC Championship, Georgia would clobber 'em.

Ga got conservative in the second half to milk clock. They likely could’ve put two more scores on us. The game was nowhere as close as the score indicates.

Not true - after the field goal on their first drive in the second half - UGA had only 11 plays after that - we had 21. There was a forced fumble and two 3 / out possessions where our defense stopped them with negative yards. They did a very lousy job of "milking" the clock in the 4th quarter if that is really what they were trying to do.

I wouldn’t think so because two losses and loss to UT head to head. I see GA winning out and UT being the 2nd sec team as long as they win out. Clemson loss, Michigan and Ohio state still play each other. I see 2 undefeated teams probably Ohio state and GA and then 2 1 loss teams unless TCU wins out and then who knows

I posted this in another thread - but my .02 is Tennessee is in the playoffs as long as we win out.
We will be ranked No worse than 5 with the ohio Michigan loser falling behind us after their game.
Said differently, Tenn is pretty much assured of a playoff birth as long as we can pay the lumber on the last three.

WORST CASE scenario is where the committee has to make the champ winner important
1. Georgia (13-0 )SEC champ
2. Ohio st (13-0 )B12 champ
3. TCU (13-0 )B10 champ

4. Oregon(12-1)PAC12 champ
4.Clemson(12-1)ACC champ
4.Tulane(12-1) Best Group of 5 Champ

It has already started, people are saying Oregon maybe has the best offense now (because they beatup 1-8 Colorado) and that they are better than their performance against Georgia...

I am telling you, we still need some teams to lose to make playoffs.

Not true - after the field goal on their first drive in the second half - UGA had only 11 plays after that - we had 21. There was a forced fumble and two 3 / out possessions where our defense stopped them with negative yards. They did a very lousy job of "milking" the clock in the 4th quarter if that is really what they were trying to do.
Good or bad job aside, it’s what happened. The calls got much more conservative bc they wanted the clock to run. Kirby bet on us not being able to score 21 the way our offense was playing. He was right. Will it bite him one day? Sure. But it didn’t today. You really telling me the game you watched made you feel that they were only 14 pt better than us. Not the same game I watched. We were outperformed in every aspect of the game.

WORST CASE scenario, where the committee has to make the champ winner important
1. Georgia (13-0 )SEC champ
2. Ohio st (13-0 )B12 champ
3. TCU (13-0 )B10 champ

4. Oregon(12-1)PAC12 champ
4.Clemson(12-1)ACC champ
4.Tulane(12-1) Best overall Champ

Stick a fork in Clemson. They won't pass a one loss Tennessee even if they win out. Not with this blowout loss. Their great wins are all folding as well. Syracuse lost and will be unranked. Wake Forest is losing. NC State will still be ranked but barely.

They’d still get another win over however high UNC ends up ranked. Just worth noting with your hypothetical there, not a for or counter argument.

Oregon would need to beat USC, Utah and Oregon State. They have one win over a team ranked in the top 25 in the poll, UCLA. If they win all those games and those teams continue to be ranked - then their resume gets stronger - Oregon State lost so it may just be Utah and USC. Clemson does not have any other ranked opponents on their schedule, though they will meet one in the championship game.

They have left out 1 loss conference champs in the past in preference to 2 teams from the SEC. It would really help if some of those other teams had a second loss.

Good or bad job aside, it’s what happened. The calls got much more conservative bc they wanted the clock to run. Kirby bet on us not being able to score 21 the way our offense was playing. He was right. Will it bite him one day? Sure. But it didn’t today. You really telling me the game you watched made you feel that they were only 14 pt better than us. Not the same game I watched. We were outperformed in every aspect of the game.

We didn't play well - but if I get to ignore the final score then UGA really lost to Missouri then. And Alabama has 4 losses, 2 more to those Texas schools.

Bama and Clemson losing tonite helps us, especially Bam losing. That basically eliminates them There's a lot of FB to play yet. Anything can happen. Our SOS may just put us in the CFP, if things break the right way. I've got positive vibes about it. Not giving up yet.

Reactions: volbound1700
Latest ESPN Projection. Yikes.
Going to need a lot more help than you all keep proclaiming.

Attachments

• 9C04C69E-1C76-4557-9280-56C435F561C7.jpeg
    9C04C69E-1C76-4557-9280-56C435F561C7.jpeg
    551.7 KB · Views: 96
Oregon would need to beat USC, Utah and Oregon State. They have one win over a team ranked in the top 25 in the poll, UCLA. If they win all those games and those teams continue to be ranked - then their resume gets stronger - Oregon State lost so it may just be Utah and USC. Clemson does not have any other ranked opponents on their schedule, though they will meet one in the championship game.

They have left out 1 loss conference champs in the past in preference to 2 teams from the SEC. It would really help if some of those other teams had a second loss.

Oregon and USC do not play this year. Oregon has home games left against Washington and Utah and then travels to Oregon State. Definitely a tough stretch and per Oregon fans, toughest stretch they have left. They then get Pac12 Championship.

If Oregon wins out and then gets a one loss USC or one loss UCLA in title game, I think that becomes a play-in game for the playoff.

Until Oregon, UCLA, and USC lose, any of them is a threat to Tennessee's playoff hopes.

I think Clemson is gone and isn't coming back. TCU is still in the mix as well.

I also don't feel safe with 2 B1G teams still in the picture. The loser of Michigan-Ohio State could sneak in if it is a close game (especially if it is Ohio State. Don't under estimate the media's love for Ohio State).

Despite all of the downsides that I point out here, things are looking pretty good for us.

Reactions: volwindy
TCU will drop one of the next 2. Oregon is the team we will be battling against. USC could beat Oregon but then they’ll be talks about them. I think you’ve got

Georgia and OSU/Mich winner as locks. The other 2 will be up for grabs.

We didn't play well - but if I get to ignore the final score then UGA really lost to Missouri then. And Alabama has 4 losses, 2 more to those Texas schools.
I see what you tried to do there. Bottom line is there’s no denying Georgia is better than us. They showed that today. We both know Georgia is leaps and bounds better than mizzou. They have the talent and may have just not shown it every week. The difference being that we just simply don’t have the talent to show in some positions.

I posted this in another thread - but my .02 is Tennessee is in the playoffs as long as we win out.
We will be ranked No worse than 5 with the ohio Michigan loser falling behind us after their game.
Said differently, Tenn is pretty much assured of a playoff birth as long as we can pay the lumber on the last three.
We need Georgia to win out just as badly as we need to win out I think.

VN Store

Back