'19 CB S Anthony Harris (UT commit 6/8/18)

He can make the grades to qualify in spring semester, sign and enroll in June and count toward 2020. An improved ACT score can lower the core GPA needed, making it easier to qualify. If he needs extra help getting in, he'll have to take online classes this summer and hope to qualify before fall camp. He knows what he needs to be academically eligible, and UT will know by June if he's on track.

Couldn't a kid always just keep working through the Fall, pass whatever was needed, then join in January? I know many kids don't want a year off ball, but getting into s&c, spring practice, etc vs juco (which it seems every kid hates, re: last chance) might be more valuable.

Couldn't a kid always just keep working through the Fall, pass whatever was needed, then join in January? I know many kids don't want a year off ball, but getting into s&c, spring practice, etc vs juco (which it seems every kid hates, re: last chance) might be more valuable.

You would think more would try this route.

He basically just shows up in the fall and is on scholarship...right? That’s how blue shirts work unless I’m missing something
You're missing something.
Blue shirt means they go through year one, then get the scholly year two.

You're missing something.
Blue shirt means they go through year one, then get the scholly year two.

They can do it either way:

"There are a couple of different ways you can award a blueshirt scholarship," one Big 12 coach said. "We'll have some cases of a player arriving for the start of fall practices, and we'll then immediately put them on scholarship after the end of fall camp, then count the scholarship forward - against the 2015 class, for example - and announce them on the following signing day.

"The other way is if there's a player, and we know we'll have a scholarship coming open at a certain position. We tell them if you come as a freshman, pay your own way, a scholarship will come open at this point in time, and it's yours."

Crabtree: Are blueshirts next?

So we will miss summer workouts but he might need the time in the classroom anyways? Hope he shows up to fall camp.

When Pruitt was talking about great ball skills and how it translates to the next level I thought about Harris.

He would blue shirt because he wants to play for Pruitt and he could enroll this year after qualifying, like Thompson who got coached up and started as a freshman. Does that seem right?
Hope this helps...
The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's scholarship total, as long as they don't play. Here's what it means to be "recruited," according to the NCAA:
  • Was provided an official visit to the campus;
  • Had arranged, in-person, off-campus contact with a coach; or
  • Was sent an NLI or other written scholarship offer.
Coaches can contact players and have them on campus for unofficial visits — when the recruits pay their ways — without technically recruiting them. Essentially, as long as a recruit doesn't take an official visit or host one of that school's coaches, he wasn't "recruited" by that school.

So, Thompson did not blueshirt; he just signed late?
Looks like it. Just looked at his recruiting profile he never took an OV just unofficial. Signed and enrolled in May, but since he played last year he counted against the 18’ class.

Reactions: Vol Main
Hope this helps...
The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's scholarship total, as long as they don't play. Here's what it means to be "recruited," according to the NCAA:
  • Was provided an official visit to the campus;
  • Had arranged, in-person, off-campus contact with a coach; or
  • Was sent an NLI or other written scholarship offer.
Coaches can contact players and have them on campus for unofficial visits — when the recruits pay their ways — without technically recruiting them. Essentially, as long as a recruit doesn't take an official visit or host one of that school's coaches, he wasn't "recruited" by that school.

The only part of this that's wrong is about not playing. Blueshirts have nothing to do with playing or not. Jashon Robertson was a confirmed blueshirt and played from day 1.

Remember seeing that article before, written just as blueshirting was becoming popular, and I just don't think the writer quite understood it.

Last edited:
The only part of this that's wrong is about not playing. Blueshirts have nothing to do with playing or not. Jashon Robertson was a confirmed blueshirt and played from day 1.
Just did a little more research, you’re right they’re considered a walk on then after fall camp they’re put on scholarship and can play and still count toward the upcoming class.

Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol
SI reported him signed. Did UT announce him or not?

" He was joined by four-star linebacker Henry To'oto'o, four-star safety Anthony Harris and three-star cornerback Kenney Solomon to bulk up the first class "

Not announced, hasn't signed. My dog knows more about recruiting than SI. They need to stick to the only thing that keeps them relevant, boobs in swimsuits.

Crazy that we don't talk about him much now but if he qualifies and and gets in campus he will probably be one of the guys turning heads immediately like Bryce did
yep. i think he kinda went overlooked cause he wasn't a regular visitor and there just wasn't any drama with this kid.

but i loved seeing the updates on his exploits last season. kid can ball. heckuvan athlete.

Reactions: T Dog and SugarCC

VN Store

Back