'19 CB S Anthony Harris (UT commit 6/8/18)

It opens a spot by not taking it away. We don’t HAVE to utilize blueshirts. It’s a rut Butch Jones put us in. A player you don’t officially recruit isn’t usually top quality and it’s a crummy pool to fish in. Hope Pruitt weans us off the pattern.

Me too.

Reactions: butchna
Blueshirt, Count Foward, whatever it takes.

Max out this class, and the next. Keep going until the roster has flipped and stabilized. THEN catch up when we can afford to be picky and take a class of 20-22.

JMO.
Typical blueshirts don’t stabilize your roster. They’re developmental so they need a redshirt. So why not take a higher rated talent in that spot the next class? JMO

Numbers won’t push him out because he will sign after NSD if he qualifies. Not sure why this is difficult to understand. He’s a ball player so butchna needs to quit acting like Bruin

Right, but he is still signing for a Fall scholarship. He's not grayshirting, therefore his signing is for the 19-20 academic year and if we've already signed 25, no more are allowed. This is why blueshirting is effectively done away with, outside the prior rollover loophole.

But I'd be surprised if this happens anyway. IF what people are saying is true and he's open to BS, surely the staff will leave a spot. Cox or Russ odd man out.

Last edited:
I think there’s a strong argument to be made that quality is more important than quantity in recruiting.

Butch took some huge classes and we never saw much benefit because half of the kids got processed out.

Clemson has taken 17, 14, 21, and 24 kids in their last 4 classes and is on top of CFB because they’ve landed studs.

True. LWS tracks attrition and he said there was definitely a correlation between larger classes and a higher PERCENTAGE of attrition.

But how many blueshirts are we really doing this year? 1? 2? Better than last year and getting out of the borrowing model.

No one really knows, but I've heard more than a few people say 3 is what we blueshirted last year. So that would be the most we could bs this year to get to 25. Could be 2 though and 24 is the max.

Reactions: Brillovol
Typical blueshirts don’t stabilize your roster. They’re developmental so they need a redshirt. So why not take a higher rated talent in that spot the next class? JMO
It difficult to dig yourself from a grave when you have only a few shovels. We need players who want to play smart tough football and who can play the game well. To do that, there are lots of players who don't how to "give their all" in the effort of playing football. The atmosphere must be changed; the quicker the better. If htere are players who can help the team available who fit the description, grab them now and finish the rebuild as quickly as possible. JMO.

It difficult to dig yourself from a grave when you have only a few shovels. We need players who want to play smart tough football and who can play the game well. To do that, there are lots of players who don't how to "give their all" in the effort of playing football. The atmosphere must be changed; the quicker the better. If htere are players who can help the team available who fit the description, grab them now and finish the rebuild as quickly as possible. JMO.
And my contention is those types need some recruiting to land. So they don’t fit the typical blueshirt.

We can, up to around 22. Right?

Then I say take 2-3 more developmental diamonds if you will, and count em forward so we can get them on campus earlier.

We eventually have to pay the bill. But I say keep bringing numbers into the program until we’re in a position to take a Clemson style class of 20 kids that are all studs.

JMO.

We can, up to around 22. Right?

Then I say take 2-3 more developmental diamonds if you will, and count em forward so we can get them on campus earlier.

We eventually have to pay the bill. But I say keep bringing numbers into the program until we’re in a position to take a Clemson style class of 20 kids that are all studs.

JMO.
Just for perspective, this rampant blueshirting thing was an innovation of Butch. Had never heard of blueshirting before his first class. We did load up on bodies with the only one of note being Jashon Robertson. He was unique in that he didn’t give us the time of day before committing to Vandy. When Franklin pulled up stakes he had a change of heart last second and signed up. But he was a high 3 star and had options...not a developmental type. Clemson didn’t go this route building their program. I’ll leave it there.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
I think that’s a given. Larger classes stacked on top of one another is a gauantee of attrition to stay under the 85.

Not just back to back large classes. He tracks all teams and there was an overall correlation. Not just any type of attrition, but specifically from the larger classes.

2014 was crazy in itself. Believe something like 8 guys left from that class before we even hit Fall. Waste of spots

Just for perspective, this rampant blueshirting thing was an innovation of Butch. Had never heard of blueshirting before his first class. We did load up on bodies with the only one of note being Jashon Robertson. He was unique in that he didn’t give us the time of day before committing to Vandy. When Franklin pulled up stakes he had a change of heart last second and signed up. But he was a high 3 star and had options...not a developmental type. Clemson didn’t go this route building their program. I’ll leave it there.
You’re right. Clemson did not build their roster this way.

I only referenced them for the “type” of class they have taken in recent years. One that may only be 18-22 kids big, but practically all are blue chips.

Eventually, we will need to take a class like that. If we intend on paying the piper some day.

I only referenced them for the “type” of class they have taken in recent years. One that may only be 18-22 kids big, but practically all are blue chips.

Eventually, we will need to take a class like that. If we intend on paying the piper some day.

Doesn't have to be so cut and dry (suddenly taking a class of 22). Just take 1 less blueshirt each year and we'll be clear in 2-3 years. Seems like the easiest way is to just ween off.

Not just back to back large classes. He tracks all teams and there was an overall correlation. Not just any type of attrition, but specifically from the larger classes.

2014 was crazy in itself. Believe something like 8 guys left from that class before we even hit Fall. Waste of spots
Yea. The ‘14 class was something else.

Waiting to see what Pruitt can do bringing in numbers. Hopefully he’s better at it, and won’t have to bring in large classes for long.

We know Butch couldn’t evaluate kids. And he damn sure didn’t develop them once they were on campus.

Doesn't have to be so cut and dry (suddenly taking a class of 22). Just take 1 less blueshirt each year and we'll be clear in 2-3 years. Seems like the easiest way is to just ween off.
That would certainly work as well.

I’m for whatever strategy flips and stabilizes the roster most efficiently.

And Bama did that last year hence their possession of practically infinite counters THIS class.

VN Store

Back